• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice for starting a Petition

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
So Dr. Scott Hahn, a convert and well-known Catholic Apologist has recently dismissed Level-1 Autism as a fad. (See here: Dr. Hahn: It’s not funny | Autism Consecrated) In response to this, I’m thinking of calling on Claritans to boycott his books, and starting a petition calling on him to apologize and retract his statements. I’d like tips and advice on to go about starting a petition and promoting it; I’m not looking to win, success while great will be unlikely in regards to this as we are such a tiny minority, (despite allegedly being a “fad,” according to Scott Hahn) I just want send the message, that we won’t things like this lying down, that we will speak-up, when things like this happen.

Wanting to boycott his books because he doesn't agree with your opinions about autism reminds me of bullies who cancel people because they don't agree with their political ideology.

Did you read the book? I don't think it's fair to boycott it and demand an apology based on one potentially biased review. The reviewer could have misunderstood the author due to common biases and misrepresented his views because of it.

Wanting to boycott his books because he doesn't agree with your opinions about autism reminds me of bullies who cancel people because they don't agree with their political ideology.

Did you read the book? I don't think it's fair to boycott it and demand an apology based on one potentially biased review. The reviewer could have misunderstood the author due to common biases and misrepresented his views because of it.
Is claiming that Level-1Autism is a fad just “disagreement?” Do you not want Level-1 Autistic people to receive support?

Is claiming that Level-1Autism is a fad just “disagreement?”

I think he's referring to high functioning celebrities who come out as autistic even though they only have very mild autistic traits that aren't disabling. They may be ASD 0.5 (not autistic) but diagnosed as ASD 1 (mild autism) due to the popularity of the diagnosis. Many people think autism is over-diagnosed with psychologists diagnosing autism whenever someone is odd or gifted in any way. Some people question whether it is necessary or a good idea to diagnose these people with autism and think it would be better to just tell them they're odd or gifted.

Do you not want Level-1 Autistic people to receive support?

I do. I think the purpose of his book was to support autistic people in the priesthood by teaching them how to behave so they can be effective priests.

Someone has suggested challenging him to a debate, I'll be emailing him later on today.

I think this is a better idea than boycotting books. It might help to read the entire foreward by Scott Hahn to see the context of his statements before debating him. Given that he only wrote the foreward (Deacon Lawrence R. Sutton is the author), I'm not sure how interested he'll be in debating you but I would be interesting in listening to a debate about autism if he agrees to it.

Generally speaking, petitions don't do anything. And without knowing much (just reading your link), it may be correct that Autism is a fad. That is not say that all Autism is not real, just that it's also become somewhat of a fad.

Generally speaking, petitions don't do anything. And without knowing much (just reading your link), it may be correct that Autism is a fad. That is not say that all Autism is not real, just that it's also become somewhat of a fad.
Autism, the new ADHD!

I think he's referring to high functioning celebrities who come out as autistic even though they only have very mild autistic traits that aren't disabling. They may be ASD 0.5 (not autistic) but diagnosed as ASD 1 (mild autism) due to the popularity of the diagnosis. Many people think autism is over-diagnosed with psychologists diagnosing autism whenever someone is odd or gifted in any way. Some people question whether it is necessary or a good idea to diagnose these people with autism and think it would be better to just tell them they're odd or gifted.

Autism, the new ADHD!
There’s no evidence for this, this is extremely harmful and dangerous! This is why I’m printing out diagnostic material for my future children in case they re-define Autism to deny the existence of Level-1 Autism!

Someone has suggested challenging him to a debate, I'll be emailing him later on today.
I’ll be composing my email tomorrow, I can’t tonight, today was a disaster. I’m wondering if I should call on the Claritans to email Dr. Scott Hahn as well and also challenge him on this.

I will be composing the email today if I have time.

So what do you think, shall I encourage the Claritans to send, not angry emails, but emails challenging Dr. Scott Han’s claims?

Autism, the new ADHD!
It may be the case that there is some misdiagnosis out there but, again, there is zero proof for this; this frankly stems much more from the belief, that we Level-1 Autistic people can’t really be Autistic because we do too well and are too happy and content with being Autistic and that can’t be right because AuTIsm BAd!!!

It may be the case that there is some misdiagnosis out there but, again, there is zero proof for this; this frankly stems much more from the belief, that we Level-1 Autistic people can’t really be Autistic because we do too well and are too happy and content with being Autistic and that can’t be right because AuTIsm BAd!!!
I was joking.

New Threads

Top Bottom