• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Theory I have about Kirby

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
I've mentioned Kirby on here a lot, and as you know I have created a Kirby-based AU. But right now my thoughts have turned to the ORIGINAL Kirby, the pink one we all know and love so much, and after watching Kirby of The Stars anime on YouTube, I've noticed something about him;

Kirby is a symbol of the Autism/Aspergers spectrum.

And here's why I say that:

- He's relatively very quiet and keeps to himself most of the time.
- He loves sweets (not that this directly relates to the spectrum)
- He gets mad at anything putting anyone in danger, and tries his best to defend them from it.
- He can't communicate like everyone else does; he has a very limited vocabulary and can only talk by default through phonetic noises, hence the use of "poyo" in place of normal conversation. (There was one episode ending that added subtitles, but you still hear "poyo poyo" over it.)
- He finds entertainment in basic, simple forms of hobby, like coloring or drawing. (again, not directly related, as this trait tends to evolve with age)
- He scares easily.

The backstories that the games tell you provide you with trivial information about Kirby's personality, but if you watch the 4Kids anime in which he appeared, you'll notice that his persona and the likenesses of people on the spectrum in real life are very similar. I'm not saying that they're one and the same, the show and the real thing, but if you pay close attention, you'll see what I mean.

Now, the part of the autism spectrum that Kirby appears to mimic isn't the only part that my theory connects to, but again, look close enough and you can see that some traits of the other levels of the spectrum play a significant role in connecting to the level that Kirby seems to be on.

I never noticed it until I thought about it long enough.

I'm not sure what to think about this theory but I think we can agree that Kirby is pretty 可愛い!

"Kirby is pretty 可愛い!"
upload_2019-2-6_15-47-14.png

可愛い = kawaii = cute

Interesting thing is, Kirby originally displayed the ability to talk. This though was back in the days when game stories were told mostly in the manuals (because, you know, the actual games would have exploded from trying to handle such a herculean feat).

In Kirby's Adventure on the NES, the manual describes him finding King Dedede floating around in the dream fountain, and Kirby just outright demands to know what's going on, and what happened to the Star Rod. Dedede tries to explain, gets like half a sentence in, and then Kirby says something like "No! I'm not going to listen to this, it's the same thing again, you're just up to no good!" and then he runs off to have a really unnecessary adventure. A good adventure, but still, coulda saved himself alot of trouble if he'd just shut up and listened for a moment.

At some point though Nintendo sort of just quietly allowed the series to forget that any dialogue ever happened. I dunno what it is with Nintendo, but they really, REALLY like mostly-but-not-quite silent protagonists. Considering how outright annoying alot of protagonists in other games can be though... I cant blame them.

While visiting parent's friends as a kid, I played a Kirby game on some sort of gameboy, and then years later I played that Kirby game on the DS with the rainbows. I loved those games. :)

Unless his creator deliberately gave Kirby autism, he isn't autistic. Fictional characters can only do what they're written to do. I'm sorry, but it bugs me that autistic people claim a character must be autistic as well because of a few "similar" traits that not all autistic people have. Like Dopey from The Seven Dwarfs because he doesn't talk.:rolleyes:

New Threads

Top Bottom