• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A few weird things about me.

I don't know how to live any other way

I'm not suggesting you "live" another way. Just to change your thinking over very short amounts of time. Over hours instead of a lifetime. ;)

Baby steps...but in a better direction.

I haven't lost sight of the fact too that we're Aspies. Change doesn't necessarily come easy to us...I get that in spades! I suspect most things that we do that create the chance to change can only be done a little at a time.

Last edited:
Hello all, I am new here but the raised voice made me giggle, as my friend thought I was going deaf because I talked loud. I even went and had my ears tested, but they were excellent. When I mentioned to the tester that some noises hurt my head he thought I was mad, so I imagine this is my Aspie stuff.

Hello all, I am new here but the raised voice made me giggle, as my friend thought I was going deaf because I talked loud. I even went and had my ears tested, but they were excellent. When I mentioned to the tester that some noises hurt my head he thought I was mad, so I imagine this is my Aspie stuff.

Welcome to AC. Lots of nice women from Queensland here...and other places down under!

Yes I had a dog when I was a girl, he was my only friend, because others thought I was just too weird. I named him Winker as he winked all the time. I am sure he understood me.

My partner was always telling me I was talking too loudly.
As far as walking into things/clumsiness, I've broken both of my little toes several times from accidentally kicking them on furniture and I loose my balance while walking on a perfectly flat surfaces. Also, I'm forever walking into things and dropping things.

My loud- or softness of my voice goes hand in hand with my mood. When I'm excited about something, I can't control it, I'm basically yelling.

I'm very clumsy, I trip, bump in to things and lose my balance all the time. My walking is very strange. When I was younger, people frequently called me duckling.

I understand this, you aught to see me trying to dance. I know which foot to put out, but my other one does it instead. Yea I think this stopped me playing any Netball as I was always tripping over my own feet.

I'm told that I modify my accent to mimic the person to whom I'm speaking. I do it sub-consciously without even realizing it, and it seems to paint a negative picture of me as people assume I am mocking them. I also straighten out my keyboard constantly and make sure everything on my desk is straight and flush with everything else. I can't help it, I do it without even noticing, I did it just then as I typed this. If I see a book on a table that's not straight or something, I 'correct it' by making it parallel to the desk. More stuff too. I know loads of people like this at my school, and some of my family and stuff, I think it's really common somehow.

That tidying bit happens to me in waiting rooms, I have to tidy all the stupid magazines out. Have you noticed the dumb stuff they put in magazines, I think they consider women stupid or something.

I also straighten out my keyboard constantly and make sure everything on my desk is straight and flush with everything else. I can't help it, I do it without even noticing, I did it just then as I typed this. If I see a book on a table that's not straight or something, I 'correct it' by making it parallel to the desk. More stuff too.

Sounds rather familiar. ;) Perhaps you should take the test:

Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale (Y-BOCS)

My score was 17 so I am moderate. Funny about that I never knew tidying up was an obsession, I too keep everything spic and spam and I love it that way.

My score was 17 so I am moderate. Funny about that I never knew tidying up was an obsession, I too keep everything spic and spam and I love it that way.

Me too. But it is OCD for me. Everything in my home sits parallel, perpendicular or at a 45 degree angle to everything else in its proximity. But that's only one of rituals...

But oddly enough I don't extend my OCD beyond my own environment....like "Monk" rearranging someone elses furniture...etc.

I noticed heaps more tests on that and did my Aspie test again, gee its lower. I must be worse as I get older not better.

That tidying bit happens to me in waiting rooms, I have to tidy all the stupid magazines out. Have you noticed the dumb stuff they put in magazines, I think they consider women stupid or something.

It has nothing to do with gender. Maxim is no more intelligent than Ladies' Home Journal, for example.

The accent thing you mentioned - I used to do that when I was younger, especially with this older, British man I used to work with (and he sort of assumed the role of a father figure with me since my Dad had died of synovial sarcoma before I was born). People used to ask me if I was from England. In one way, it was somehow flattering but to those who knew I was Australian, it was (ignorably) embarrassing.

New Threads

Top Bottom