• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Acceptance

C

Chris

Did anyone have any trouble with people 'accepting' their diagnosis after being told? I know I gave Willow a bit of a tough time a couple of years ago when she was diagnosed, because I simply couldn't beleive it. I feel terrible about it now, but I really didn't have a clue what I was talking about back then. She just seemed so normal to me. Now I realise it's just because we're the same. :)

Anyone had grief from family or friends who haven't believed them when informed of your diagnosis?

My Mum got me dx'd and I didn't even know I was getting dx'd at the time.
I didn't feel anything when she told me I had AS tbh. I'm a bit pissed now though that she didn't tell me earlier. There's also other diagnosis's I've found out about through paperwork and crap she's not told me about :S.
IDK what family members think about it. One friend was surprised when I told them I had AS but that's it.
EMZ=]

That's a bit rough, you of all people have the right to know what you have! :wtf: :blink:

Yeah, idk. I was a bit mad for like 30 minutes and acted pissy with her when I find out about the other diagnoses but I think she just thought I was being pissy in general. LOL.
EMZ=]

I kind of doubted I had AS at times because I didn't match up to one or two of the symptoms.
It didn't take long though, I was diagnosed in June (or July) in 2009 and am happy with the diagnoses.
The only bother I've had from family is being called Rainman
So not really had much of a problem.

I didn't know I was getting diagnosed. At first I didn't accept it but now that I know what AS is I do. I don't think I have any problems from family or friends but they don't fully understand what it is. I don't blame them because I didn't have a clue what it was at first either. 

Well, I was diagonosed with some kind of autism from a very early age, so I've always known I've been 'different'. At times, I kind of wish I didn't have aspergers, but then I think about how I could have turned out if I didn't have it. So yeah, I think I've pretty much accepted it. :D

It took me several years to accept my AS but then I thought I didn't have it anymore because I was seeing problems in everyone like not looking at people, not understanding school assignments, and I just felt I didn't have the symptoms enough to be an aspie. I have thought off and on my life I had outgrown it.

No... I haven't been able to accept myself for having AS up until last year, wow, for 17 years of my life, I haven't appreciated the fact I have autism...
Thanks to Whitney (who is known as CleverGenevieve or CleverKitten) YouTube which linked me to WP has also got me accepting the way i'am and now I feel so comfortable with myself, but yet I still can't stand the fact I get treated differently which makes me pretty sad but now I just wish they accept my autism and treat me like how I wanted to be treated. :p

I was a little rattled after my diagnosis. I had figured out over the past few years I'd struggled through that I was just drastically different from everyone else, a unique individual. I never wondered why I was different or if there was something wrong with me; just accepted that I was different, and was actually proud of it. When I was diagnosed and then started to read about it online I was surprised to see how many symptoms applied to me, and I started to wonder if that meant that everything that made me stand out was just a result of a disorder and not necessarily a drastically individual personality.
Now that I've learned more about it I know that I am both unique and autistic, especially since no two people on the spectrum have the exact same set of traits. I'm very comfortable with myself now.

I always knew I was different, just did't have a name or label for basically what I was going through. My diagnosis only made myparents see things more clearly, especially my mom. She has always been in denial despite the amount of times I have been diagnosed with AS, Hyperlexia, and Learning Disability. She will still swear the past is perfect, her child is perfect, and that she could never have known what I was going through. My dad is even worse in the situation because he was totally abusive to me in every conceivable way. But my mom, being the one who worked and was away form me 90% of the time easily absolves herself of her place in it all. Even though she accepts things a littl ebetter now, she still tries to edit things to make them easier for her to digest in her mind.

I used to feel strange, different, unique in all the wrong ways. Always felt like I was from another planet and reading from a totally different book of life than everyone else around me. They got everything, I didn't. It has always taken me 100 times more effort, time, focus, and energy to accomplish similar things that others get done in no time and without even blinking. I have always been behind developmentally and otherwise. And all the males found infinite humor in making fun of all my weaknessess on a daily basis aka throwing them in my face.

But still way before my diagnosis I had started to embrace my differences and understanding myself far better. The more self-aware I have become the more clear my realizations of why I was bullied continuously forever which means beaten up, beaten down, worn out, ostracized, abused in every conceivable way by every male I came in contact with starting with my dad. And that I didn't deserve it nor was the cause of any of it. I have always liked myself no matter what others thought of me. And I like myself even more now because I know I'm more enlightened, better in my strengths, a better person, have stronger beliefs and morals, am completely in touch with my emotions and how they truly rule me, have empathy, take honesty very seriously, and am basically better than nt's in many areas that I would never trade to be "normal" :D . My weaknesses may still be there but I cope with them better now and understand what "acceptance" is within myself ;).

-sean-

I accepted it until I doubted it. Then I realized I had PDD-NOS instead. I had thpought the diagnosis was all about the shallow stuff, until I took offence as well as realizing how shallow it all was. It's the deep stuff that counts, and so I went back and got re-diagnosed as PDD-NOS.

The diagnosis of Aspergers didnt come as a surprise but I felt validated by it because for a long time I knew there was something wrong but just didnt know how to express it. The surprise for me was a diagnosis of inattentive type ADHD as a co-morbid, although the more I've learnt about it the more I've become to accept it.

I've known since i was about five so i really cant remember what people were like, but some people i tell now dont accept it and say theres nothing wrong with me and aspergers is a mere label, which i suppose is a good thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom