• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wife of man seeking autism diagnosis

Hi..
My husband of 15years is seeking diagnosis. He is 51 years old and says he has always known that "something wasn't quite right"
He never did anything about it until I told him he should.
I love the very bones of this man but life has been very challenging.
I recently started researching autism and some of the symptoms made his behaviour make sense..I hope this is allowed on this site.. I would love to talk to other people as I do not have a family to turn to..thank you for accepting my application
I know the feeling your husband talks about. I have talked to mental health professionals occasionally, but it's a tricky thing. Having difficulties in expressing "what's not right" doesn't help. Psychologists mostly want to start CBT (talk therapy) and psychiatrists prescribe you antidepressants and antipsychotics. They do this because in most cases they don't have a clue "what's not right" and try to address the most common problems.
ASD in adults is hard to diagnose, and there are only few professionals who are actually prepared to do it. It's still regarded as "kids only" condition.

In my case diagnosis came through circumstances. I wanted to talk to a therapist, and as it was during covid, it was an online meeting. I just wanted to know one or three specific, but basic things so I didn't really care about the speciality of the professional. Turns out he was a counselor at a local private school who also did online therapy sessions for private patients during the pandemic (higher demand). His main job was dealing with kids aged PK-12 and of course he had experience with ASD testing and diagnoses and therapy. One day he said he wanted to meet me in person, and asked me if I ever was tested for ASD. I met with him, and then he suggested I do the test. He didn't want to do it himself because he wanted someone else to "get an impression". After second and third thoughts I did. Lo' and behold - the result said I was on the spectrum: Asperger's. The first therapist suggested I talk to a pediatric neurologist. I did, but he wanted to see.menin person which wasn't possible for me - face masks drive me crazy and I can't "see" people wearing them. So I still haven't seen him.
but I talked to a psychiatrist, who.again insisted on doing the test with me. Got the same result. He said there was nothing he could for.me, as I didn't seem to have any comorbidity (like ADHD or OTC or whatever). Just prescribed me anxiolytics to be taken when needed.
I still have to see the neirologist, but I'm pretty done getting a diagnosis as to why I feel "not right".

If your hubby wants, I suggest you find a pediatric psychologist (not psychiatrist, they usually don't do ASD in itself) or a pediatric neurologist who is okay with having an adult patient. They are trained to detect ASD symptoms, and may be able to detect them in adults who have learned to mask.

Mrs. Mac, this feels like a bit of an intrusive question, so please don’t feel obliged to answer. I’m curious if you have read deeply into the posts here? Are you seeing the struggles, habits, and strength of your husband reflected here? Does he read our posts at all… Would he be interested in doing so?

Just curious, this is not the grand inquisition, and like I said please feel no pressure to provide any answers here.

There is no need for regret. I was just giving you some information that I thought would be helpful to you as you navigate this new site for you. It is just a time saver to not reply to every quote.

New Threads

Top Bottom