• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A failure again...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Because no one understands me and my approach to photography, certainly not my ultra-rigid camera club

Even my best photo can't even get traction with them, I almost think I shouldn't even bother competing with them since they never like my approach, as club treasurer I can't just quit the club, I just wish someone (anyone) would give me a decent score...

Exhibit A:

Ralph Klein Park 01.jpg

This got the third lowest score out of 75 photos, it is the photo I wanted to take, despite some people's opinions... Yes, the clouds are part of the photo... No, I don't want a tighter crop on the person, it shows the loneliness of a winter day all the better...

Exhibit B:

Bonair Oxygen 01.jpg

A recent photo, I ran across a parking lot just to get this photo, the colour contrast, the neat travel trailer/car combination, yes, even the colour contrast against the building, one judge even suggested it would be better without the building, :mad:, they clearly don't get it, the contrast with the building is what makes this photo, it scored rather low as well, despite being a hit on Instagram...

Exhibit C:

Maybe I become too attached to my photos, I personally associate the first photo with the day I filed my Employment Insurance claim in January of this year, I went to the park after going to the gov't office, and again I feel the result was good among several photos I took that day.... The second photo, I just tried too hard for it, and I'm very happy with the result as is... Then again the club I'm in (mostly) rewards very formulaic photography, mountain landscape that is done well will always get top marks because everyone seems to love it, and my photography is anything but, and I'm not going to apologize for that :rolleyes:...

as club treasurer I can't just quit the club

Keep in mind that giving up a toxic club experience isn't giving up photography.

Maybe you really should consider going your own way, where the only person you need to please is yourself. Which after time may prove to be far more rewarding than relying on others who have a very different perspective on photography.

I gave up attending a modelling club some years ago. Left and never looked back.

I learned that love of a hobby is one thing. And that too much focus on competing was quite another. :eek:

"Been there, done that, got the t-shirt."

Last edited:
Keep in mind that giving up a toxic club experience isn't giving up photography.

Maybe you really should consider going your own way, where the only person you need to please is yourself. Which after time may prove to be far more rewarding than relying on others who have a very different perspective on photography.

I gave up attending a modelling club some years ago. Left and never looked back.
-

As club treasurer I can't just up and leave, but after this competition I'm just debating whether it's worth entering the competitions any more...

I actually don't think the club itself is toxic, they are great people, just that they do not understand the kind of photography I do, I'm not even sure how many people do in general, based on my lack of any popularity... And I do realize that my approach to photography tends to slide in between fairly standard genres, which probably doesn't help any

But ultimately I do mostly photograph for myself, don't know why I got so worked up tonight, probably because I feel like I'm not getting a fair shake

-

As club treasurer I can't just up and leave, but after this competition I'm just debating whether it's worth entering the competitions any more...

Yes you can. It's not the Cosa Nostra. "Once in, never out."

It's just a club. The only real commitment is the one in your mind. You have choices.

For many of us, to march to the beat of our own drum requires doing it alone.

Last edited:
Yes you can. It's not the Cosa Nostra. "Once in, never out."

It's just a club. The only real commitment is the one in your mind. You have choices.

Not going to say you're wrong, back in March I committed to two more years on the executive, I don't plan to back out of that, I like to be a man of my word... And the people themselves are mostly good people...

I like both images. The contrast of the black features across the high-key scene is really great, especially with the tonality of the sky reflecting the tonality in the snow. The love color and structure of the other--not just the gold of the car and trailer, but the red signs as well. Those are not only offset by the neutral tone of the building, but the sky framing the building is the complementary of the gold vehicles and sand parking area. Well done. You are in the wrong club.

There are other places you can enter your photography. It is hard because, as you know, it is highly subjective. But there are places.

I find this a good place to look for call for entries: Calls for Entry

If you are looking for a photo community, I have found this forum rewarding: The GetDPI Photography Forum

Whatever happens, keep working on your photography.

I like both images. The contrast of the black features across the high-key scene is really great, especially with the tonality of the sky reflecting the tonality in the snow. The love color and structure of the other--not just the gold of the car and trailer, but the red signs as well. Those are not only offset by the neutral tone of the building, but the sky framing the building is the complementary of the gold vehicles and sand parking area. Well done. You are in the wrong club.

There are other places you can enter your photography. It is hard because, as you know, it is highly subjective. But there are places.

I find this a good place to look for call for entries: Calls for Entry

If you are looking for a photo community, I have found this forum rewarding: The GetDPI Photography Forum

Whatever happens, keep working on your photography.

I do know it can become subjective, I also think that the club approach to photography, I even think most clubs, can become very much formulaic, doesn't reward stepping out of the typical box...

Been taking photos for over 15 years, don't plan to stop any time soon...

I do know it can become subjective, I also think that the club approach to photography, I even think most clubs, can become very much formulaic, doesn't reward stepping out of the typical box...

Been taking photos for over 15 years, don't plan to stop any time soon...

Quite honestly I can't think of a better reason to leave and do your own thing than what you just posted above. Unless of course your club should suddenly reverse its outlook which probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

I just hate to see you beating yourself up over a social situation that is not in your control. In any event, keep marching to the beat of your own drum and not any other. ;)

Last edited:
On a positive note, I did make the cut for this Canadian photo magazine, their digital edition, as long as anyone makes it back to almost the last page :rolleyes:, page 100... https://www.photoed.ca/digital-issue

I'm not even close to the front of it, but I did get more than one photo in it...

Quite honestly I can't think of a better reason to leave and do your own thing than what you just posted above. Unless of course your club should suddenly reverse its outlook which probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

I just hate to see you beating yourself up over a social situation that is not in your control.

I basically do my own thing anyway, when it comes to my photography itself, we'll agree to disagree, and quite possibly I'll never bother to compete again based on present and past experiences... The club is far more than just the competitions...

I happen to like Exhibit A.

It has a particular style to it which I find to be very peaceful. I've also always loved cold environments. Exhibit A has that stillness about it. Dark yet light and you can practically feel the cold weather. I think it's a great picture. Calming. Which is always needed in today's world.

Not all photographs will resonate with people the same way and that's okay as it's normal. Try not to allow the views of others to get you down.

What makes the essence of any art form so wonderful is what it means to you, the artist/practitioner, individually. Ultimately, those images were taken by you and for you. That is really all that matters.

Keep taking pictures.

im a painter not a photographer but i like the expanse of the snow and the field with the one guy walking away, i painted something like it before. the second is also good. the color of the vehicles grabs you. you got a good eye for a photographer.

New Threads

Top Bottom