• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

windows defender offline and resetting system not works

Shaddock

V.I.P Member
not sure if anyone can help, but there are other questions and even a subforum, so why not...

the "problem" is that this laptop can´t be resetted and windows defender offline not works. this is not severe, because I not inevitable need this to use the PC, but it would be still great when it would work and also it makes me curious why it not works.

I tried all the tips from the internet. also DISM, chkdsk and the SFC command, to check if system files and the SSD is alright and had no errors.

the reason why I mention both - very different things - is because in both cases the same problem occurs. when I start both things, the system reboots and fails to start the process. my display gets bright blue and then it shuts off again, reboots again (without doing anything, besides just normal rebooting the system).

I also have no virus or similar.

First and foremost, have you booted up Windows without doing any keystrokes for say at least two minutes?

I know on my system that if I try to begin computing before all my startup programs have been executed, that it indefinitely interrupts the security protocols where neither Windows Defender or my Antivirus/Malware program of choice is automatically launched. Where instead of a checkmark in the security section, I see a revolving icon showing that these critical programs have not yet launched.

The thing to consider is to limit the number of startup programs at the outset. Something you can do in either the task manager or more effectively, using the system configuration tool "msconfig". Too many startup functions seem to inhibit Windows Defender from carrying out it's most basic functions and have for some time now.

So I do two things:

1) Limit those programs in startup
2) Perhaps more importantly, not to begin in any keystrokes in Windows until all those startup programs are actually loaded. When your cursor icon stops changing its appearance moments after your system boots up.

In running a competitor antivirus/malware program, I don't know whether to laugh or cry in terms of Microsoft's aggressive pursuit to sabotage competitors. Even at the expense of security within their own operating system.

This shouldn't be happening. But it does.... :rolleyes:

Probably why I'm posting this using Linux- not Windows. Enough was enough with Microsoft after all these years.

Last edited:
Linux will just drive you a different type of mad. It STILL cannot do scaling on high dpi displays right and at this rate it most likely never will.

Linux will just drive you a different type of mad. It STILL cannot do scaling on high dpi displays right and at this rate it most likely never will.
Printing much of anything for me is confined to a space no more than 8.5x11 inches. Where little more than 300 DPI is required viewed at 1920x1080 resolution. Not a problem for me. Though I have heard of issues with those using much higher default resolutions, apart from printing much larger images.

Sound has always been the most prominent issue in installing multiple Linux distros. Where they all seem to be allergic to Realtek sound drivers for Intel High Definition Audio. Plus I had to reconfigure my audio jack just to get initial sound using alsa utilities. Though I've overcome all the issues with various hacks I found online.

But then presently Linux simply isn't for just anyone. That you have to do some work to get it just right. With the Arch-based distros I never really got them to install sufficiently to pursue developing their OS. Depending on your hardware, in many cases it won't run optimally right out of the box. That much is true.

Right now my biggest frustration with Linux Mint 21.0 is that it won't acknoweldge my HP USB inkjet printer. Yet it will wirelessly. Meanwhile Linux Mint 20.3 runs both without incident. Yet both operating systems have no problem with my HP laser printer wirelessly or by USB. Go figure. But at this point I still prefer such things to being a slave to Microsoft in comparison.

Last edited:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry in terms of Microsoft's aggressive pursuit to sabotage competitors.

The whole thing is kinda pathetic, isnt it?

Like, I could sorta understand their competitiveness... IF the stuff THEY made was actually worth anything. But as always, the stuff that comes bundled with Windows is bloody terrible. The first thing most users will want to do is replace basically everything. Very first things I did on my machine was to grab Norton, Chrome (though I'll replace that with Firefox later), VLC, and a big blob of utilities, usually meant to be there for the inevitable moments where Windows does something bloody stupid. None of those products are perfect, but they're leagues better than what comes with Windows. And it's amazing, just what kinds of dumb Windows comes up with sometimes.

Though I gotta say, this bit with Defender acting up is new to me... I've never heard of the thing doing something like that. Usually it's just sorta... there.

Windows defender is about as useless as Edge, IMO. If you have any serious virus concerns, try using something free like MWB to double-check. Most of the time, I get misses with WD and it also blocks everything I'm actually trying to install and run. Super helpful, Michaelsoft!

Also, it's really hard to diagnose PC issues that I'm not in front of, but don't rule out corrupt sectors if the HDD is old, video issues (you said the screen was going blue before rebooting, but I didn't catch whether that was a legit BSOD or not) or possibly corrupt OS files. Try a repair for starters if you can and see what happens.

All the best things in life are free.

I've found this to be mostly true in the software world.
I've been on both sides of this fence, as a consumer and as a shareholder.

Knowing full well that corporations like Microsoft only react in the event of a potential loss or gain of profit. With all eyes keenly focused on how they perceive their shareholders to react. A major reason for a gap between when a flaw is discovered, and when the appropriate patch is developed and distributed. Translating into an update that may take days or weeks to implement. And perhaps worst of all, a never-ending proprietary mentality focused first and foremost on financial gain at the expense of their competitors- and at times even their own customers.

Linux on the other hand operates on a very different premise. Where it's normal to see various and non-centralized updates coming between six and seven days a week. With individual software components updated by different developers as opposed to a single corporate behemoth so sensitive to the moods on Wall Street.

Differences which at times make massive corporations like Microsoft seem like budding amateurs in comparison. Those focused not on "making a better mousetrap", but rather only marketing their mediocre mousetrap better.

Linux distros certainly aren't perfect, but the intention behind their development is far more optimistic than the pragmatism of people all focused only on pandering to their shareholders and chasing the almighty dollar on a 24/7 basis. Something even Apple is equally guilty of these days.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom