• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why don't I make enough?

Stik

A while back I talked about how I was about to lose it because I had too many jobs. I've made the decision to go back down to one before I went crazy, plus making a little off crafting. I finally feel like I get time to recharge before having to go out into society almost every day. I love my job as a Special Ed paraprofessional (teacher's assistant). It's very rewarding and I feel like I help point out things that most people don't see.

Here's the problem ... I barely make anything doing this and I'm really struggling with money. It's considered a full time job, but I do get a lot of time off and it really helps me recharge. Fortunately the benefits are great. What I want to know is why is it so hard to live off what I make? By the time I get my bills paid I only have barely anything left for food, gas and other necessities. I live paycheck to paycheck and am never able to save money.

This is mostly a rant but if anyone has any ideas that could help me, please share!

Too many jobs ... How do I cope? | AspiesCentral.com

Last edited:
So you work with like a school district, i would assume? What about getting a summer job when school isn't in session? Then its not as in the way as a second job would be. Idk how much more you'd make just doing that but it an idea...also, again if you work with a school district you could consider teaching summer school as well. Just another idea. You said paraprofessor/teachers aid...are you still in school or do you have to do that before becoming a regular teacher? Eitherways, I would suggest working towards moving up in the food chain and becoming a full on, regular special ed teacher. Regular teachers make more than their assistants would, i assume. Same environment, more money, maybe? Sorry i'm just spouting off ideas as they come to me. =/ Not sure how much help any of it is, i don't recall reading this other post about a second job you are referring to....

Thanks for the input. I added a link to the post I was referring to. In the summer I do summer school too and that check really helps, but it doesn't last long. I honestly feel I need all the time I get off to make it through the year. I've thought about becoming a teacher but I feel assisting is better for me. The teachers make a detailed schedule for me and my coworkers that plans my whole day to the hour. Plus, teachers have to do more social interaction with NT's and have a ton of paper work. They also don't seem to have as much time to work with students one on one like me and my other coworkers get and that's my favorite part. When I'm in charge of more students I become overwhelmed and can only handle it for a little while. I really do have the perfect job. I hear Canada pays better than the U.S. but it's unlikely I'd move that far away from my parents again.

Oh! Another thing I love about my job is that the teachers know how creative I am and use those skills as well. I feel like I get to be more artsy with this job than the graphic design job I had.

Thanks again for the reply.

It is very hard. I tell you how my life unfold. Age 15 place in a foster home and age 17 I live on my own. Now, foster care paid for my place until I finish college at age 21. However, after that point I'm on my own. I had trouble keeping a job so many times I been unemployment or welfare. As that not enough money, sometimes I use my credit card to cover the difference. Then debt get out of control. I started owning $5000, $10,000 and 5 years ago now in $25,000 of debt. It was a point I was suppose to be bankrupt. I'm lucky I got a full time job so I can start paying off debt.

However, after 2 1/2 years, I got let go. Had trouble finding work again and get into more debt. This happens to many people in life. Now, I got accepted in a business program that I get a living allowence. But I still need to get loans for investments for my business. More debt again. Then I need to find clients which is a working progress. If my business fails, I could be homeless. If not, then I will be bankrupt. I been fighting over the years to prevent it.

I hear Canada pays better than the U.S.
Well minimum wage is higher in Canada. It starts from $10.50 depending on what province the person in. However, our taxes is a lot higher. Most provinces the average sales tax is 13%. Alberta is the only province have sales tax of 5%. Also note most items cost more than the States.

As that not enough money, sometimes I use my credit card to cover the difference.

I do this as well. It only makes things worse but what else do you do? I'm sorry you've had such a struggle. I hope everything works out for you.

Wow, thanks for that article. I had no idea it was that bad. Makes me like it here even less.

I do this as well. It only makes things worse but what else do you do? I'm sorry you've had such a struggle. I hope everything works out for you.
Thanks I hope so for you too.

Things are slowly getting better. Mainly people supports my business and giving me endless free resources. I never asked for anything. They just believe in my business idea developing web and mobile apps for the tourism industry. I find traditional employment complex. It hard to get a good paying job. At the same time, not everyone have the skills to run a successful business.

Become the budget master! Scale back on electricity and water used, find some good discount stores to shop at for food and necessities, and generally cut back on anything not needed. I swear by Save-a-Lot, dollar stores, and thrift stores. Especially since Dollar General often has a $5 off coupon on certain Saturdays if you buy $25-$35 worth of stuff pre-tax. $5 of free shampoo is $5 of shampoo you don't have to buy later! =)
It won't make you rich, but you can get by much more easily on income that looks impossible to other people. We also live paycheck-to-paycheck. We count on our income tax refund to take care if any big necessities, like debts, or replacing worn-out furniture. And my windshield that's been had a huge spider crack in it for seven years that I'll finally get to replace.

Along with Ashe's tricks, learn how to make a lot of your own stuff, like laundry detergent. You can buy in bulk the constituent ingredients, then use them for all sorts of cleaning purposes, saving you quite a bit of money.

You can save on the heating bill by keeping the temperature lower and wearing a sweater.

When you replace light bulbs, go with the LED ones if you can. They're comparable price now, and they save money in the long run, because they use very little electricity and last forever. This is especially useful if you have a large light that you use a lot.

This is a great idea - I actually have a lot of trouble with 'standard' cleaning products and started making my own years ago - it is soooo much cheaper- and healthier too.

Also you mentioned you are creative and artsy - do you have a hobby you enjoy doing? If you do you might consider 'coaching' or teaching others about that hobby through the local community education. I do this and generally make about $100 per class - if you teach 3 or 4 classes a year that can add up.

Another thought is tutoring kids - a lot of kids need extra help and as a teachers assistant you may be able to provide that little bit of extra they need for only and hour or 2 a week.

Good Luck.

This is a great idea - I actually have a lot of trouble with 'standard' cleaning products and started making my own years ago - it is soooo much cheaper- and healthier too.

Also you mentioned you are creative and artsy - do you have a hobby you enjoy doing? If you do you might consider 'coaching' or teaching others about that hobby through the local community education. I do this and generally make about $100 per class - if you teach 3 or 4 classes a year that can add up.

Another thought is tutoring kids - a lot of kids need extra help and as a teachers assistant you may be able to provide that little bit of extra they need for only and hour or 2 a week.

Good Luck.

Thanks. I do use really basic cleaners and some I make myself because I react so badly to most that are out there. I was going to do community ed but I think I started out thinking I can do a lot more than I can and got overwhelmed and gave up. Maybe I should start with one class and see how that goes. I've never really thought of tutoring, I should look into that. :)

A while back I talked about how I was about to lose it because I had too many jobs. I've made the decision to go back down to one before I went crazy, plus making a little off crafting. I finally feel like I get time to recharge before having to go out into society almost every day. I love my job as a Special Ed paraprofessional (teacher's assistant). It's very rewarding and I feel like I help point out things that most people don't see.

Here's the problem ... I barely make anything doing this and I'm really struggling with money. It's considered a full time job, but I do get a lot of time off and it really helps me recharge. Fortunately the benefits are great. What I want to know is why is it so hard to live off what I make? By the time I get my bills paid I only have barely anything left for food, gas and other necessities. I live paycheck to paycheck and am never able to save money.

This is mostly a rant but if anyone has any ideas that could help me, please share!

Too many jobs ... How do I cope? | AspiesCentral.com

If you want to live off what you make you have to adjust spending to match it accordingly, or work more to make more. Teacher's assistant does not sound like a high paying job, since teacher is not one to begin with. But you said it has good benefits, which factor into what you make having it. Cut things like smoking or alcohol, they are expensive and bad for you. Cell phones are also notorious wastes of money if you are not made of it. Write down what you make, and everything you spend money on every month, then look at how much of a chunk of what you make goes to what, and see where you can cut back and save on something you do not need as much as you would like to save that money.

Stik, Although this seems so obvious, it is pretty practical advice (along with some great tips you received from others above) .... you need to come up with ways to increase your income - working within the constraints you outlined, because your quality of life & maintaining a healthy personal balance is critical; & find ways to decrease your expenses.

BUDGET & start tracking your spending very carefully. You may need to make some hard choices & sacrifices. As Judge mentioned (from the Pew study & others), a majority of people live paycheck to paycheck & seem to never get ahead. The truth is though that most people have very minimal knowledge of personal finances, & also make poor financial & life style choices. Some others have a better knowledge base but choose to make poor choices, sometimes easier choices, or simply live beyond their means anyway.

If you truly want to improve your financial situation - & it's an extremely worthwhile goal. I'm sure you'll look back someday & be glad you took the time & made the effort. - look into the following personal financial authors & their websites. It'll be a good place to start for tangible ideas, budget templates, & motivation.

Their focus is not how to invest as that would come later, after you cross this bridge, but how to get started creating & adhering to a budget, living within one's means, eliminating debt, when to borrow & how much, or when not to borrow, making good financial & career decisions, how to get started saving an emergency fund etc... It is not all about how much one makes, but how much one spends. Of course it is easier to get by making more money, but someone with a huge income can certainly find a way to easily spend every penny. So again, in the end it does come down to spending.

Dave Ramsey - excellent all around!
Gail Vaz Oxlade - check out her "cash jar" method
Clark Howard - great 'how to' ideas for saving money on expenditures, finding deals, cutting expenses etc... for example, he recommends rinsing & drying off a store bought razor in order to use only 2 per year!

Here's an interesting & educational book on the subject, "The Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas Stanley & William Danko. (They also have follow-up books.)

I'm betting you'll do very well. :)

Well minimum wage is higher in Canada. It starts from $10.50 depending on what province the person in. However, our taxes is a lot higher. Most provinces the average sales tax is 13%. Alberta is the only province have sales tax of 5%. Also note most items cost more than the States.
In addition, aren't Canadian dollars worth less than American dollars? So $10.50 in Canadian dollars is not as much as $10.50 in American dollars would be. Actually, that fits right in with things costing more in Canada.

In addition, aren't Canadian dollars worth less than American dollars? So $10.50 in Canadian dollars is not as much as $10.50 in American dollars would be. Actually, that fits right in with things costing more in Canada.
Yes but you can't go by currency. I mean it was not long ago Canadian dollar was worth more. It always been in history the dollar goes up and down. So comparing wages to country does not always work as there so many variables to consider.

New Threads

Top Bottom