• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Question Regarding Complying With Therapy

IMO I suspect the dynamics of any hierarchy. Where those in control must fundamentally remain in control. Whether they actually know- or not what they're doing.

Or as others more simplistically comment on in terms of what "rolls downhill".

That said, how many of us unequivocally believe that the best of what psychiatry, neurology and psychology have to offer is presently adequate or superior in the treatment of Neurodiversity? In a system where politics and economics seems all too often to drive such considerations. A far cry from the concerns of Hippocrates.

Well said. They don't have the answers and the only things that therapists should be trying to treat are the co-morbidities associated with ASCs, not the ASC itself. I didn't know any better before my diagnosis, and did what many of us do, which is try to fit in... I ended up with a raft of different diagnoses, an no happier or better off for any of them. (I think this is what they refer to as the Asperger's Pedigree.)

However, I do believe things can change.... I think the biggest obstacle for Autistic people in getting what they need from therapy is the lack of common language and understanding between Aspie and Therapist (often NT, often highly Empathising). For the last year or two, I have been heavily involved with a working group of mixed NTs (Psychotherapists and partners of Aspies) and Aspies (mainly engineers - but not by design - and partners of NTs), who have been developing models that can be used to explain the differences in psychology and learning transactional analysis based on this, to help both parties articulate their experience to the other. We've had tremendous success, and are currently rolling it out in the form of workshops, here in the UK, having formed a charitable organisation to help us: "The Different Engine" (www.thedifferentengine.net). This part of the reason for my absence from this forum for the last few months - the other being Chronic Migraine (What joy that is!).
Our aim, apart from teaching this to Aspies, is to train Psychotherapists here, so that they can appear in professional listings as' Aspie Competent', and the good news is, they are queuing up for the training.
There will always be those, as Judge said, who 'must fundamentally remain in control', but I think even they will get the message, eventually. Until then, we'll just have to vote with our feet.

My heart broke scanning this thread, thinking about the devolution of mental health treatment and what we could be doing if we cared enough about people to take the time they need to be put back together. That's how it was before 1985, and now you get ten sessions to learn how to cry. Half of the THERAPISTS coming out of universities don't have a workable Theory of Mind, in that they are not able to suss out why a patient would do a perfectly irrational thing like try to kill himself after such a productive round of cognitive behavioral therapy. They do not hold a candle to the great men who came before this garbage. We have the knowledge and the skills to transform lives, but the costs are "prohibitive." It's all drug formulas and short term CBT. Get people back to work!

As for this
Because Cluster B persons lack empathy they shrink cannot explain it to them by citing examples. Maybe if cluster B person was humiliated enough they would learn humility and respect for others. Maybe if they were made to suffer greatly they would have some sympathy for people who suffer greatly.

I've been diagnosed Cluster B mixed Personality Disorder since 2002, and remain hopeful that some civil rights still exist in psychiatry, paltry though they may be.

It's all drug formulas and short term CBT. Get people back to work!

Sadly true. Back in the day, people died of infections, and now we can easily fix that. But back in the day, people could take months to rest... and we don’t give them that any more.

It is a pity. Because often, that worked.

New Threads

Top Bottom