• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A-Z Gems & Minerals w/ Images

obsidian-380.jpg
Obsidian. Just got a huge piece from Hawaii.

08090780014946403381109.jpg
Roselite, Bou Azer District, Morocco.
Named in 1824 by Armand Levy in honor of German mineralogist Gustav Rose, Professor of Mineralogy, University of Berlin.

Got to control wanting things as i know the devastation they earth suffers because of mining
incidentally i picked rose quartz to add the comment to as i love the colour

It looks like we skipped 'Q' and jumped straight to 'R'. The only thing I could find was something called 'quartzite'. It's not really a gemstone... or quartz for that matter; it's heat-treated sandstone that has been fused with quartz through intense pressure and heat.
IMG_8296%25252011%252520cm%252520quartzite.jpg

The more you knoooow!

It looks like we skipped 'Q' and jumped straight to 'R'. The only thing I could find was something called 'quartzite'. It's not really a gemstone... or quartz for that matter; it's heat-treated sandstone that has been fused with quartz through intense pressure and heat.
IMG_8296%25252011%252520cm%252520quartzite.jpg

The more you knoooow!
How about just quartz?
Quartz-Crystal-Cluster.jpg

Torbernite
Torbernite-Crystal-by-Flickr-yaiba0390.jpg

It's crystallised uranium, pretty much, and highly radioactive (surprising, I know). That's unfortunate because it's very pretty IMO; I'd like to get my hands on one.

images
upload_2017-6-20_11-4-22.jpeg

Ulexite is also known as TV rock due to its unusual optical characteristics. The fibers of ulexite act as optical fibers, transmitting light along their lengths by internal reflection. When a piece of ulexite is cut with flat polished faces perpendicular to the orientation of the fibers, a good-quality specimen will display an image of whatever surface is adjacent to its other side.

Variscite
Pic%2B19.jpg

It looks similar to malachite, IMO, but those grey things make it look like it's diseased.

Last edited:
Quartz is more like a variety of gemstones than an actual individual one. Citrine, rose quartz, and prasiolite are all quartz, I never really thought "quartz" alone could qualify as its own individual gemstone; even the clear version is sometimes referred to as "clear quartz".
This is an interesting and informative thought.
I was thinking of clear quartz because it is the first quartz in the varieties. It is free of the elements that nature adds to make the other varities and colours. Don't claim to know that answer, but find it could be an interesting study to itself as to what element when added to clear quartz makes the others. They are called the polymorphs of quartz. Like the colour of amethyst is the result of radiation damage to Fe3+ in the interstitial site of clear quartz.
Had some trouble thinking of a W too.
Wulfenite. I remembered the Red Cloud mines in AZ
Wulfenite-271366.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom