• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

1440p or a 144hz with Gsync monitor?

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
Hey, nerds. I'm gonna be buying a new monitor for my gaming PC and I was wondering which one to go for.

My set up is:
i7 4790
GTX 970
8 GB RAM

I play mostly Skyrim at the moment, which is capped to 60 FPS, anything higher than that and physics start going wrong - flying cows and horses. However I do mod it a lot and the way I've got it at the moment I do have areas where I dip down in frames or for some odd reason I get a stutter (had this in Oldrim as well as SE for some reason). Regardless of monitor I got for that I would keep it at 1080p 60 FPS just for the more mod capabilities, but the Gsync would be handy. I've also been getting into some indie games. I know that there are a lot games out there hard capped at 30 FPS so 1440p would make more sense in that regard. I don't play any FPS games all that often, and online FPS games never.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 144hz/Gsync. Thoughts?

Yeah. I did also think that running 1080p on a 1440p monitor would make it look like arse too. I think 144hz might be the better choice then.

If you're playing SSE, they fixed the issues now with physics going haywire on high-refresh rates. I have a 144hz monitor - tried it for myself (and also on Oldrim, didn't work :p) and can confirm this, so I don't think you should have any problems.

If you're playing SSE, they fixed the issues now with physics going haywire on high-refresh rates. I have a 144hz monitor - tried it for myself (and also on Oldrim, didn't work :p) and can confirm this, so I don't think you should have any problems.

Ah, okay! I didn't expect to see that what with Fallout 4 stuck at 60 too.

On second thought, I take that back...just a little. The 1.3 patch for SSE stated "better support for 144hz monitors". There's no details beyond that, but when I tried it out at 120hz nothing odd seemed to be going on when compared to Oldrim (objects started flying into the distance and other crazy stuff). I don't think Fallout 4 has that problem either - again, with the patches of course, nothing unusual that I could tell playing at 120hz.

If there happens to be a problem after all and you're using a 144hz monitor, this thread on Reddit might be of use to you.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom