• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Xtranormal as a tool to help aspies with social interaction?

IContainMultitudes

V.I.P Member
I recently discovered Xtranormal, a site that lets people quickly create little animations (the tagline for the site is "If you can type, you can make movies). It occured to me that something like this might somehow be a useful "workshop" for aspies/autists to better understand social interaction (of course, you might need a more sophisticated software package for that; probably something that was able to model human facial expressions with a little more detail). Anyone else think so?

http://www.xtranormal.com/

The site got a little bit of exposure recently through intentionally cheap-looking Geico commercials made with Xtranormal:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQjPby366CA[/video]

It's particularly useful for creating social stories. I haven't used it, but I know some other clinicians who have. Does anyone else know what a social story is? I tried to explain it last night, and it didn't work very well, so I'll give an example of one I used this summer with a client of mine who had autism. (Side note, sometimes it feels very ironic that I (most likely) have an autism spectrum disorder and I am helping to treat children with autism. I kind of like it :) )

Anyway, this story was used to help a 5-year-old with autism express that he wanted something specific without having a meltdown:

"Sometimes, I go to see my speech teacher. I play games with her and we have fun. There are lots of toys in my speech room. Sometimes there is a toy that I really like to play with. That toy is not always in the room. That is okay. If there is a toy that I really want to play with, I can use my nice words to ask for it. I can say, "Miss krisi, can we please play with the space station today?" Miss krisi will do her best to put the toy I ask for on the schedule. Sometimes, she cannot get that toy for me on that day. That is okay. She will bring it to my next speech session. When I use my nice words to ask for the toys I want, I am happy because I will get to play with that toy this session or the next session."

Essentially, it's just a positive and reassuring script to give children the tools they need to communicate and participate with others. In this case, the little guy I was working with would just start to cry and tell me what he DIDN'T want to do--which meant that I really didn't know what WOULD make him happy. One day, he really wanted to play with the space station, but I didn't have that planned for the day. He got very upset and all he would say was "We will NOT pretend to be astronauts." Eventually, I found out that he didn't want to pretend to be astronauts because he really wanted to play with a space station toy that I had brought in during the previous session.

New Threads

Top Bottom