• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Absence of GABA Activity Linked to Autistic Behaviors

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

People with autism show deficits in inhibitory activity of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) that correlate with autistic behaviors demonstrated on key perceptual tests.

"Our findings provide evidence for an empirical link between a specific neurotransmitter measured in the brains of individuals with autism and an autistic behavioral symptom," the authors, from Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), in Cambridge, conclude.

The new research was published online December 17 in Current Biology.

GABA receptor genes have been linked with autism in previous research, with some studies showing fewer GABA receptor subunits at autopsy in the brains of people with autism. In addition, compromised GABA signaling has been demonstrated in mouse models of autism.

To further understand the effect in humans, senior author Nancy Kanwisher, PhD, of the McGovern Institute for Brain Research at MIT, and colleagues recruited 21 people with autism and 20 persons without autism, who served as controls.

The participants were all given binocular rivalry tests, in which two conflicting images are presented simultaneously, one to each eye. The test challenges the brain to inhibit certain neural signals in order to achieve visual awareness and distinguish between the two images.

As expected, those with autism had a significantly slower binocular rivalry rate compared with the control participants (P = .001).

Magnetic resonance spectroscopy, which was used to evaluate GABA concentrations while individuals took the test, showed that in those with autism, the connection between the levels of GABA and performance on the binocular rivalry test was absent in comparison with the control individuals (P = .01).

Whereas GABA concentrations observed in the visual cortex corresponded with longer periods of perceptual suppression in the control participants (P = .002), the relationship was not observed in those with autism (P = .473).

"We show that the link between GABA and binocular rivalry dynamics is completely and specifically absent in autism," the authors write.

They note that the differences were unique to GABA ― although glutamate levels are also believed to play a role in binocular rivalry, the changes observed in testing were similar among those with autism (P = .004) and those without autism (P = .03).

Although deficits in sensory perception have long been associated with autism, the study sheds important light on the neural mechanisms linked to the deficits, the authors note.

They suggest that the binocular rivalry test can be an indicator of disruptions of GABA signaling in autism.

"Although perceptual in nature, this [binocular rivalry] symptom strongly predicts higher-order clinical measures of autistic symptomatology and may be well poised to serve as a behavioral marker of a perturbation in GABAergic signaling in the autistic brain," the authors write.

Neurologist Michael L. Goldstein, MD, University of Utah School of Medicine, in Salt Lake City, agreed that the study offers interesting insights, but its clinical implications remain to be seen.

"The idea that neural excitation/inhibition deficits could be one of the basic underlying mechanisms of autism is intriguing," he told Medscape Medical News.

"How this will eventually be able to improve the difficulties faced by people diagnosed with autism remains unclear."

Medications that adjust GABA levels have been shown to be effective in the treatment of epilepsy, but less is known of their effect in autism, he added.

"One could consider trying to see if GABA medications could improve autistic behavior," Dr Goldstein said. "At this time, however, I don't know of any studies where these medications have been used on autistic subjects in an attempt to improve their behavior.

"At this point, the study suggests a concept to describe the basis of autism. This concept may prove very useful for both understanding and helping patients with autism in the future," he concluded.

The study received funding from a Harvard Milton Fund award, a NARSAD Young Investigator award, an MIT-MGH Strategic Partnership grant, and a grant from the Simons Center for the Social Brain. The authors and Dr Goldstein have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Curr Biol. Published online December 17, 2015. Abstract

SOURCE: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/856720

(Not written by me)

People with autism show deficits in inhibitory activity of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) that correlate with autistic behaviors demonstrated on key perceptual tests.

"Our findings provide evidence for an empirical link between a specific neurotransmitter measured in the brains of individuals with autism and an autistic behavioral symptom," the authors, from Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), in Cambridge, conclude.

The new research was published online December 17 in Current Biology.

GABA receptor genes have been linked with autism in previous research, with some studies showing fewer GABA receptor subunits at autopsy in the brains of people with autism. In addition, compromised GABA signaling has been demonstrated in mouse models of autism.

To further understand the effect in humans, senior author Nancy Kanwisher, PhD, of the McGovern Institute for Brain Research at MIT, and colleagues recruited 21 people with autism and 20 persons without autism, who served as controls.

The participants were all given binocular rivalry tests, in which two conflicting images are presented simultaneously, one to each eye. The test challenges the brain to inhibit certain neural signals in order to achieve visual awareness and distinguish between the two images.

As expected, those with autism had a significantly slower binocular rivalry rate compared with the control participants (P = .001).

Magnetic resonance spectroscopy, which was used to evaluate GABA concentrations while individuals took the test, showed that in those with autism, the connection between the levels of GABA and performance on the binocular rivalry test was absent in comparison with the control individuals (P = .01).

Whereas GABA concentrations observed in the visual cortex corresponded with longer periods of perceptual suppression in the control participants (P = .002), the relationship was not observed in those with autism (P = .473).

"We show that the link between GABA and binocular rivalry dynamics is completely and specifically absent in autism," the authors write.

They note that the differences were unique to GABA ― although glutamate levels are also believed to play a role in binocular rivalry, the changes observed in testing were similar among those with autism (P = .004) and those without autism (P = .03).

Although deficits in sensory perception have long been associated with autism, the study sheds important light on the neural mechanisms linked to the deficits, the authors note.

They suggest that the binocular rivalry test can be an indicator of disruptions of GABA signaling in autism.

"Although perceptual in nature, this [binocular rivalry] symptom strongly predicts higher-order clinical measures of autistic symptomatology and may be well poised to serve as a behavioral marker of a perturbation in GABAergic signaling in the autistic brain," the authors write.

Neurologist Michael L. Goldstein, MD, University of Utah School of Medicine, in Salt Lake City, agreed that the study offers interesting insights, but its clinical implications remain to be seen.

"The idea that neural excitation/inhibition deficits could be one of the basic underlying mechanisms of autism is intriguing," he told Medscape Medical News.

"How this will eventually be able to improve the difficulties faced by people diagnosed with autism remains unclear."

Medications that adjust GABA levels have been shown to be effective in the treatment of epilepsy, but less is known of their effect in autism, he added.

"One could consider trying to see if GABA medications could improve autistic behavior," Dr Goldstein said. "At this time, however, I don't know of any studies where these medications have been used on autistic subjects in an attempt to improve their behavior.

"At this point, the study suggests a concept to describe the basis of autism. This concept may prove very useful for both understanding and helping patients with autism in the future," he concluded.

The study received funding from a Harvard Milton Fund award, a NARSAD Young Investigator award, an MIT-MGH Strategic Partnership grant, and a grant from the Simons Center for the Social Brain. The authors and Dr Goldstein have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Curr Biol. Published online December 17, 2015. Abstract

SOURCE: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/856720
I heard of aspies taking gaba supplements and try to claim it helps. Wouldn't it be pointless because isn't it a lack of ability to use gaba in aspies not the lack of the actual substance.

I'm reading up on this lately because I started taking L-Theanine (which influences GABA) and it's made a night and day difference immediately. It completely stopped the ruminating/looping thoughts (and the various depressed, anxious and angry feelings that accompanied those thoughts). Now I'm trying to figure out why.

I found this article this morning:
GABA Receptors Are Normal in People with Autism | The Scientist Magazine®

It's clear that GABA is used differently in autistic brains, but they're not entirely sure why/how. (Considering every one of us is different and autism is a very complex condition or set of conditions, I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that it varies from person to person.)

GABA supplements have questionable efficacy because its debated whether or not GABA can cross the blood-brain barrier.

I'm reading up on this lately because I started taking L-Theanine (which influences GABA) and it's made a night and day difference immediately. It completely stopped the ruminating/looping thoughts (and the various depressed, anxious and angry feelings that accompanied those thoughts). Now I'm trying to figure out why.

I found this article this morning:
GABA Receptors Are Normal in People with Autism | The Scientist Magazine®

It's clear that GABA is used differently in autistic brains, but they're not entirely sure why/how. (Considering every one of us is different and autism is a very complex condition or set of conditions, I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that it varies from person to person.)

GABA supplements have questionable efficacy because its debated whether or not GABA can cross the blood-brain barrier.
You need amino acids to operate in conjunction with proteins and carbohydrate if you lack I theanine then the use of all other systems is damaged or depleted ,for example in motor neurone disease(Lou gehrigs disease)the motor centre of the brain is over producing glutamate ,glutamate stimulates muscle and nerves if a person has a corresponding protein to rid the brain of glutamate the motor centre is not damaged,not even having a glutamate free diet prevents deterioration trust me we tried.

You need amino acids to operate in conjunction with proteins and carbohydrate if you lack I theanine then the use of all other systems is damaged or depleted ,for example in motor neurone disease(Lou gehrigs disease)the motor centre of the brain is over producing glutamate ,glutamate stimulates muscle and nerves if a person has a corresponding protein to rid the brain of glutamate the motor centre is not damaged,not even having a glutamate free diet prevents deterioration trust me we tried.

You can't lack l-theanine because it's not a compound normally found in or produced by the body. But the human brain/body likes l-theanine and it does a pretty good job (for some people) of straightening out other neurotransmitters. It's also pretty harmless, as far as supplements go (this is not medical advice, please read up on it yourself, talk to your doctor and decide if you want to try it.)

It hasn't been studied all that much, and this seems to be a case of "for the people it works for, it really works for, and for the people it doesn't, it doesn't do anything at all" which would tend to skew results in scientific studies (because the "people it works for" category may well be sparsely populated).

A glutamate free diet doesn't seem like a lot of fun, to be honest. As someone who gets a lot of enjoyment out of food, I'm disinclined to attempt such a thing.

You can't lack l-theanine because it's not a compound normally found in or produced by the body. But the human brain/body likes l-theanine and it does a pretty good job (for some people) of straightening out other neurotransmitters. It's also pretty harmless, as far as supplements go (this is not medical advice, please read up on it yourself, talk to your doctor and decide if you want to try it.)

It hasn't been studied all that much, and this seems to be a case of "for the people it works for, it really works for, and for the people it doesn't, it doesn't do anything at all" which would tend to skew results in scientific studies (because the "people it works for" category may well be sparsely populated).

A glutamate free diet doesn't seem like a lot of fun, to be honest. As someone who gets a lot of enjoyment out of food, I'm disinclined to attempt such a thing.
I was speaking to anyone that would be researching the diet not just you and I only meant for mnd !

New Threads

Top Bottom