• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Field Guide to Earthlings

A Field Guide to Earthlings 2015-03-30

Spiller

Just.. WEIRD!
Spiller submitted a new resource:

A Field Guide to Earthlings - A Field Guide to Earthlings is a clear and insightful look at how Neurotypical people think!

A Field Guide to Earthlings is a clear and insightful instruction manual on how Neurotypicals think and why they behave the way they do.

Ford describes intelligently and concisely how most people tend to learn in what he calls a 'Forest Down' manner - gaining an overall picture and filling in details over time, whereas those on the Spectrum acquire information in a 'Trees Up' way - seeing small details and gradually piecing them together to form the whole.

I gained a great insight...

Read more about this resource...

I would love for an NT to read and review this book to confirm/deny this is how NTs really think and behave or whether its just his interpretation. Which bits are right and what's off track? Any takers? GC? Tia? If its true, it explains so much!

I would love for an NT to read and review this book to confirm/deny this is how NTs really think and behave or whether its just his interpretation. Which bits are right and what's off track? Any takers? GC? Tia? If its true, it explains so much!
I agree, it would be good to hear from NTs on this one. I do agree with the observation offered in the blurb, though. I've also noticed this difference in thinking style, and so feel it might have some merit to it.

I (an aspie) after reading that book felt that it did have some valid insights, although I do also think a few things might be a bit off track. An NT might give a better analysis than me, however.

One of the things that truck me was the idea that NTs will do certain body language things consciously and on purpose, (thinking, for instance: this head movement means such and such, so I will do this head movement to convey that) in order to communicate certain things. I asked an NT member who was active at that time, and he said that detail was correct.

There were a few other details I am dubious of, but I don't feel like going into them right now.

Zurb, THANK YOU for thinking of that & for asking both me & GC for our thoughts. That actually means SO much to me, so again, thank you. I will read it & follow up with a report, but it will be - or should be, so hopefully I can stay disciplined! - NEXT WEEK because I have a million (well, not a million, that's an exaggeration, but a LOT) of things to do this week & weekend. Big family get together, traveling, & as a Catholic Easter is a very special (blessed) time for me.

So I WILL follow up with a report. :) THANK YOU again for thinking of us. :tulip::cherryblossom:

On the basis that all behavior is communication, I observe (And have tried at great length to imitate) men generally, moving in an exaggerated manner to convey strength and confidence.. I've managed to convey Walking-on-the-moon and falling-over quite well, though not yet been complemented on my apparent confidence so far.. I live in hope :)

Thank you for submitting this title. It has been the single most useful resource for me in years and I was surprised it wasn't yet included. But I considered myself too new to the forum to do it myself. Thank you very, very much. I hope many people find it helpful. I reread it a lot and certainly do.

ETA: I don't remember it saying that all NT body language was conscious, but I'll go and check the next time I open it. But it does talk about 'intentional display', which goes further than just body language but really concerns overall presentation, including how people dress, and which I find confirmed everyday I leave the house or even only just switch on the telly.

Last edited:
The first 30 pages are available as a PDF and can be downloaded for free, and so I did. Maybe it's just me, but I found those first 30 pages to be a bit too technical to really appreciate properly. It would be good for someone who is really into linguistics and/or psychology, but I don't see how this book will really help the general reader who wants to understand neurotypicals.

The play script was boring, but that is realistic. Obviously it's not an "all NTs" thing, but more an analysis of situations and behaviors one may encounter in NTs and society in general.

It's been more than a year, though, so I'd have to reread it to analyze it properly.

I read it twice and skipped the play the second time - it illustrates the point, but I just preferred the instruction myself.

I observe (And have tried at great length to imitate) men generally, moving in an exaggerated manner to convey strength and confidence..
That reminds me of an early scene in Stir Crazy (1980), where Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder were strutting in prison, saying, "We bad! We bad...!"

Spiller submitted a new resource:

A Field Guide to Earthlings - A Field Guide to Earthlings is a clear and insightful look at how Neurotypical people think!

Read more about this resource...
This book blew my mind. I had no idea quite how tribal/primitive much of NT communication motives were until I read this book....also realized how much I was missing, and why I flail/fail eventually sinking like a stone when it comes to social dynamics, since I was missing the underlying goals and rules - it's like I'm playing Monopoly without any of the rules, then seeing everyone else playing by certain rules, but realizing that I really truly dislike those rules and don't want to play by them....but may have to to an extent....well, that's my inner conflict still.

I feel like I should explain better - I don't mean for the above comment to sound condescending - but basically, a LOT of the motivation, whether they are conscious of it or not, is about determining tribal/group alliances and then status within the tribe, and trying to climb. Since aspies tend not to play this game/shoot for these goals, it's inevitable we end up at the bottom of the food chain eventually. That was one of my takeaways, anyway, and it certainly made a lot of sense based on my experience.

New Threads

Top Bottom