• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you use an autistics only Social media platform?

Would you join an autistics only Social network?

• Yes

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 17 28.3%

• Total voters
I dunno. I feel very overwhelmed by social media, but it's probably "by social media as we know it", so I suppose I would at least give it a try.

I dunno. I feel very overwhelmed by social media, but it's probably "by social media as we know it", so I suppose I would at least give it a try.

I agree!

I've been badly overload the last week, and every time I open LInkedin in I have to shut it again after 15 minutes - just too much.

Linkedin/Facebook and others have a "more is more" approach. I don't.

Twitter is not so bad, and Tumblr is a great design.

I'd have to use an off the shelf product as it costs a great deal to build from scratch.

No, autismforums.com is a forum platform. The site I'm talking about would be a social network.

The basic architecture is built around a central feed which people see updates out of based on interests and connections.

That's how Facebook works, and also twitter, and tumblr.

A social network is about personal connections more so than a forum.

The best way to think of this is as an interest specific Facebook, but with cleaner design.

Forums can be baked in to social networks, but are not the same.

As far as I know, nothing exists right now that is the same, otherwise I wouldn't be considering it..

I get your point, though a perceived difference between what constitutes a forum versus a social network can still have a common denominator of serving to improve the lives of autistic people through advancement and opportunities. That one can be apprised of such things on either platform. However that's not really my point- or my concern.

A social network intended for autistic people makes sense. However a social network exclusively by- and for autistic people does not IMO.

Simply put, the bulk of possibilities and real leads to aggrandize autistic people remain with Neurotypicals. The ratio of non-autistic people to autistic people is impossible to ignore in this instance. If you want to optimize such possibilities and leads you can't exclude those who mathematically are most likely to offer them in the first place. A reality we just can't run from.

Last edited:
I would use it, providing the other aspies were friendly, as much as this forum is good, it is a bit "clunky", especially in terms of private messaging / chat. :)

Does this mean you'd prefer for this website to be for autistics only? That's not meant to be in any way critical or hostile but wonder if I should be here.

You've every right to be here just like anyone else! I'm not just saying this either, I truly mean that :)

It's a good idea. I would join it, but whether I would use it or not regularly would depend on the general atmosphere of the forum, the kind of discussions on it and whether they interest me and are relevant to my life. If I were to use it, I would like to have a fair degree of control over its functions, what is made public, which notifications I receive, etc.

I'm on Facebook, but I only use if to look at music discussions or as an alternative to email to send a message to family or a friend. I rarely post on or update my profile other than to post the occasional Youtube video, and I rarely look at other people's profiles. I'm not interested in the slightest bit in pasting my life all over the internet as many people do on Facebook, I prefer to keep myself to myself and my personal life private.

I think it’s a great idea. I’m an amateur iPhone developer. I actually just made something similar, but it is for video call helping and not specifically for socializing purposes. I personally have a difficult time asking for help unless it’s through email, so I made an app where people can get help or give help through FaceTime video calling. I guess people can use it for socializing reasons if they want, and they can connect with someone without actually being in a live social situation.

The link is on my signature if anyone’s interested.

No, autismforums.com is a forum platform. The site I'm talking about would be a social network.

The basic architecture is built around a central feed which people see updates out of based on interests and connections.

That's how Facebook works, and also twitter, and tumblr.

A social network is about personal connections more so than a forum.

The best way to think of this is as an interest specific Facebook, but with cleaner design.

Forums can be baked in to social networks, but are not the same.

As far as I know, nothing exists right now that is the same, otherwise I wouldn't be considering it..
Even if there’s something similar, don’t get discouraged. Instagram, Facebook, Tinder, etc. aren’t really that original. It’s more like a remix. I remember I realized that when I was learning how to develop iPhone apps.

Facebook can be full of drama and bullying. I just came across Instagram video which displayed a joke played on an autistic girl. She was not laughing, yet the people who posted it thought it was funny. I spoke up and then some of them turned on me, saying some mean things to me. Thing about it is, we do have the power to report inappropriate language or posts that can be harmful others. When I realized that what they were doing to me, I reported it right away, then ceased the conversation with them. I have the power to block whoever tries to bully me or harass me.

I was diagnosed by a psychologist during my mid thirties with Asperger’s Syndrome a form of high functioning autism.

I would not as it gives me practice and patience to be on Facebook. I don't like the site because of all the 'me too's and the attempts to get you to respond to every damn post, but it gets me out there in the world.

Does this mean you'd prefer for this website to be for autistics only? That's not meant to be in any way critical or hostile but wonder if I should be here.
That's a good question but I believe the TOS state that this site is for both NT's and AT's. I could be wrong, it happens occasionally

The site in my mind was for autistics only, but I've not fully thought it through.
I'm very interested in this idea and would like to be part of your team should you choose to go forward. You mentioned that you would want both self-dxers and officialdx to have access, which I believe to be important due to the fact that the US still has not developed standards for recognizing girls and women with ASD.

I have a working name which is quite good, but I've not registered it yet as it's not that cheap.

We could do better

The reason I didn't throw it open before is the possibility of cyber squatters taking the domain name - that happen a lot.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them - I'll keep mine secret for now.

If you have an idea you can check the domain name here; Domain Names - Cheap Domain Names | Namecheap.Com

A great name is nothing without a great domain name for internet properties.

I would strongly recommend against checking the domain name unless you're prepared to purchase it on the spot. My experience has been that as soon as a domain name has been checked to see if it's open someone or an auto system purchases it then offers it for "sale" at a hugely inflated price.

How would you make sure it was "autistics only"? Would it just be aimed at them, or would there be some kind of screening process? What about people who were never officially diagnosed? Or those who "lost" their diagnosis? Exactly who determines who is autistic and who isn't?

How would you make sure it was "autistics only"? Would it just be aimed at them, or would there be some kind of screening process? What about people who were never officially diagnosed? Or those who "lost" their diagnosis? Exactly who determines who is autistic and who isn't?

I've been thinking about that, and I think it would be better, and easier to include NT allies.

I was just a bit concerned about NT neurology tourists joining up, but I guess it's no problem really..

Well those numbers look pretty good.

54% yes
27% don't know.

When doing market research one only needs to contact 18 people if memory serves, to get an 80% accuracy for a whole market.

The danger here is that the sample (you lot) is not truly representative of autistic we communicators, so I might see if I can figure out a way to canvas Facebook twitter and tumblr.

I'll need to find some influencers for that though.

New Threads

Top Bottom