• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

____(game idea)

Ravkrat

(Sorry no tl;dr just read it in bits and peices for now, also if you notice any grammar mistakes i drafted this on my iphone..that has cracks over 80% of the screen.

The idea behind it is simple,the phobia of darkness.When we are young we are constantly checking under our beds and setting night lights out..why? Because at such a early age to us the darkness is a living breathing thing,something that can reach out from under your bed and wisk you away. Now what i propose is, what if darkness truly was an entity forgotten has we age, relegated to back of our minds.

Ok now that the propaganda speil is over i guess i should explain, what i plan to create is a single city(for people who live in texas think houston size) that is walled off and covered by a dome.Within this dome lives on humanity(mind you its not the only city just the only one i plan to be useable by the player). Has in all cities their are differing demographics,in the middle of the city are the richest/well-off citizens ones who never have to worry about running out of oil/coal/matches/etc etc, in the middle ring is the middle income families those that are workers or city laborers, they too do not have to wory about running out of lighting commodities but they do have to wory about another thing. This "other" thing are those that lived in the outer-most circle of the city and because of their postion they frequently run out of basic supplies.
Darkness does not out-right kill people instead it feeds off their negative emotions not draining them(think of it has reading a book) once it has feed off their emotions it can,and usually does send said emtions back triple-fold,a slight annoyance at one of your family members can turn to homicidal rage. A slight greif over losing a dear pet can turn to suicidal tendencies(more on this one later).Once the emotions have been sent back then,depending on the darkness's needs it is either repeated or left alone if the process is repeated the risk of going berserk increase exponantiely.Because of the risk's darkness pose's,a strict curfew has been placed on the city, every day at 7:00 pm the chapel bells toll warning everyone of the oncoming darkness.

You might be wondering "ok thats all cool,but where does the player fit in" the player is a coyote, a person who runs goods from the dealers to the receivers, the goods could be medicine needed for a ill child or to things far less benign. Beyond simply running goods you also have two choices( two that lean either good or bad or simply remain neutral) during the day is when some people decide to commit suicide now if you catch someone "on the ledge" you could potentialy talk them down though you would need information from friends/family has to why it is being attempted,if the persons life is saved then the communities veiw of you increases(which generally means less people snitching you out to the guards,and more requests for goods that will be transfered to you over the other coyotes within the city. Beyond the general populace their is also the family that would wish to thank you which could be anything from a little girl giving you a teddy bear to a father/husband giving you money has thanks.
You've probably already noticed this but this game is not all that cheery infact i plan it has a horror/adventure-esque game.

Where crafting is concerned i want the player to be able to craft on the run,literally you will be running..alot, and because of this ive thought of one possible(though probaly impossible) way of crafting whereby you left click your mouse button to put something in your left hand then right click to put something else in your right hand, for example say you wanted to craft a simple torch you would put a stick in your left hand and some rags in your right then click both left and right at the same time to craft it.."all i have now is a twig with some clothe on the end" true there is one more step you need to find a pre-existings light-source,say a lamp outside someones house, run up to it and left click(or right depending on which hand you assigned the stick too) now you have some light though i doubt the inhabitants of the house take kindly to you using there oil. On the other side you could buy a lighter and put it in your free hand then left+ right click to ignite the torch, and if your wondering yes i plan to have this fully animated and let the player be able to move. You would also have a knapsack( or a backpack/duffelbag) depending on how much stuff you wish to carry(yes there will be a weight limit :p ) you would also be able to acces your bag on the run,though it would slow you down abit and inhibit your view, you could also toss your bag on the ground( for the oh chicken i need to run fast moments) depending on which circle you are in depends on how the npcs reacte to your bag if your in the outer-most layer urchins will pick it clean of valuables if you want them back youll need to track the urchins down and retrieve your items from them. If your in the middle ring someone will pick it up and ask around to see who it belongs to and try to return it to you but if they fail they may simply take it to the guards which you then need to pay a fee to get it back, in the inner most circle the populace will simply ignore it though the guards will take it and after a set amount of time destroy it.

Not the most pleasant of worlds and certanly not the easist ideas/thoughts to implement but to me it sounds like something worth spending a decade or more making,a good hobby lasts a month a fine one..decades :p

P.S i may refine some points later on. Has of now this game is nothing more then a twinkle in my eye.

P.P.S with all that in mind does this sound like something you would play?

Well, you might want to reconsider the title though ;) Home | Umbra

Though I guess if the game would be visually appealing, something that's interesting with a contrasting palette of the use of "absense of light". Reminds me a bit of what they did with the game Contrast as well (where you can use the shadows as platforms akin to platformer games)

As for the story and concept; it's an interesting idea and I would most likely be interested in it if it were an RPG like thing like the last bunch of Fallout games, just in a fully fledged and dynamic city. However, I don't even dare to dream what kind of rig you need to run that. I mean, looking at the up and coming Assassins creed Unity game; that's how IMO dynamics in terms of population should work (it's a start but most likely not even the final stage of such complex additions in videogames).

Hats off if you can manage this all on your own though ;) sounds like a lot of work. A friend of mine got a degree in game design and every once in a while I'll discuss some ideas for games with him and he shows me some of his work (mostly when I run into him on the street, lol.. he's always hauling around his MacBook). So I know a bit on how much work it is overall.

New Threads

Top Bottom