• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A question regarding our idiot savant talents and evolution.

Machiavelli2112

I have a very sizeable question to ask everyone here at the aspergers community.

Now I'm pretty sure I dont need to explain the ignorance of ordinary humans and their relations to us and our "conditions" to any of you, which is exactly the reason as to why I am going to ask you all the questions regarding that of our position and place in society, humanity, and even the world.

The question is relatively simple: Does anyone feel as if its all but impossible for man to fully comprehend their aspie cousins? That its so impossible for them to understand us that the only way we can advance and evolve is not by trying to advance our poor social skills, but rather our autistic savant talents that biology so charitably bestows upon us that makes us superior to the average man?

I need opinions, please post your replies.

-Matt

Sorry Matt, I have to disagree that we are superior to the average man. We are different, and we can contribute much. We have advantages and we have challenges, and those vary according to the individual.

As for your question, it is a very good one. I feel that my talents get taken for granted, I fail to get credit, that people assume that my intelligence is some "God given" thing that I haven't earned. But I am judged harshly for my perceived shortcomings.

So yes, I agree that we should proclaim our gifts and our talents to the world. Focus on the positives. Don't tell the NTs that we are better than them (that will get us nowhere), but that we are wired a little differently and that we have much to offer the world.

Neuroscience still has incredible room for growth. In other words, NTs don't even fully understand NTs.

Last edited:
Speaking of idiot savant talents, I love telling people how one day I just picked up a brush and started painting stuff like this:

Astronaught and Earth.jpg

I have no idea how I do it. I've never had any formal training.

Usually they sell for about $100 bucks, which isn't bad for being far from any real art scene.

Ok, we are not superior to the 'average man' at all, autism may come with some benefits as well as disabilities, but they do not make us in any way superior, just different.

Also, savant syndrome (the term "idiot savant" is outdated and insulting) is very rare, including amongst autistic people.

Savant talents should certainly be celebrated. Our non-savant talents should also be celebrated, and increased awareness of the abilities of autistic people is a good thing, although I believe that learning social skills is also extremely important in order to be able to succeed in this NT dominated world.

(I'm not sure what if anything this had to do with evolution)

I agree. My ability to teleport at will from one destination to another doesn't make me superior to those of us who do not have an autistic spectrum disorder.

At best, I prefer to think of myself as a "Tomorrow Person".

Speaking of idiot savant talents, I love telling people how one day I just picked up a brush and started painting stuff like this:

I have no idea how I do it. I've never had any formal training.

Usually they sell for about $100 bucks, which isn't bad for being far from any real art scene.

If you haven't heard of the artist Leonid Afremov, google his name. You might relate to his style of painting. :cool:

:( not all savants get the idiot part...
some off setting low brain sectors are common as the savant thing is both a curse and a blessing.
I do think aspies play a far bigger roll in new inovations and science than given credit for.
-----------
The Nts seem to play see monkey do monkey most of the time.

I don't think that produces much new....at all... just a bunch of people fighting over who can play the same tired old game the best.:rolleyes:
-----------
My view on what I see ....you don't have to like it.:(

New Threads

Top Bottom