• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

43 and questioning.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I find that what we see as simple and easily done is not for those who are strictly linear thinkers. Those of us on the autistic spectrum do think differently than those who are not.

In my world those diagnosed with ADHD are gifted. I often wonder what will happen when the dam breaks and human evolution kicks in full throttle. That would be when every one has ADHD. May be then we can see this as the gift it is instead of treating it like it were a problem.

I hope you enjoy your time at the forum and make new friendships here.

John

Thank you all for the amazingly warm welcome. I truly do appreciate it, and I also feel a little less nervous as, from what I am hearing, there may be some validity to me possibly being on the spectrum.

I've read each of your responses and I feel like I can relate to those posts where you've given details on your similar experiences. There are also instances where I think that I'm slightly different, but this may be as one user said, "If you've met one autistic person, then you've met that one autistic person".

Hi and welcome, you do seem to tick some boxes, I hope you find it useful to be here.sounds like your daughter may turn out to be Aspie too.

I am self diagnosed after much research and having some relevant clinical experience working with people on the spectrum. I can relate to your feeling mystified by others seeming to under perform, and would caution you not to turn that one back on yourself if you do decide or find yourself to be on the autistic spectrum.

What I mean is, as with any stigmatised minority experience, you can feel how you are is lesser, and that your conclusions about others were wrong, but that's the social stigma, which tends to make minority experience wrong and so called normal experience right. So if that's who you are, you’re judgemental and rigid, rather than them under performing and seeming unconcerned about it and chatting away. :rolleyes:

There's a balance to be found, reassessing doesn't mean you're all wrong in your views, but there can be some ideas and ways to review. It all takes time, it's a process.

I think I understand what you mean. You're cautioning against me looking at myself in a negative light if it turns out that I do have autism, because society tends to stigmatize autistic individuals? I agree that I shouldn't do that to myself, however I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit that I was of two-minds when considering that I might be. Let me see if I can explain.

One side of me thinks that learning this information is fantastic news. It helps me in answering the questions that I've always had, and helps explain a lot of my behavior and thought process. I always tell the people I manage that we "can't solve a problem if we don't know what the problem is", so learning this is part of the process of being able to develop positive coping mechanisms and understanding my though process and behavior. It also helps me realize that I *shouldn't* beat myself up for feeling inadequate, because it's all relative?

On the flip side, I feel like what I thought I knew...isn't. And it somewhat feels a little bit like the ground crumbling out from underneath me. Not from a catastrophic sense, but more from a "I thought I was on solid footing and had this life business sorted out." I am also worried about the stigma that neurotypicals associate with autism. And while I'm currently in this discovery phase, my initial desire is to talk with everyone about it and get their opinion. But, I don't know how much I should really keep close to my chest. My wife knows, and is amazingly supportive, so I have an outlet. So, there's a part of me that now feels like I now know something about myself that I can't be open and honest to people with out of how they might react -- which honestly shouldn't be too difficult for me to do because I do have some 'lifestyle choices*' that require the same care.

Welcome to the forum! You certainly belong here. I was diagnoses with ASD several months ago and I understand what you are saying very well. I relate very much to most of the points you made.

I too grew up with a physically abusive father, and I read people very well for partly those same defense, protective and survival mechanisms you mentioned, to the point that in ways I feel I can analyze even too much, and much deeper than the surface, every minute detail.

Just curious if you see yourself as a perfectionist, as that is what I sense in you. I mean, you seem to hold not only yourself to high standards, but can get frustrated if others do not do the same. I do relate to your needs to do things as effectively and as efficiently as possible, but to conserve our energies until then.

My wife and youngest son have ADHD too. That son has diagnosed Autism as well. Although I am structured and a believer in rules, I admittedly have that very independent, leader, spontaneous and creative side. I can deviate from rules or create my own at times, if I feel that is more proper for our situation.

My conditions, the recently diagnosed Autism and past diagnosed AvPD, and I suspect ocpd too, which the latter condition you may want to research as well, were and are such I need to work at home, due to severe avoidant, self-consciousness, perfectionism, and lack of concentration around others.

In my case, I give the best efforts when I away from others who distract me, those times those things need to be done. I am pretty good at prioritizing, and putting others first. I seemed to have a high stress tolerance now, and from my many self-help efforts since, but I am always looking to be better and do better.

Feel free to look around and post anytime.

I DO see myself as a perfectionist, and several individuals have made comments as such throughout my life. I like things being neat and orderly, and when they're not it makes me feel slovenly, unclean, unkempt, and irresponsible. I believe a lot of that derives from my abusive parents. My mother was the type that would clean the cleaning supplies because they were filthy, and the house had to be immaculate (I'm sure at the insistence of my father).

That makes me recall one day when I was young, maybe 8 or 9, and my mother was showing my two older sisters how to vacuum the carpet in one of the rooms in our old house. My sisters would take the vacuum and go around the carpet in an unorderly and somewhat careless manner, imho. My mom then instructed me to try, and after I finished the carpet looked like this (as an example):

vacuum+lines.jpg

As I said, that picture above is an example and not one that I did -- mine would look neater :p. So, yeah, I like things to look neat. It makes me feel like the job was done properly because it was always drilled in to me to do it right the first time.

I do get frustrated when people don't have the same level of care or concern about such things, which has made it challenging living with two individuals with ADHD. It always makes me feel like people are inconsiderate, insincere, or uncaring. However, once we recognized what the issue was with my Wife and Daughter, I was able to redirect or readjust my thinking to where it's ok for them, but I still have issues with others. This bleeds through into all aspects of life for me though - whether it's washing the dishes to ensuring laws are implemented to actually help people instead of corrupt purposes. As a result, I think it tends to be the underlying issue for a lot of my depression (though I know it's chemical, but the thoughts I have contribute to it).

I'm also similar in that I like rules, but can function well in chaos -- I guess mainly because I want to bring order to it. I have a wide range of hobbies and interests. I used to act, sing, dance, perform, do puppetry, stilt-walk, paint, draw, do graphic design, etc. Anything that is of a creative nature is something I am drawn to. I both play and DM D&D games. I love playing video games that are more logistic management style games (i.e. Satisfactory, Dyson Sphere Project, etc) and am disinterested in games where you just run around a play as a shooter (FPS). I love complex hobbies, like some people like to garden -- I like to manage saltwater aquariums. Some people like having little figurines to represent their tokens in a D&D game -- I build 3D terrain using dental plaster and molds and carving/sculpting them out.

e7e37c7cc1a6ea24186cf791eb114558.jpg

Some people like to jot down ideas for games -- I go into full-blown world-building mode as if I were channeling George R.R. Martin or something. Because I always feel like if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it to the best possible level, otherwise why do it? And if I don't give it my best possible effort, people will think I don't care, or that I'm lazy, or that blah blah blah, whatever else reason that the narrative in my head convinces me of. The downside to that, though, is that I burnout easily, and if I don't get a big reaction from people that they're really excited or happy, then my feelings end up getting hurt. Something I've been trying to work on not letting it affect me so much.

Last edited:
Same here. I had a technical job where post-training, we were expected to be mentored / monitored for accuracy for 6-8 weeks, and then join the regular team with graduated production targets for 12-16 weeks starting at 25%.

I was moved out of the first phase in 3 weeks and was already hitting >50% of normal production targets.

If it's technical, and once you explain how things work, the solutions just appear to me.

I'm glad you have had the opportunity to move to a senior position, as for many on the spectrum, including myself, underemployment is a major issue (alongside unemployment).

100% agree. I've might meet someone at an event with similar interests, agree to follow-up / make contact afterwards, send an email following on the discussions, and get ghosted immediately. This ironically includes situations where the other person self-identifies as being on the spectrum.

I'm not sure if perhaps we're so genuine and sincere, and that those like us are so rare, that we get perceived to be someone with ill intentions.

I am incredibly thankful that I am able to do what I do, but I also believe that I worked my butt off to get here as well. And I've had enormous setbacks in my life, so I am incredibly thankful, and I wish everyone else could have the same opportunities.

1. Re: "Reading People". One of the common findings that psychologists will pick up on with regards to identifying an autistic individual is the apparent "lacking in cognitive empathy". So, this is "perspective taking", reading microexpressions, body language, voice intonation, etc., and also identifying one's own emotional state at any given time,...not emotional empathy (responding to someone else's emotional happiness, sadness, anger,...or crying during an emotional piece of music or movie scene). Cognitive and emotional empathies come from distinctly different areas of the brain. Emotional empathy is more of a primitive response, involves "mirror neurons", and is often part of survival instincts. Most, if not all, animal species that are social have this. Cognitive empathy is a highly complex and coordinated set of responses from different areas of the brain. Examples of cognitive empathy, in my case,...(1) I can sit behind the computer screen and type away, describing anger, frustration, happiness, etc....but if you asked me right now how I was feeling, I couldn't tell you. Intellectually, I know that emotional states are generally not isolated, but mixed,...so if you asked me to describe one feeling, I would struggle. I would have to step back and think about it for a long while then get back to you. (2) I have been married for 35 years,...and as a married guy, I know when I am NOT going to be intimate with my wife,...I know when she is angry with me (emotional empathy). However, I NEVER know when I am going to be intimate with my wife,...as I simply do not read the signals, hints, subtle clues and flirtation (cognitive empathy),...she literally has to say something like, "If you're good, we can have "playtime" tonight". Otherwise,...clueless. I know my wife in the sense that I have had many years of experience living with her,...but I never know what she is thinking at any given time. (3) If you have had anyone say something like, "How would you feel if I did that to you?",...and you literally would have no idea. Worse,..."How do you think that makes me feel?",...zero idea. These are questions I would probably look you like you were having an intellectual conversation with your dog. With all of that, comes a whole Pandora's box of neurotypical, "land mine", emotional responses that we are not prepared, at all, to deal with. It affects our personal and professional lives significantly. We often receive an unflattering, sometimes derogatory "moral diagnosis" from others.
2. With regards to your professional career. Interestingly, enough, there are employers (mostly technical occupations) that actually seek out autistics for the traits that you describe. For many neurotypicals, whether it be school or employment, they tend to look at things primarily from a social perspective, it's a place to interact with others. For many autistics, we generally have difficulty with socialization, so we naturally put our mental energy towards the task put in front of us. As an employer or instructor, you're probably going to find high performers in the autistics,...provided that whatever you are doing does not rely upon a high social dynamic (group projects, customer service, marketing, sales, etc. where one has to be excellent at reading and responding to individuals).
3. Safety and communication is critical in the work place. Aviation certainly is one,...I am in medicine,...we are on the same page with this.
4. Being frustrated with others,...Wow!,...Yes! I have come so close to throwing up my hands and walking away from my job. People that are decision makers can individually, or as a group, cannot see what I am seeing. It can, in some cases, take months for them to eventually acknowledge and respond to things that I can see within seconds,...and no amount of beating them over the head seems to work. The issue is, these things involve the well-being and lives of infants,...so yes,...I can get very frustrated and angry.
5. Friends. I can say I have friendly acquaintances. I seem to get along fine with people, but it goes no further. From a physiologic perspective one can look at the role of the posterior pituitary and the release of the hormones oxytocin and vasopressin,...in my case, the lack thereof,...a common finding with autistics. These are the so-called "love hormones" that are responsible for that euphoric feeling at the beginning of a relationship, but are also responsible for seeking out social interactions. People like myself generally do not seek out social interactions,...it may not be actual avoidance, per se,...but definitely not putting ourselves "out there". I have an "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" social guidance,...I do not think of anyone,...not my wife, not my kids, nobody,...unless they are in field of view. I do not "miss" people. Friendship requires a lot of mental energy and commitment that I simply am not set up for. I am getting to the age where one's mortality becomes a reality,..."What would happen if my wife suddenly died?" I would go through the grieving process, but I would be totally OK emotionally,...I think. I would probably have more trouble dealing with paying the bills on time and organizing my life, as my wife does a lot.
6. ADHD, OCD, depression, anxiety, and all the other "D's",...one will find there is a fair amount of cross-over with the autistic population,...imagine a Venn diagram. Autism is a congenital condition. Autism begins at the earliest part of brain development within the womb, as evidence of microscopic anatomical studies and functional MRI studies. The autistic brain is characterized by areas of abnormal neuron migration and layering, areas of abnormal neuron structure, areas of hyper and hypo conduction (high and low voltage), areas of hyper and hypo connectivity (thick and thin wiring), there is abnormal neuronal "pruning" in early childhood (this is when parents often recognize something is wrong). It is also why medications used to stimulate or inhibit certain neurotransmitters (dopamine, serotonin, acetylcholine, etc.) can have significant side effects,...fix one symptom,...cause 4 other problems. The causes of autism are multi-factoral, sometimes primarily genetic, sometimes due to the maternal hormonal milieu, sometimes a mix. There are over 100 genetic markers for autism on the human genome. There are several variants of autism. If you've met one person with autism,...you've met one person with autism,...as the range of neurodiversity within the autistic community far exceeds the neurodiversity within the so-called neurotypical community.
7. In 2021, the primary way to diagnose autism is though psychology,...behavior clues,...symptoms. In the not-so-distant future, it will be though functional MRI studies,...looking at the functional anatomy. There are autism centers in many communities, but as an adult, it is best to specifically seek out those that deal with adults. Autistic adults can be very good at "masking" their autism,...even if they don't know they have autism, because they know how to "observe and imitate". It takes a keen psychologist to sort it out through asking the correct questions, as well as, appropriate cognitive performance testing. If you are lucky enough to be near a university medical center that has an autism research center,...then you will have a better chance of getting those imaging studies.

1. I don't feel like this really pertains to me, or maybe I just 'think' of it differently? For me, I'll cry at the drop of a hat during an emotional scene in a movie or from a song. Almost like I have an over-abundance of empathy. I don't feel that I'm doing it as a means to imitate expected behavior for a particular situation. I feel sadness, I feel anguish, I feel dread, I feel longing -- I identify with these things by my thoughts connecting to memories of where I experienced similar situations. I am able to understand and empathize with someone's plight or situation. But I feel like I'm also able to recognize the social and facial cues that leads me to think when people react a certain way, it's for specific reasons.

For example, I've had conversations with people where their behavior is unusual for the situation, and by studying their mannerisms and ticks, I'm able to just out of the blue ask something like "How's your wife doing?". We may have been talking about a Fuel Control Unit on a Pratt & Whitney PT6A-42A Turbine Engine, then suddenly "Hey, how's your wife". And 9/10 times, they enter into a moment where they pour their heart out because something has been going on -- and I was able to recognize it and ask the right question. But this is one of those things that I always just thought to myself that I must just be thinking it already, or I'm just tuned in to looking out for stuff like that because I'm just a considerate person? Maybe? I dunno. So I'm not really sure if this is one of those things that's an indicator.

I too, can sit behind the computer screen and write wonderful stories deep in meaning and lore with wonderful descriptions and convey my thoughts (this post is a prime example), but get me in person and I bumble through trying to articulate myself. I often times wind up saying "It's hard to describe what I mean. It just makes me feel <x>."

When it comes to people, I do miss people, but typically only those in my immediate circle like my wife and my daughter. But distant family, friends, etc, not so much. I have to work hard at maintaining relationships with people, otherwise I tend to not be the one to reach out first. I have to work hard at being like "I need to text <name> because I haven't talked to them in a while".

I've never had someone tell me "How do you think that makes me feel?", because typically I'm the one asking those types of questions. Not bad-mouthing anyone, I just mean that typically I'm the first in a situation to empathize with others in a conversation and can make those connections before others. So, again, not sure if that's an indicator for or against my suspicions.

2. I tend to be somewhere in the middle. As I stated earlier, I like really complex hobbies (salt-water aquarium, building my own computer, building remote controlled airplanes, etc), so I very much 'geek out' on really technical stuff. I'm a sucker for shows like How Its Made, or Star Trek TNG, etc. I love watching DIY videos about anything from how to make your own bullwhip, to putting in your own track lighting, to programing multiple drones to operate in sync, etc. But I cannot stand sitcoms, or pretty much anything with a laugh track. I cannot stand "reality" shows, unless its something like The Great British Baking Show.

I'm able to get along with co-workers who are acquaintances, but not friends. I interact with customers because I know the formula with what makes the customers in my job field comfortable (because I've been around them all my life -- I grew up in an Aviation Family, so it's literally something I've been in since I was born).

3. YES! My wife is also in medicine, and she and I see things very much in the same light. When it comes to safety, we take our responsibilities extremely seriously, like to the point where I get visibly upset when people don't have the same level of concern.

4. Same. I often can spot trends and have been able to call scenarios long before they happen (6+ months). Luckily, my boss (the President of the Company) is extremely supportive, so if I see something, whether it's an opportunity or cause for concern, he backs me up in my decisions and so far (knocks on wood) I've done well. In previously jobs, I've always had people reject or dismiss my ideas, and I would quickly find myself losing any interest in performing and would eventually move on to something more promising.

5. I am the same when it comes to acquaintances. I have loads of those and I get along well with others. I was always an extrovert in my teenage, early 20s and would love meeting new people and being the center of attention. It made me feel good about myself and my self-image was on cloud 9 as a result. Since being married and becoming a father and being in the work that I do, I'm more of an introvert and I find myself pining for the days when I was more extroverted. I tend to find myself taking on roles in which I have a good chance being looked at by others in a positive way -- a mentor, teacher, coach, a leader, a DM for D&D, running my own game server, etc. I like feeling important, and I like people being thankful of what I do. It makes me feel like I have value and comes with a 'high'. I would equate those feelings to being similar to NRE (New relationship energy), the kind of energy you feel when you first start dating someone -- that excitement and anticipation. It's exhilarating, and it's something I'm always looking for.

6. I was always told that I was a mistake when I was born. Not in a "We wish you hadn't been born" kind of way, but in a more "You weren't expected or planned". I'm the result of my mom's nail polish leaking in her purse and sealing her birth control packet closed to where she couldn't get it open, and viola, here I am! But that always made me wonder if that may have had something to do with how I developed. That may be a rather irrational thought, but I'm naturally curious and just 'wonder'.

I know that when it comes to treating my depression, multiple psychiatrists have had difficulty and I'm considered a complex case. I've tried a number of anti-depression medications - can't remember which off the top of my head except for Zoloft and Wellbutrin. None seemed to every really do the trick. It would take some, a minor, edge off, but nothing significant. I find myself self-medicating either with alcohol, nicotine, or caffeine. Marijuana has helped with my anxiety and focus. There's the old joke about people being like "I do <x> better when I'm drunk/high"...for me it actually feels like that. I, and I want to be clear, DO NOT use marijuana or drink in the job that I currently hold in aviation. I've always been able to snap my fingers and stop cold-turkey if my responsibilities dictate that I must -- no problem. But before I had a job that regulated drug use, yes, my go-to would always be to smoke. I never drank alcohol until I couldn't smoke anymore, then I did the next 'legal' thing. I tend to do things in excess -- multiple cups of coffee, cigarettes, over-season my food, wake and bake, etc., but it always seemed to help my focus (except for alcohol). I tend to stay up late, 1/2/3 AM and sleep in until 9/10/11 is how I function best. I've always had trouble going to bed at 10 or 11 and getting up at 6 or 7, regardless if I get plenty of sleep.

Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent and some slight stream-of-consciousness there. Fwiw.

7. I currently live in Orange County in Southern California, USA. So I think I'm in a good spot for resources. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the recommendations!

Last edited:
One thing I have heard about autism is that skill sets are "spikey", i.e. typically either very good at something or very bad.
Also despite the myth autistics have empathy (often overwhelming)

It always seems that whatever I attempt, I end up being good at it. And I'm aware that probably comes off as sounding arrogant or conceited which is not my intention. Honestly, if I commit to something wholeheartedly, I'm going to be good at it - whether it was in the military, singing, stilt-walking, etc etc. However, I'm bad at sports and typically don't engage in it. I'm good at working on airplanes, but I do not believe I would be good at flying them - I know how to fly, I just don't think you'd want me as a pilot.

If I committed myself to being good at sports, I would do everything to learn all the tricks and practice to be the best. I just don't have any interest. I have found that I dive into new subjects with passion and learn as much as I can and get to a point where I've achieved success through a self-determined goal I may have placed for myself. Usually that goal line is where the only way to progress in something is with time - not study, not understanding, but just through doing it over and over and over again. That's where I tend to lose interest and move on to something else.

It always seems that whatever I attempt, I end up being good at it. And I'm aware that probably comes off as sounding arrogant or conceited which is not my intention. Honestly, if I commit to something wholeheartedly, I'm going to be good at it - whether it was in the military, singing, stilt-walking, etc etc. However, I'm bad at sports and typically don't engage in it. I'm good at working on airplanes, but I do not believe I would be good at flying them - I know how to fly, I just don't think you'd want me as a pilot.

Not surprising, you do the things that interest you, hyperfocus on them and excel.

Hi and welcome to the forums :). There are online tests which are screening tools for possible ASD. I like the AQ, but there are others Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ).

I took this one that was recommended and received a 20/50 indicating few or no Autistic traits. So, feeling a little puzzled. But I know one quiz isn't the final determination of anything...if there are any other recommendations, I would certainly love to try.

And on my other results:
AQ: 20 | EQ: 51 | RAADS-R: 115 | OCPD: 71
Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 103 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 120 of 200
Meyer-Briggs: ENFP

Last edited:
I DO see myself as a perfectionist, and several individuals have made comments as such throughout my life. I like things being neat and orderly, and when they're not it makes me feel slovenly, unclean, unkempt, and irresponsible. I believe a lot of that derives from my abusive parents. My mother was the type that would clean the cleaning supplies because they were filthy, and the house had to be immaculate (I'm sure at the insistence of my father).

That makes me recall one day when I was young, maybe 8 or 9, and my mother was showing my two older sisters how to vacuum the carpet in one of the rooms in our old house. My sisters would take the vacuum and go around the carpet in an unorderly and somewhat careless manner, imho. My mom then instructed me to try, and after I finished the carpet looked like this (as an example):

vacuum+lines.jpg

As I said, that picture above is an example and not one that I did -- mine would look neater :p. So, yeah, I like things to look neat. It makes me feel like the job was done properly because it was always drilled in to me to do it right the first time.

I do get frustrated when people don't have the same level of care or concern about such things, which has made it challenging living with two individuals with ADHD. It always makes me feel like people are inconsiderate, insincere, or uncaring. However, once we recognized what the issue was with my Wife and Daughter, I was able to redirect or readjust my thinking to where it's ok for them, but I still have issues with others. This bleeds through into all aspects of life for me though - whether it's washing the dishes to ensuring laws are implemented to actually help people instead of corrupt purposes. As a result, I think it tends to be the underlying issue for a lot of my depression (though I know it's chemical, but the thoughts I have contribute to it).

I'm also similar in that I like rules, but can function well in chaos -- I guess mainly because I want to bring order to it. I have a wide range of hobbies and interests. I used to act, sing, dance, perform, do puppetry, stilt-walk, paint, draw, do graphic design, etc. Anything that is of a creative nature is something I am drawn to. I both play and DM D&D games. I love playing video games that are more logistic management style games (i.e. Satisfactory, Dyson Sphere Project, etc) and am disinterested in games where you just run around a play as a shooter (FPS). I love complex hobbies, like some people like to garden -- I like to manage saltwater aquariums. Some people like having little figurines to represent their tokens in a D&D game -- I build 3D terrain using dental plaster and molds and carving/sculpting them out.

e7e37c7cc1a6ea24186cf791eb114558.jpg

Some people like to jot down ideas for games -- I go into full-blown world-building mode as if I were channeling George R.R. Martin or something. Because I always feel like if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it to the best possible level, otherwise why do it? And if I don't give it my best possible effort, people will think I don't care, or that I'm lazy, or that blah blah blah, whatever else reason that the narrative in my head convinces me of. The downside to that, though, is that I burnout easily, and if I don't get a big reaction from people that they're really excited or happy, then my feelings end up getting hurt. Something I've been trying to work on not letting it affect me so much.

My mother was very domineering. Every task--small, medium things and large-- had to be done at her timing and in her very orderly, organized and clean ways, if not better, or else she would get mad. If there was even a drop of water in the soap dish, she would wash my mouth out with soap, as a reminder to be perfect for every detail. Or she would threaten us saying, "Wait til your father gets home. He'll give you a good spanking."

I had to be a perfect angel in her eyes, and do no wrong, but only good. My attention was on not having fun or living, but making them happy. If they were mad, I blamed myself. I needed to be one step ahead of them, in every way. So, it was not good enough to be on par with them, or to wait until a demand was made. I had to anticipate every move by them in advance, and have an answer, action or reaction ready, to make things calm and to prevent some confrontation.

Needless to say, I am still that perfectionistic way today. My creative side--singing, playing piano, landscape paintings, book writing--was likely partially because of a need not only to calm all those anxieties growing up, but to be seen in a better light to feel more cared about. I am not a traditional workaholic in that I am not working in outside settings, but whatever I do at home and for family, I give my all and do mostly everything they cannot do.

It is difficult sometimes living with loved others totally opposite as me, in terms of those with ADHD wanting things messy, cluttered, or feeling stress at clean things, but I have learned to find compromise there. Their things they do their ways, but for my things and shared things they allow me to make things tidy there without complaint, as long as I do this mostly at day's end. That gives me motivation the next morning to feel more energized and to work.

My wife calls herself an organized mess, in that she generally knows where things are, but not exactly where they are. As for our youngest son, with ADHD and Autism, he acts like the house is his playground. Climbs on everything, finds papers to rip, and throw the pieces all over, and it does not bother him to make holes with his fingers in the drywall either, or scratch new appliances. He's on clonidine now, a milder off-use drug for controlling ADHD, so that helps.

He's a loveable child though. Laughs and smiles a lot. No anger shown when he does those above things. Very clingy and tries his best. He just does not know better. He is who he is mostly because of genetics, and so he cannot follow any direction yet, and still has other delays. It makes things hard sometimes, but I focus on my efforts, more than results always now. Lots of my differences with them I see as more compatible. I parent totally different than how I was raised.

Last edited:
And on my other results:
AQ: 20 | EQ: 51 | RAADS-R: 115

As you are no doubt aware the scores are not a true diagnostic device.
One thing perhaps you should try is to go through the questions with your wife and see does she agree with your answers, sometimes others have a different perception of us.

But whether or not you are actually autistic, it seems that you are seeking some answers to problems you are experiencing.

And on my other results:
AQ: 20 | EQ: 51 | RAADS-R: 115 | OCPD: 71

I think I felt like RAADS was the better quiz for adults. I've spent a lot of my life learning to adapt my way of being to suit the world. So a lot of my behaviours have changed now as a result. RAADS had the "when you were young" responses that allowed it to take into account behaviour that might have been adapted over the years to "fit in". AQ didn't have those, and I often found I would have answered questions there differently when I was a child than how I am now.

That being said, I still ended up in the AS range on both quizzes, although just barely for AQ (32 IIRC).

I always feel like tests can be a little subjective because a lot of questions asked are not perfect for every situation. I often find myself second-guessing myself depending on what scenarios pop into my head based on the question asked.

My general thought is, if I am on the spectrum, I'm probably only just. I have a good friend with a psychology background that agrees I exhibit some of the characteristics, and my wife thinks a lot of how I behave makes sense if looking through the lens of being on the spectrum. She more or less said if I am, I mask very well, and I'm more female-presenting, on her opinion. I think at this point it would be worthwhile for me to see if I should be evaluated professionally and see what comes of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom