• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Allow me to introduce myself

Alex Dame

Startouched
My name is Mark Alexander Dame, though my friends and family call me Alex Dame. As you are undoubtedly aware, I have aspberger's syndrome, and it makes it hard to relate to other people. Even my own family has trouble understanding me, and I, likewise, have trouble understanding THEM. Of course, my mental/emotional condition isn't the only thing I want to mention about myself.

I'm thirty-one years old, and I have an older brother named John (We call him Jamie), and a mother who has been widowed for over twenty years. My older brother has long-since moved out and gotten married, and now has three children, two of which are twin boys. My brother has also gotten two master's degrees and now has a good paying job related to computers. My mother is retired, and I, personally, do not have a full-time job right now, but I'm in college to get an associative arts degree in mutimedia and videogame arts at Canada college (The Canada in the United States. The enye above the n is hard for me to make.).

Unlike my brother, I have no children, have never been married, still live with my mother, and cannot drive because the whole thing about parking between two cars is too nerve-wracking for me. The job I DO have is a personal assistant for a close friend of mine who, like my mom, is now retired, and who has seven cats and a very loud, noisy, undisciplined Schnauzer. The job is as a personal assistant, and I do many different tasks for her, primarily cleaning and taking care of the pets. In addition to going to work and going to school, I tend to go to the YMCA gym as often as I can and work out. However, that's still not all I want to tell you about myself.

My interests are the majority of what makes me different from the people around me, though I have a hard time believing they're weird when there's been so much effort having been devoted to them. My interests include animals, classic cartoons, writing, classic comedy, classic science fiction, classic horror, and art. I've always enjoyed petting and cuddling with furry animals such as cats and dogs, and found animals a fascinating subject for research. What's more, I personally think pets are more likable than human children. They never talk back, require allowances, or go to college, and that's just the start.

Classic cartoons are a big part of my interests, as my parents showed me many older cartoons and other media growing up, and, when reviewing the kinds of cartoons I grew up with (Including The Real Ghostbusters and the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), I became utterly convinced that cartoons have gone downhill for at least thirty years now. I've seen cartoons from various points of the 1900's, and seen animation from different parts of the world. As such, I've become totally disenchanted with present-day cartoons and believe them to have less than half the charm and originality of their predecessors. I am especially disgusted with Japanese animation, as pretty much everything I've seen Japanese animated has revolved around fighting and violence in one way or another. Animated MOVIES have also gone down hill, and Disney's Frozen doesn't have half the romance and charm that Sleeping Beauty did.

As for writing, I have a very bold and vivid imagination, and I used to draw every chance I got (Mainly monsters and other phantasmagoria), but I eventually found that I wasn't very good at drawing (Though, by today's standards, I may be able to draw good enough cartoons). So, after a while, I shifted to writing, and worked on increasingly more thoughtful and elaborate stories and storylines, coming up with documents over a hundred pages long. It may be partly because of an ability to think outside the box that I was able to write so much, and that I was able to see all of the charm being sucked out of today's movies and shows, particularly present-day remakes.

Classic comedy is another thing my parents brought me up on, and I saw many movies starring Abbot and Costello. In time, I grew to research Laurel and Hardy, W.C. Fields, The Marx Brothers, and Buster Keaton. My favorite old-fashioned comedians, though, were the Three Stooges. The people in my life, particularly women, don't like the Three Stooges because of the "violence" involved. Personally, I am no lover of violence either, and the intense violence seen in most action movies is repulsive to me, since I've had to supplement my baser side with language and words.

I don't see The Three Stooges as violent, since they never get injured and sent to the hospital even after such cartoonish gags as Curly getting sawed on the head, and instead bending the saw as a result. If there's any violence involved in the Three Stooges, it is brief and done for the sake of humor. Also, while the so-called "heroes" in today's action movies hurt people with the idea of being righteous and doing goodness, the Stooges are at least honest enough to hurt only each other, and only do so out of their own stupidity. What's more, they come up with surprisingly clever wordplay that sounds like simple idiotic misunderstanding ("Do you even know what Propaganda is?" "Soitenly! A Propaganda marries a momma ganda, and that's where baby geese come from.").

As for classic horror and science fiction, I'm not saying that older science fiction and horror movies don't have violence in them, but at least it's less graphic and less intense than the movies of today. I've gotten to stand and even appreciate the campy styles of older films by watching episodes of the show Mystery Science Theater 3000, but I've always had a sort of bizarre fascination with supernatural monsters and horror. I even had horror pop-up books as a kid.

Finally, art is related to cartoons, comic books, movies, fashion, and, of course drawing, which I would need to do in order to best get the points across in regards to my writing. I'm currently doing a lot of writing in my spare time about anthropomorphic furry animals (Or Furries). Specifically, an arctic fox, a raccoon, a skunk, a rabbit, a black cat, a bear, and a squirrel, each with his or her own personality. Drawing these characters and other furries is even more difficult than drawing humans, as I've got to add animal heads, paw-like hands and feet, and tails to each character. However, they each have their own influences as well, mostly driven by pop culture cartoons of the past.

If any of you who read this are interested in Writing, Art, classic cartoons, classic horror, classic science fiction, and/or classic comedy, I'd be more than happy to get to know you. However, if you're interested primarily in newer media, such as the new Avenger's movie that recently came out, I'm afraid I won't be able to relate to you very well. Present-day superheroes all seem to me like nothing but bitter, overly-powerful bullies that vent their frustrations and deep-seated issues by beating wrongdoers to a pulp. But, that's just one guy's opinion. Anyway, if you want my opinion on something, I always seem to have one I'm happy to share!

Welcome aboard :)
image.jpg

Hi Alex, welcome to the AC. Your intro title made me think of the lyrics for "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones.

My name is Mark Alexander Dame, though my friends and family call me Alex Dame. As you are undoubtedly aware, I have aspberger's syndrome, and it makes it hard to relate to other people. Even my own family has trouble understanding me, and I, likewise, have trouble understanding THEM. Of course, my mental/emotional condition isn't the only thing I want to mention about myself.

I'm thirty-one years old, and I have an older brother named John (We call him Jamie), and a mother who has been widowed for over twenty years. My older brother has long-since moved out and gotten married, and now has three children, two of which are twin boys. My brother has also gotten two master's degrees and now has a good paying job related to computers. My mother is retired, and I, personally, do not have a full-time job right now, but I'm in college to get an associative arts degree in mutimedia and videogame arts at Canada college (The Canada in the United States. The enye above the n is hard for me to make.).

Unlike my brother, I have no children, have never been married, still live with my mother, and cannot drive because the whole thing about parking between two cars is too nerve-wracking for me. The job I DO have is a personal assistant for a close friend of mine who, like my mom, is now retired, and who has seven cats and a very loud, noisy, undisciplined Schnauzer. The job is as a personal assistant, and I do many different tasks for her, primarily cleaning and taking care of the pets. In addition to going to work and going to school, I tend to go to the YMCA gym as often as I can and work out. However, that's still not all I want to tell you about myself.

My interests are the majority of what makes me different from the people around me, though I have a hard time believing they're weird when there's been so much effort having been devoted to them. My interests include animals, classic cartoons, writing, classic comedy, classic science fiction, classic horror, and art. I've always enjoyed petting and cuddling with furry animals such as cats and dogs, and found animals a fascinating subject for research. What's more, I personally think pets are more likable than human children. They never talk back, require allowances, or go to college, and that's just the start.

Classic cartoons are a big part of my interests, as my parents showed me many older cartoons and other media growing up, and, when reviewing the kinds of cartoons I grew up with (Including The Real Ghostbusters and the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), I became utterly convinced that cartoons have gone downhill for at least thirty years now. I've seen cartoons from various points of the 1900's, and seen animation from different parts of the world. As such, I've become totally disenchanted with present-day cartoons and believe them to have less than half the charm and originality of their predecessors. I am especially disgusted with Japanese animation, as pretty much everything I've seen Japanese animated has revolved around fighting and violence in one way or another. Animated MOVIES have also gone down hill, and Disney's Frozen doesn't have half the romance and charm that Sleeping Beauty did.

As for writing, I have a very bold and vivid imagination, and I used to draw every chance I got (Mainly monsters and other phantasmagoria), but I eventually found that I wasn't very good at drawing (Though, by today's standards, I may be able to draw good enough cartoons). So, after a while, I shifted to writing, and worked on increasingly more thoughtful and elaborate stories and storylines, coming up with documents over a hundred pages long. It may be partly because of an ability to think outside the box that I was able to write so much, and that I was able to see all of the charm being sucked out of today's movies and shows, particularly present-day remakes.

Classic comedy is another thing my parents brought me up on, and I saw many movies starring Abbot and Costello. In time, I grew to research Laurel and Hardy, W.C. Fields, The Marx Brothers, and Buster Keaton. My favorite old-fashioned comedians, though, were the Three Stooges. The people in my life, particularly women, don't like the Three Stooges because of the "violence" involved. Personally, I am no lover of violence either, and the intense violence seen in most action movies is repulsive to me, since I've had to supplement my baser side with language and words.

I don't see The Three Stooges as violent, since they never get injured and sent to the hospital even after such cartoonish gags as Curly getting sawed on the head, and instead bending the saw as a result. If there's any violence involved in the Three Stooges, it is brief and done for the sake of humor. Also, while the so-called "heroes" in today's action movies hurt people with the idea of being righteous and doing goodness, the Stooges are at least honest enough to hurt only each other, and only do so out of their own stupidity. What's more, they come up with surprisingly clever wordplay that sounds like simple idiotic misunderstanding ("Do you even know what Propaganda is?" "Soitenly! A Propaganda marries a momma ganda, and that's where baby geese come from.").

As for classic horror and science fiction, I'm not saying that older science fiction and horror movies don't have violence in them, but at least it's less graphic and less intense than the movies of today. I've gotten to stand and even appreciate the campy styles of older films by watching episodes of the show Mystery Science Theater 3000, but I've always had a sort of bizarre fascination with supernatural monsters and horror. I even had horror pop-up books as a kid.

Finally, art is related to cartoons, comic books, movies, fashion, and, of course drawing, which I would need to do in order to best get the points across in regards to my writing. I'm currently doing a lot of writing in my spare time about anthropomorphic furry animals (Or Furries). Specifically, an arctic fox, a raccoon, a skunk, a rabbit, a black cat, a bear, and a squirrel, each with his or her own personality. Drawing these characters and other furries is even more difficult than drawing humans, as I've got to add animal heads, paw-like hands and feet, and tails to each character. However, they each have their own influences as well, mostly driven by pop culture cartoons of the past.

If any of you who read this are interested in Writing, Art, classic cartoons, classic horror, classic science fiction, and/or classic comedy, I'd be more than happy to get to know you. However, if you're interested primarily in newer media, such as the new Avenger's movie that recently came out, I'm afraid I won't be able to relate to you very well. Present-day superheroes all seem to me like nothing but bitter, overly-powerful bullies that vent their frustrations and deep-seated issues by beating wrongdoers to a pulp. But, that's just one guy's opinion. Anyway, if you want my opinion on something, I always seem to have one I'm happy to share!
I loved the three stooges - awesome :D
Never considered them violent, just very funny in a slapstick way.

Hi Alex I love classic cartoons and also old comics as well,I also like to draw cartoons as well,it's been a big interest of mine since I was a kid and I agree about frozen I prefer more romantic animation my favourite is beauty and the beast.

Welcome Alex.

Just a bit of advice, it probably is not wise to share your name and the names of family members anywhere on the internet.

I am especially disgusted with Japanese animation, as pretty much everything I've seen Japanese animated has revolved around fighting and violence in one way or another.
It's true, there is a lot of violent anime out there, but it is not all of that nature. I might recommend films like "My Neighbor Totoro", or actually the majority of Studio Ghibli's output, if you are looking for non-violent story telling with a lot of heart. "Tokyo Godfathers" is also a great movie about a trio of homeless people who find an abandoned baby of Christmas eve.

There is a whole genre in Japan dedicated to "slice of life" comedy and drama. Shows like Lucky Star, Azumanga Daio, Wandering Suns, Space Brother's, and Polarbear Caffee all have very gentle story lines focusing on people's daily live. The main criticism most people have of this genre is that there isn't enough drama and "nothing happens", or that too many of these shows take place in school, a period of life for which many Japanese feel a strong nostalgia. Many of these works may also fall into the Iyishikei category which is designed to have a healing or soothing effect on the mind.

I am not saying you will like any of these shows. You seem to have your own distinct tastes. I just want to clarify that Japanese animation is very diverse, and that many people's impression of the idiom is based on what little finds its way to western television.

Last edited:
Hi Alex I love classic cartoons and also old comics as well,I also like to draw cartoons as well,it's been a big interest of mine since I was a kid and I agree about frozen I prefer more romantic animation my favourite is beauty and the beast.
I don't know if this is too sudden or too forward or anything, but as an artist, would you be interested in drawing a few commissioned illustrations for me? If you ARE interested, would it make any difference if you were paid, and if so, how much? I've heard that a reasonable price for a single professional drawing would be 100$. However, what I'm thinking of is at least seven drawings, with color optional. Anyway, if you ARE interested, we can work over the details of how many drawings or how much they cost, or exactly what to put in them. Also, are you any good at drawing anthropomorphic animals (Furries)? Because I'm mainly thinking of illustrations for my characters. Anyway, you can get back to me if you're interested.

I don't know if this is too sudden or too forward or anything, but as an artist, would you be interested in drawing a few commissioned illustrations for me? If you ARE interested, would it make any difference if you were paid, and if so, how much? I've heard that a reasonable price for a single professional drawing would be 100$. However, what I'm thinking of is at least seven drawings, with color optional. Anyway, if you ARE interested, we can work over the details of how many drawings or how much they cost, or exactly what to put in them. Also, are you any good at drawing anthropomorphic animals (Furries)? Because I'm mainly thinking of illustrations for my characters. Anyway, you can get back to me if you're interested.
Hi thanks for the compliment but I don't draw commissions it's just a hobby of mine and only draw for myself but thank you anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom