• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Sociopath At Work

total-recoil

I have had a run-in with a sociopath. This is a female boss at work who is so awful, it's hard to describe. My encounter with her took place on a Sunday morning when she suddenly appeared and began to shout at one of my friends there. First thiing I noticed was everybody was terrified of her, including other managers and she was attacking virtually everybody. I'm going to relate my encounter with this person as, in some ways, it verges on being funny although, at the time, I was pretty upset and came close to a meltdown.
Initially she seemed to be too busy attacking other people to turn any attention to me. It was stuff like bits of tape on the floor, boxes supposedly looking scruffy and, above all, that we were all too slow. I was very soon moved away to work on another job and the woman then seemed to disappear.
Here comes the amazing part: After about 2 hours of hard work, this boss appeared again and asked me to stop and answer her questions. She said that production had been slowed down due to my poor performance. She said I was the slowest person she had ever seen and that my movements were also slow. I attempted to explain I had been doing a three man job on my own (with other people were at break) and she accused me of making excuses. She told me she was going to make sure personally that this would be my last day and that I'd never work in that department again. I was stunned.
The crunch (and turning point) came when a few minutes later I was making my way to the canteen to take my 15 minutes break. This was quite legitimate as we have in total 45 minutes and I'd already had my 30 minutes at dinner. She was walking in one direction and myself in another so our paths crossed. I was then asked where I was going and I mumbled something about a break. She then told me to forget the break and go back to work and I calmly replied I was due my break and fully intended to take it. She then asked me to clock off and go home. So, still stunned I got my bag and coat, said goodbye to my friend (who was himself still in shock) and I quietly left, making a bee-line for the workplace internet cafe. Only a few minutes later did I get angry (very angry).
I should explain at this point this woman was not really my employer as I work for an internal agency. My actual bosses are quite pleasant and fortunately they are happy with my work. So, I expected this particular boss woud complain about me to the agency. I decided to take preemptive measures and inform my agency before she could make her report and I basically told my employers she prevented me taking my 15 minute break. They kind of shrugged and I got the strong impression they didn't take her seriously and since then I have worked in that department (they send me when she's not there). In some ways, I became a martyr as I got a warm reception last time I was there and seemed to have survived.
A word on sociopaths - I decided to research the subject a little: Basically they thrive in junior managerial positions. Their work, in some ways, is their life as they can use their position to bully other people. It also came to mind that the work sociopath doesn't make a big drama over some minor misdeed out of genuine care and concern for work performance. In reality, they thrive on our mistakes once detected because each mistake can be used as evidence to claim we are quite useless. A few days after I heard another female friend had been sent home for taking too much time when visiting the toilet. The woman had actually timed her.

Last edited:
By the way, nobody at work knows I have aspergers but I have a reputation for being a bit weird, as people figured out I live alone, am not married and so on. Even my best friend there doesn't know. Certainly I never told any employer so people just figure I'm a bit odd. Fortunately I'm respected as my time-keeping is good and I work hard. However, there is a lot of very bad management, sometimes a bit of closet racism and a handful of very abusive bosses.

I assume this isn't a union job?? If you could find a union position and made certain you did nothing to violate the contract, your boss couldn't do this sort of stuff without proof. How can you prove to her that you had used only 30 minutes of your free time and were due another 15? Conversely, how can she prove you had already taken all the time you were allowed? I do believe she and possibly other bosses may dislike having you as an employee because they are aware of some of your Aspie behaviors.

The things you described are classic symptoms of a person who probably did not do well on her own, so she moved into management (as many of the weak do), and now uses her position to bully others to make herself feel better. She is in no way professional, and I would pay her little mind (as her mind is already little enough), because she most likely will not last long.
Good luck

I hope this isn't indicative of someone who thinks contract workers are like indentured servants. On rare occasion I'd run into such people but they were never so abusive. I once worked a couple years as a contract worker. No benefits, but it paid very well.

But even contract workers should be given some modicum of respect let alone compliance with basic labor laws.

New Threads

Top Bottom