• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Alternative to youtube

thejuice

Would you pay for a YouTube style video site that didn't have all the toxic, hyperbolic content that's meant to distract you? Does.it already exist?

i don't like the direction google is going for some reasons, i wish there were an alternative but usually the other sites don't have enough stuff.

There are plenty of alternatives to YouTube already, the problem is these alternative websites either lack the breadth of content that YouTube already has or they're designed to cater to...unsavory people (read: bigots and racists who want a place to spew their hateful rhetoric without getting their accounts rightfully banned by YouTube).

Try odysee. I don't use it myself, but heard that it's an alternative to YouTube. When I use YouTube, which isn't very often, I use extensions to block out almost everything. I find YouTube more palatable that way.

Tbh, probably not. There have been intelligent pay-for sites that interested me, but at the end of the day I never join.

The only online things that has ever spurred me to pay for are a few games and platforms that have TV shows that I have become completely hooked on. But they have to be really great. Like a supernatural horror series about a girls soccer team that crashes in the wilderness and turns cannibal..

;)

Would you pay for a YouTube style video site that didn't have all the toxic, hyperbolic content that's meant to distract you?
No. I do not pay for any on-line service.
Does.it already exist?
Not to my experience. The ones I have perused either lacked creative contributions, or they catered to the very narrow interests of a very few contributors.

I will check them all out, thank you.

Just had video recomended with clickbait title 'Is x Killing You?' and 'Worse than x' (redacted for fellow health anxiety sufferers).

Ive had enough, it really is rotten business practice. There must be some link between anxiety and clicking links more.

"Catch-22"

In the Internet world profit is defined either through invasive data harvesting to sell anything and everything about your online habits to the highest bidder who wants to sell people what they probably don't need.

Or that they subject them to programming without charge that requires being subjected to massive and repetitive advertisements. Along with flawed algorithms to predict what they think you want to see.

The point being that whatever "alternatives" online media offers is still going to get you one way or another.

Mitigating it all by using various browser extensions to block advertising as best as is possible. It never stops annoying me to go from using my PC and keeping so much advertising a moot point, while using my widescreen television and Roku, being forcefully buried in advertising.

I still recall in the mid 90s when I told my mother I no longer wanted a subscription to Natl. Geographic magazine, given that 50% of that very expensive quality paper was mind-numbing advertising. A poor value, despite some great content.

Last edited:
Maybe a life without YouTube is what I need. I can't even imagine it to be honest, im used to free, unlimited video content since 2005, even though it's becoming more and more difficult to find anything that's not complete junk made by con artists and chancers. Even when the higher brain knows that Google is manipulating me, my lower brain still clicks on stuff I don't want to eventually

Maybe a life without YouTube is what I need. I can't even imagine it to be honest, im used to free, unlimited video content since 2005, even though it's becoming more and more difficult to find anything that's not complete junk made by con artists and chancers. Even when the higher brain knows that Google is manipulating me, my lower brain still clicks on stuff I don't want to eventually
I mean there are browser extensions you can use to remove/hide clickbait titles and videos from your feed (as well as just purging your watch history and stuff) until you don't get recommended that type of content.

The thing about YouTube is that it tends to show you more of what you click on and it's also algorithmically set up to try and get you to fall down new rabbit holes. So suppose you watch a few videos on politics, it will spam you with suggestions on that subject.

One way you can discourage this is to click on the menu button next to each video link and select "not interested" on the ones you'd rather not see and each time it will get a little better at showing you content you'd prefer to watch.

The issue is that it tends to get a bit "samey" in terms of what videos it suggests to you and you have to go in search of videos or your feed becomes a bit repetitive. I'm so specific with the YouTube algorithm that often my feed is just the same 20 videos listed over and over for several hours and perhaps 5 of those are ones I've watched before.

I mostly don't like videos at all. I mostly read. I'd rather read about something that watch someone talk about it.

I've been slowly using more, to find out how to do various mechanical things that I have no idea how to do.

I use it so little, the extra suggestions are appreciated. I didn't know all that was on you tube, for example. My main beef, is that I might see several suggestions I want to look at, but once I pick one, the original suggestions are replaced with something else.

I watch a variety of YouTubers and then subscribe to the ones I like. They generally don't have a political slant. Then I go through the ones I subscribe to and pick the interesting ones. There is a difference between watching informative videos (PBS Spacetime is an example) and watching videos that are primarily political. The search bar is your friend.

I don't have a problem with all the clickbait. Clickbait is usually obvious. Subscribe to quality sources. Your algorithm will eventually start to reflect your subscriptions, though I don't pay lots of attention to what is recommended.

If I want to hear the news, I'll pull up Ground News rather than watch a video.

Well, I doubt YouTube really has an alternative to compete with it today. It's where everyone plays games and publishes their vlogs, other than perhaps Twitch, which generally removes a stream unless you manually turn off that option.

The constant ads do get annoying. Try installing CleanTube on your mobile, so no ads will play.

If you want to learn stuff (educational videos) there’s Skillshare. Thousands of videos across “Creative”, “Business”, “Technology” and “Lifestyle”. I’ve read good reviews of it. No longer has a free version, just paid $168/yr with 1 month free trial. (I only go to YouTube to “learn” stuff, so I’m generally following a link or someone’s recommendation, I watch that, then I leave.)

New Threads

Top Bottom