• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Field Guide to Earthlings

A Field Guide to Earthlings 2015-03-30

Primitive... tribal... now I have to check this out!
I'm glad I read it, it also kind of made me sad. I realized just how much I disagree with their motivations, making it more sickening for me to try to live in their world and in their ways. It made me finally really understand things like how people judge each other based on appearance or dress - that many NTs really do dress, think, and act the way they do, develop their style, their relationships, their careers, buy fancy things, etc. based on these primitive motives rather than on true and pure personal joy/interest. That's like their default mode, though they may break out of it in ways. But the book also explains the usefulness and importance of this. It helped me let go of trying in unhealthy ways to operate like them when I realized the underlying motivations/mechanisms were ones I couldn't fully get on board with - yet learning these mechanisms is useful as a tool, or at least for decoding. It's very hard to do all of that in real time, for me - but the book breaks it down with this (pretty lame) story told in bits and parts as illustration. I used to think of NTs in this lofty way, and that I was like some kind of gully dwarf. But now I realize they are very primitive in drive, but with amazing brains to make things happen. Again, I don't say this to be insulting - just matter of fact. Actually, I think that primitive nature is why most of them seem to always say everything is really about sex, money, and power, even when I don't view it that way.

New Threads

Top Bottom