• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A medical theory my dad put past me.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I was talking with my bio dad yesterday, and he admitted to me that he regretted not having my tonsils and adenoids removed when the doctors suggested it shortly after I was born. The doctors said they were rather large, and my dad thinks this might have something to do with my sleep apnea and my inability to use a nose-only CPAP mask today. If my mouth is forced shut while I am trying to sleep, I end up waking up in a panic repeatedly because I feel like I am suffocating, that is why I have not been using the machine I was prescribed three years ago.

This might be something worth talking to my doctor about when I see her in a couple of weeks from now.

In any case, caffeine is my friend at the office today, God made Keurig machines to make office life easier.

"Large tonsils and adenoids ...can block the airway"

"While tonsil removal can help with airway blockage, it is good to know that some health professionals don’t recommend this procedure. People that are overweight or have poor dieting habits should attempt to change their diet as well as their weight. Often times, excess amounts of fat can build up around the neck, which can cause the airway to experience difficulties.

Talk to a dentist or doctor​

"Both doctors and dentists can treat sleep apnea, and it never hurts to talk to each of them. Having your tonsils removed is a routine procedure that is performed every day, but it may not be for you. It is best to talk with one of these professionals about the best treatment plan since everyone is different."

"Just like in children, adults with enlarged tonsils also do better after sleep apnea surgery that includes tonsillectomy. One reason seems to be that the physical removal of the enlarged tonsils immediately opens up space for breathing and improves the sleep apnea. Many have wondered whether adults with sleep apnea and markedly enlarged tonsils should be treated with surgery that includes tonsillectomy."

===========
@Metalhead
Sounds like it would be worth talking to your doctor about.

Sounds like your dad may be on to something there, @Metalhead

There's probably better reasons to have such things removed as a child vs. as an adult as well . Each person has different experiences with pain, but a friend of mine who had their tonsils removed as an adult said the recovery was the worst pain they ever experienced. :oops:

I see my dentist later this week and my doctor a week after that. I will bring it up to both of them and see what they have to say. If I can figure out a cure for these sleeping issues, I will automatically become a much happier guy.

Plantain, chickweed, and cleavers are all great lymphatic support. My daughter had pretty bad tonsillitis, and I cured it herbally.

Plantain, chickweed, and cleavers are all great lymphatic support. My daughter had pretty bad tonsillitis, and I cured it herbally.
I have very big tonsils and it really bugs me . And gets painful sometimes. Especially if I get sick

Do you think your remedy would work on adult ?
I was thinking of having them removed.
They should have been removed when I was a child. But my parents did not care .

I understand it is very painful to have it done as an adult .

Well, gosh, I'm not a doctor. But if you were my child, this is what I would do:

Make a tea with 1 tsp each of the herbs. Gargle with it, and also make another cup to drink as well. 3x day.

Also treating the emotional components would help. We store our grief and anxiety in our lymphatic system. So, things like hot baths with epsom salts, and getting more sleep than usual (I'd say 10 hours or more per night). Really working toward forgiveness, and acceptance.

Clematis is a good flower essence. Passion flower herb or tincture.

No dairy or soy.

Love, gratitude, self acceptance, prayer, and herbs.

Mag phos 30x would be a good homeopathic.

But like I said, I'm not a doctor, and I don't know you personally.

If you can, get to a naturopath, doctor of chinese medicine, a chiropractor, or other qualified natural healer to advise you further.

I was talking with my bio dad yesterday, and he admitted to me that he regretted not having my tonsils and adenoids removed when the doctors suggested it shortly after I was born. The doctors said they were rather large, and my dad thinks this might have something to do with my sleep apnea and my inability to use a nose-only CPAP mask today. If my mouth is forced shut while I am trying to sleep, I end up waking up in a panic repeatedly because I feel like I am suffocating, that is why I have not been using the machine I was prescribed three years ago.

This might be something worth talking to my doctor about when I see her in a couple of weeks from now.

In any case, caffeine is my friend at the office today, God made Keurig machines to make office life easier.
Yes. Talk to an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor. A "T&A" as an adult increases the risk of bleeding. You can also have your uvula removed. I did. Just be aware that any of these posterior pharyngeal surgeries can result in excessive swelling and make you absolutely miserable for 24-48 hours, unable to sleep due to a partially obstructed airway. It sucked. I couldn't lie down and had to sit up in a chair for a few days. As an autistic, also consider you may have a more inflammatory response than other people. Having said that, I didn't know I had autism when I had my surgery, so I likely had that enhanced swelling response. It's something to talk to your doctor about. They can give you some anti-inflammatory steroids and epinephrine (vasoconstrictor) during and after the procedure to help mitigate that response.

I had mine taken out when I was 14 and it was very painful. I had to get both my tonsils and adenoids removed because I would continuously get strep throat. There would be countless of times where I would feel like crap, then I would get over the infection, then I would get it again. I would have to visit the doctor multiple times a month because I kept getting strep throat.

Finally, the doctor decided that I would need to visit the ear, throat, and nose doctor to see what was going on. I was so happy because they decided that it would be best if they removed my tonsils and adenoids. The procedure was painful and I couldn’t talk that much for two weeks, but it was totally worth it in the end. I never had to experience that pain again and I wouldn’t have to miss anymore school.

Before getting the procedure, I missed a lot of school. This caused me to have to stay after school each week to make up all the work I missed. It was a pain in the butt and I hated it. I hope you are able to get the procedure. It was life changing for me, so I hope it will be life changing for you as well.

Last edited:
I also had my adenoids removed many years ago and it was very painful, and the surgery didn't go so well which I'll spare you the details about, especially because I don't want to talk about it again. But it's part of why I refuse anesthesia whenever possible now. It was very traumatic.

The good thing about it, I guess, is that now I can breathe. I couldn't breathe very well when I was younger and I also had strep throat a lot. I haven't had strep throat since.
I was also constantly worried that I was going to stop breathing in my sleep and not wake up.

Since it's pretty uncommon for surgeries to go wrong, I would recommend at least bringing it up to a doctor or maybe going for a consultation. It's worth it to be able to breathe and to be able to sleep well.

I would never recommend any surgical procedure that didn't fill a specific medical need. If you were born with something, it is there for a reason. A lot of kids used to get their tonsils removed pointlessly. When I grew up tonsillectomy was done "just because." It is the immune system's first line of defense against bacteria and viruses that enter your mouth. That's why they get infected.

If it helps you breathe better while you sleep, that would be a good thing.

I would never recommend any surgical procedure that didn't fill a specific medical need. If you were born with something, it is there for a reason. A lot of kids used to get their tonsils removed pointlessly. When I grew up tonsillectomy was done "just because." It is the immune system's first line of defense against bacteria and viruses that enter your mouth. That's why they get infected.

If it helps you breathe better while you sleep, that would be a good thing.
You mean my plans for cosmetic surgery to have Satanic horns implanted into my forehead is something you disapprove of?

My boss disapproves of that as well. Hell.

I had tonsils and adenoids removed when I was 12 in an attempt to alleviate chronic hayfever. It didn't work. I don't remember it being as painful as everyone else says though.

Having them removed might help your problems, but tell your father that he can rest his conscience. They grow back after a few years so having them removed as a kid would not be of much help to you now.

I see my dentist later this week and my doctor a week after that. I will bring it up to both of them and see what they have to say. If I can figure out a cure for these sleeping issues, I will automatically become a much happier guy

Excellent plan, Metalhead. Talk to the medical professionals and don't toy with your health or experiment with unproven home "remedies". If you do require surgery, at least you'll get to eat as much ice cream and popsicles as you want while you're recovering. Sleep apnea can have long term, detrimental effects on your health, and your heart in particular. While surgery may not cure the apnea, it may reduce your need for a C-PAP machine to support your breathing while asleep.

One of my friends told me that he had never had a decent night's sleep in his life until he used a C-PAP, and that he was totally unaware of how bad it was until he actually used one. It can be life-changing for you.

I think in order to answer this usefully I'd need to know how bad your OSA is.
Mine was mild and I tortured myself trying to use the damn machine until the stress and insomnia due to not being able to sleep with "that thing" on my face led me to drive the wrong way on an interstate exit ramp. Twice in the same day. I decided to take my chances with the apnea. Seemed less lethal, all things considered.

BTW, please try the full face mask for the CPAP, if the dental appliance proves too expensive or otherwise impractical. You can breath through your mouth or nose with that type of cpap mask.

I had tonsils and adenoids removed when I was 12 in an attempt to alleviate chronic hayfever. It didn't work. I don't remember it being as painful as everyone else says though.

Having them removed might help your problems, but tell your father that he can rest his conscience. They grow back after a few years so having them removed as a kid would not be of much help to you now.
Yeah, they were pulling tonsils out for any old reason back then. It was a low-risk money maker and almost a fashion. Hay fever is a pollen allergy and has nothing to do with your tonsils.

Hay fever is a pollen allergy and has nothing to do with your tonsils.
In the end the fix for hay fever that I found is a product that has nothing to do with hay fever.

It's an eye drop that welders use for flash burns - Antistine Privine.

Although it's going in to your eyes it's a drug, an antihistimine. It has direct access to your blood stream via your tear ducts so it's extremely fast acting. Instant relief.

And a serious warning about eye drops - if you get an infection in the bottle then you will be putting that infection in your eyes. Keep them in the fridge, never keep them more than a few weeks after opening, and never ever share them with someone else.

My tonsils were removed when I was 9 months old

Just noticed a new medical issue in the last few days my left foot kept swelling appeared to be cycling, only other thing that was cycling was me taking Advil to keep tooth ache at bay until dentist is back in office tomorrow. I appear the two things are related. Well on my way to becoming, a doctor, just joking.

New Threads

Top Bottom