• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

1x1 inch Graph Paper & Dragons: Because Pencil Drawings Don't Move

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
When I wake up in the mornings, on average, I'm the first one to wake up, and for a good while I will be the only person in the house who is awake, until maybe 2 PM or so because everyone in our house is a very heavy sleeper, myself included on most days.

For whatever reason, and my mother and Sophia are just as puzzled at this, Maddog likes to sleep downstairs on the couch; none of us know why. Sometimes he sleeps upstairs but mostly it's the couch. I guess he just likes the extra space? IDK.

Anyway. So, as many people can agree, when it's first thing in the morning, nobody likes hearing constant noise that will probably wake them up if it keeps happening. So, to be respectful of that, I like to hang out upstairs in my room until everyone's awake. The dilemma I'm facing? Because house rules state that Maddog's PS4 and his gaming laptop are to remain downstairs at all times, obviously this means I don't have access to our main library of games we have (read: all four of us are gamers and we have spent basically our whole lives fighting boredom with video games... Honestly I'm not really proud of that kind of habit but I have found alternative entertainment options that I do enjoy., that's a different story though.)

So what does hyper-intelligent, nearly-IQ-of-possibly 280 little ol' Uber Scout do when he faces a problem like this? Simple; I grab some graphing paper, a pencil, a whole bag of RPG dice, and the smallest objects I can find that can somehow fit into those tiny little squares in some way, I write some quick, easy to understand rules that don't take long, and I run a little 5-10 minute dungeon that looks like the game NetHack on my graphing paper!

Now, here's where my problem begins....

Obviously it would be really difficult to move my courageous, heroic @ symbol around the paper when in fact he is nothing but a tiny pencil drawing, the same being said for the other monsters that roam whatever I sketch up. At first I had a tiny "eureka" moment because I remembered I have three D&d miniatures that Maddog got me for Christmas last year. I tried to put my Rogue miniature at the beginning, when I saw that the base of the figurine takes up a whole 3x3 space on the paper. So then I thought, and I was like, wait, I have some gemstones I also got as a Christmas present last year! Maybe they're small enough to fit... Nope, not quite. They juuuust barely take up a smidgen less space than my Rogue miniature, but it's still a hair too much. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks: chess pieces!! I'm a genius! And believe it or not, despite still taking up a 2x2 square of space on the paper, I managed to figure out how to adapt everything to fit closely enough to an accurate replica of Nethack (can you tell I've recently become a fan of that game yet? :p) and here it is: Instead of drawing the dungeon the "traditional D&d" fashion (eg. One square on the grid is one space a PC occupies), I just scale up the proportions of the walkable spaces to one extra square, so that each chess piece can easily fit in their own 2x2 space, which counts as one tile!

PHEW! Okay, I just want to say, I am really sorry that this post takes up the whole resolution of your screen and then some, but I wanted to make sure the details were fully understandable so *somebody* here could help me because Google is absolutely atrocious at giving me answers to stuff like this. Second, I know it seems like I just answered my own question here, but the point I was getting to with this was, what exactly kind of item could I use that will actually fit in 1 grid square somehow? I literally don't have any ideas what I could use :/

TL;DR: I made NetHack/Angband on graphing paper but everything I have is too big help pls thank

So I think you will end up making something. I think a disk, cut from cereal box or beer case cardboard with a number on it. How about three beads on a screw with a nut to hold them? What about a washer with some fingernail polish on it? Coins?

Do you know how to tie knots? Scrap electrical wire is fun to play with, then you could have different colors. Little rocks?

Of course if you have a working computer and a printer, you could print out a graph of whatever you want.
I think washers is prolly the easiest.

Did you know that Doom is actually a 2d(flat) game and it's based on D and D? There used to be clubs that would meet to play role playing board and dice games. We still have a storefront here where I live, that might be fun, to go out and meet some more new people?

Last edited:
@Skittlebisquit said "Scrap electrical wire is fun to play with..."

qvuy2dozr5971.jpg

Seen on reddit.

Have you tried isometric paper? Its triangles and very good for 3d sketches.

Have you tried isometric paper? Its triangles and very good for 3d sketches.

Eh, diagonal movement never really work for me. I've always felt that top down overhead made more sense.

He's talking about use graph paper, that us called "isometric"
That kind looks like hexagons that are tall and thin, typically.

U still can use it for a straight grid, you put tracing paper on atop of it and then mark where the lines cross.

I am goin to post you some pics. On this thread I think, ok?

Anyways I can send you 5 sheets of different paper, unless you are in Europe, but that's ok. 5/4 quadrille is the first one you want. It's a lightweight pencil paper that dents easily and you can sort o see it under the work you do on an overlay.

Next is called four column cambridge. It's used for accounting. Its is called a columnar pad.

Third is isolation pad. It looks like h2xagons tall and skinny

It's not exactly legal to use it like this but it will work. Kind of. You need an church office lady to help. She will have all these.
20210705_135247.jpg
You have your friend s run a sheet of 5/4quadrile, the accounting paper, and things like that thru a scanner, and send it to you via attachment. You print it out there, at home.
20210705_135221.jpg
20210705_135308.jpg

Anyways any office/cleric/librarian type or a teacher type will have those and more in stock. You could ask @tree how to get that sort of thing sent to you and see what she has. She is likely familiar with several hundred types of paper.

The basic concept is like light paper over the top of a chess board. You mark the crosses as an overlay, then use the over lay

Last edited:
If you draw on those three I sen they will be crooked! I snapped a pic of office supply issue with a hand cam.

Here is 1000ph overlay on 64 bit 1.5 x 1.5 inch.
It's worthless like that anyways bc it's not straight. Alls you need is a working printer to do it and a church lady friend who works at an office..... the fun part about iso and cambridge is you can set a copy machine to mask for either, but the library machines mask in blue and print green faint as guidelines and red dark (blk)as a default. If you dont have the printer see if you can get your friends here to send you paper maybe or teach you about it at least. I used to get big flat envelopes for my birthday with paper and pens and rulers
20210705_141823.jpg
20210705_141823.jpg

Last edited:
See how you can see thru the top sheet? It's old fashioned I know. But if you can get to a working printer(library) and one of your friends has a scanner, then you could get graphs to draw on top.of.
20210705_143646.jpg

And that's how we used to do it back in the day. Technical paper is not the same as tracing or parchment. It's a type of drawing paper

Ir will change your craft as a working artist to hand draw with 4hb pencil on technical paper that itself is overlayed on to some type of graphing

New Threads

Top Bottom