• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A sense of order...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
On a lighter note...

I am a pack rat, most definitely, which some might call disorder... ;) But when I'm handling bills of money (yes... I'm a luddite who hasn't fully converted to the new electronic order), I like to make sure they are in the proper placement, with the heads up and to the right... I'll place bets most people don't even notice or think about that... I have always tried to do that, just simply did it...

And another sense of order, the proper names of cars, as an amateur historian of cars in many cases I know the exact name and find that many people use shortcuts of language, either on purpose or often without even knowing... I'm such a stickler to language that it sometimes drives me crazy when I see improper name usage, I might be the only one thinking about it, probably am... :cool:

One more, being Canadian, how we spell certain words... How we use "our" rather than "or", for example the word favour, I will always use the Canadian spelling! :D There is a small town close to where I live, that I often pass through, there is one restaurant that uses the American spelling using "or", drives me nuts everytime I see it! Or if I see memo at work with the American spelling, that's the first thing I notice and it drives me nuts... o_O

On a lighter note...

I am a pack rat, most definitely, which some might call disorder... ;) But when I'm handling bills of money (yes... I'm a luddite who hasn't fully converted to the new electronic order), I like to make sure they are in the proper placement, with the heads up and to the right... I'll place bets most people don't even notice or think about that... I have always tried to do that, just simply did it...

And another sense of order, the proper names of cars, as an amateur historian of cars in many cases I know the exact name and find that many people use shortcuts of language, either on purpose or often without even knowing... I'm such a stickler to language that it sometimes drives me crazy when I see improper name usage, I might be the only one thinking about it, probably am... :cool:

One more, being Canadian, how we spell certain words... How we use "our" rather than "or", for example the word favour, I will always use the Canadian spelling! :D There is a small town close to where I live, that I often pass through, there is one restaurant that uses the American spelling using "or", drives me nuts everytime I see it! Or if I see memo at work with the American spelling, that's the first thing I notice and it drives me nuts... o_O

Is that not the english spelling?
:)
When samuel johnson wrote his dictionary

( i checked aardvark is not in it)

There was often no standard spelling in those days.

English propoganda about americans can often be how stupid they are

Spelling being one of the main go to's.
All in fun, but nation states invent this kind of thing. To give an illusion of one set of people being better than another.

Americans are great a neologisms though.

I favour them immensely.

Consider how historically bastardized English itself actually is. Who claims this language? The Celts? The Romans? The Saxons? The French?

IMO it seems a bit pointless to claim any "standards" over a language with such a lack of a clear pedigree. :p

I avoid carrying cash because I'm terrible at picking up change and really, really dislike the texture of paper money, but sometimes I have no other choice, and in those times, I will order the bills by value, and all of them must be facing the same direction, not be upside down, etc.
Until your post, I never realized that other people might not do that o_O

Last edited:
Is that not the english spelling?
:)
When samuel johnson wrote his dictionary

( i checked aardvark is not in it)

There was often no standard spelling in those days.

English propoganda about americans can often be how stupid they are

Spelling being one of the main go to's.
All in fun, but nation states invent this kind of thing. To give an illusion of one set of people being better than another.

Americans are great a neologisms though.

I favour them immensely.
Two nations separated by the same language.

Consider how historically bastardized English itself actually is. Who claims this language? The Celts? The Romans? The Saxons? The French?

IMO it seems a bit pointless to claim any "standards" over a language with such a lack of a clear pedigree. :p
All of the above, with a smattering of German, Norse and other languages added to confuse the hell out of everyone.

i always wish it had stayed old english which was really old high german, my family would have spoken welsh or gaelic(scots) .
then i wouldnt have had to learn english created for businessmen iam not donald trump,he can keep it but alas my memory is sucked dry

Songs.

I remember exact wording and intonation and it bugs me when people change it, especially when it's the recording artist themselves.

I keep my bills the same way up and out, in order of value. Using cash does not make you a luddite, there is good reason to avoid using electronic money. IMHO avoiding direct deposit and paying with a card does more to protect our freedom than supporting the 'war on terror' (which really does the opposite).

I'm also a stickler for proper language use, spelling included. I find it strange that people would question who might claim the English language, it's name is a fairly direct hint that even aspies ought to pick up on. Pretty much any modern language has roots in other languages. English is exceptional in that it has many more words than any other language, it stands to reason that many of them come from other languages. In that sense it is sort of opposite of French... the French government has a language purity branch of some sort whose job it is to make French words up so that they do not borrow from other languages. When a new thing is invented it's fairly common for the name given by it's inventors to be used by people who speak different languages, and to me that makes good sense. But if that were to happen in France their language would become less French, and of course that would be a disastrous (disastros?) loss for the cultural content of the universe.

It's true that there used to be no standardized spellings, that is a relatively recent thing for which nationalized school systems are largely responsible. I am a (mostly) retired spelling and grammar Nazi. Retired in order to fit in with NTs mostly. If you know what someone is trying to say then it doesn't matter, however errors of communication are responsible for much of the disharmony in the world and I think it a good idea to be careful with our use of language. Very few people (myself included) lack sufficient knowledge of their language to allow them to go changing it willy nilly because it seems more convenient without potentially creating some confusion and possible miscommunication.

I once signed a paper which went into a courtroom, it had to do with a couple's temporary separation. First I had them reprint it as it referred to their 'martial problems'. No, the family regiment was not mutinous, in fact they were having marital problems. She had assured me that there were no spelling mistakes because she'd run it through a spell checker.

It seems to me that words can also lose flavour when changed and meaning can be lost. I know what someone means when they talk about 'airplanes'. Those things that have wings which when sliced along the chord have an aerofoil shape, built by the aerospace industry, yes, aeroplanes.

I avoid carrying cash because I'm terrible at picking up change and really, really dislike the texture of paper money, but sometimes I have no other choice, and in those times, I will order the bills by value, and all of them must be facing the same direction, not be upside down, etc.
Until your post, I never realized that other people might not do that o_O

I also have to have my money in order all facing same direction least to greatest. Mailing out bills all in order of size envelopes. I have to try and stop my petrol on even number... 79.97 has to go to 80.00 and then I'm all crazy when it goes to 80.01... I have to have the eggs evened out in the egg crate... I promise you don't want me to go on, its pitiful and mostly insane. :)

I also have to have my money in order all facing same direction least to greatest. Mailing out bills all in order of size envelopes. I have to try and stop my petrol on even number... 79.97 has to go to 80.00 and then I'm all crazy when it goes to 80.01... I have to have the eggs evened out in the egg crate... I promise you don't want me to go on, its pitiful and mostly insane. :)

Although I've been told that with modern cars rounding up like that isn't necessary, but I know what you mean...

@Chance how are your eggs 'evened out' in the crate? Mine are in the middle such that if you pick up the carton it's not going to be heavy on one end and more likely to be dropped, also if either end is bashed no eggs will break if I've used four out of the twelve already, the carton acts as the crumple zones in cars do to protect the eggs/passengers in the middle.

I have yet to train the eggs to actively avoid accidents as per Monty Python. But when I hard-boil them I do a dozen at once, that way I can eat one egg if I like without having to cook anything, and they are more accident-proof in spite of their lack of training.

no its not, its what do if youre stressed, nts with o.c.d are the same.
for example football players believe in a ritual to prevent game losses .
its a protect the mind and body mechanism

Although I've been told that with modern cars rounding up like that isn't necessary, but I know what you mean...

Filling up a vehicle the logic side of my brain forces much harder than the part that used to be obsessed with symmetry. When I fill a car up, I FILL it up. I wish my car would hold 100 liters instead of just 53. Stopping for fuel is a hassle and really sucks in the winter when the temperature is 30 below or worse. My parents thought I was nuts always stopping on a random number. But they came from a generation where you pumped something that would correspond with exact bills in your wallet.

As for the language thing I think it is very unfortunate that English became so world dominant while being so ludicrously obtuse. Spanish, now there is a language that would work for me. First of all to my understanding almost all Spanish words are spelled pretty much exactly how they sound. And for another, the faster flow of syllables appeals to me. English is agonizingly slow for the speed my brain works at. It causes me to speak too quickly a lot of the time also. The only slower languages I can recall listening to would be those of the native North American varieties. How great it would be if history caused Spanish to be the language of all the America's and the language other countries around the world look up towards.

I have also read that in some point in history there was a very real chance that German could have become the official language of the USA. It would be interesting to think how the world would be shaped now were that to occur.

I can say all this being someone who only speaks English for now.

I have to try and stop my petrol on even number... 79.97 has to go to 80.00 and then I'm all crazy when it goes to 80.01...
I allot $15 (on my PayPal debit card) for a normal week. I keep an extra 95 cents on that card, in case I go over. If I go $15.01 one week, I will go $14.99 the following week in order to maintain that 95-cent buffer. If I have less than a dollar on that card, it gets rejected at the pump.

Last edited:
@Chance how are your eggs 'evened out' in the crate? Mine are in the middle such that if you pick up the carton it's not going to be heavy on one end and more likely to be dropped, also if either end is bashed no eggs will break if I've used four out of the twelve already, the carton acts as the crumple zones in cars do to protect the eggs/passengers in the middle.

I have yet to train the eggs to actively avoid accidents as per Monty Python. But when I hard-boil them I do a dozen at once, that way I can eat one egg if I like without having to cook anything, and they are more accident-proof in spite of their lack of training.

exactly... wow, someone else gets it. : )

I have to arrange mine in a sort of zig zag pattern, so the weight is distributed,, where-ever it is picked up .ie if a six egg carton has 3 eggs left, they form a "v". If 6 in a 12 egg carton they go /\/\/ No bunching of weight in any one place.

I have to arrange mine in a sort of zig zag pattern, so the weight is distributed,, where-ever it is picked up .ie if a six egg carton has 3 eggs left, they form a "v". If 6 in a 12 egg carton they go /\/\/ No bunching of weight in any one place.

I center mine up so they avoid casually (maybe)... you spread yours out so each one has a better chance to survive the fated egg carton crash... : )

And we wonder why we are seen as odd? We are having valid conversations over placements of eggs in the carton... I thought this was just my solitary sick mind that worries over such stuff. However I often wonder. where ASD stops and OCD begins?

some of it is what poverty teaches you.
I center mine up so they avoid casually (maybe)... you spread yours out so each one has a better chance to survive the fated egg carton crash... : )

And we wonder why we are seen as odd? We are having valid conversations over placements of eggs in the carton... I thought this was just my solitary sick mind that worries over such stuff. However I often wonder. where ASD stops and OCD begins?

New Threads

Top Bottom