• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work thoughts

mw2530

Well, I'm basically finished now with my 3 month busy season at work. It has been a rough 3 months and I'm not exactly sure how I got through some days and weeks. I do taxes and the work is endless and relentless for the last 3 months. It basically required a near singular focus on work. Anyway, it definitely isn't the most healthiest of times for me and forced me to push of trying to improve my personal life which is lacking in excitement and fulfillment. I have a few questions to pose to the rest of you and to get your thoughts. I am also interested in hearing all of your opinions considering that I have few friends to bounce things off of in real life.

Do you think aspies have grown accustom to a low quality of life that they seem to accept more poo (for a lack of a better word) than the majority of people? That we are so used to a low quality of life that we don't know any better. I think this is the case to a certain extent. In the last few weeks, a shareholder at our office said that I seem to get all the very difficult and crappy tax returns that no one else wants to do. Then just a few days ago my manager stated that he does not know how I did as many difficult returns as I did the past three months. And both of these individuals are probably some of the smartest people I know. Part of it is due to the fact that I have more experience than many others in the office so I get more difficult work. But the other part of it is my seemingly unrelenting desire to please others. I certainly feel that their comments are a compliment. But I also view it as additional proof to the thought that I get taken advantage of in real life time and time again. Due to limitations in certain areas, I always feel the need to make up for it in other areas. I am a poor communicator and there are certain parts of my job in which I need a lot of help or need to have someone do it for me. For instance, I can call a client if it is for a few specific items. But if it gets more conceptional or consists of many items, I really struggle and need someone else to assist. I essentially feel inferior to others due to my limitations which creates the need for me to go over and above in other areas (in my mind at least).

Also, there are a few other individuals that seem to be on the spectrum that I work with on occasion. One is fairly new and he seems to come to me with a lot of questions. I don't mind helping him at all and I actually enjoy it. He is a pleasure to work with, is a very hard worker and takes the work seriously. He is smart and has already moved on to some fairly difficult work. My point is that from the outside perspective I can see the many positives he brings. I see a few negatives, but mainly positives. Yet I struggle to see those positive attributes in myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think aspies have grown accustom to a low quality of life that they seem to accept more poo (for a lack of a better word) than the majority of people?
Generally speaking, yes, because in the workplace there are others who are more confident and assertive, who generally say 'no', so the work gets passed on to the 'nice guy' who says yes to most things, who wants to please and help people, and then this person gets used as the office doormat. Also, when people are in teams or groups, they tend to take on a wolf pack mentality where they rally round and listen to the dominant personality in the group, they generally try to please that person to move up the ranks of status and popularity and that's how they measure success at work. A less assertive colleague will generally be pushed aside and not be respected as much.

In my work experience I've always had the respect of my co-workers and gotten to do good things. A couple yrs. ago I got to update a company's inventory system which was neat.

New Threads

Top Bottom