• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do so many aspies have an intense hatred for sports (excepting martial arts and brainy games)?

ufc is awesome, lookup john howard, he has autism and made it all the way to the ufc

wrestling makes you respect people, playing (most) team sports is for softies except football, rugby etc

The awkwardness of autistic boxers/kickboxers confuse opponents

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lot of not too great experiences in regards to PE and sports. Like a lot of auties, I have poor coordination and move slowly. Always was the last to finish a lap, found all the stretching to be uncomfortable and felt wobbly doing the exercises (like I was gonna lose my balance). The team sports were even worse. No one ever passed a ball to me, I could never figure out a way to join in the game, and I was probably the easiest target in dodgeball due to my slow movement.

I do admit that I am not a fan of sports,as others have mentioned here about coordination i am what some may call a complete klutz and it definitely was a issue when I played sport at school,I use to hate sporting days and how people use to yell and act about it,even now I still don’t like it and I don’t really enjoy watching it on tv or going to see a sporting match,unfortunately I’m from Australia and it’s one of the most sports crazy countries in the world so being someone who dislikes sports makes you stand out more,I even had a girl at school once tell me if I don’t like sports then I am a no hoper,but i just don’t find it exciting or entertaining though my husband who is NT loves supercross and American basketball.

I was once shunned at work for a whole day for the crime of saying that if my children didn't like sports, I would not force them into it.

If Australia is sports-mad, the United States is a close second.

In my case, I have no problem letting people enjoy sport, whether as spectator or participant. It's the attitude that YOU MUST LOVE IT LIKE I DO OR YOU ARE SCUM that I object to. Strenuously.

Question: does anyone else hate getting sweaty or wet in general? I generally hate being sticky but I also hate showering, which is one of the reasons I stoped liking more intense sports, that make you sweat a lot (like running).

Question: does anyone else hate getting sweaty or wet in general? I generally hate being sticky but I also hate showering, which is one of the reasons I stoped liking more intense sports, that make you sweat a lot (like running).

I hate Showers, would much rather have a Bath.

I've also trained in Martial Arts since I was 14 (so nearly 28 years), despite being disabled, and I love to put the effort in where I work up a sweat (not too much though, that would make my hearing aid go wrong!)

Really interesting thread. Perhaps because martial arts are also mental challenges and about learning something regimented, step by step? I have always hated doing sport - feels uncomfortable physically, I would never have fitted into a team, was always picked last, and just can't get excited about city teams - it fascinates me the way people have these fierce loyalties and join in the mass armchair participation - I do envy them that way 'in' to social acceptance/group enjoyment.

That said, in my mid-40s I finally noticed I've got great hand/eye coordination and I don't mind squash but only because it feels like problem solving rather than exercise. Hated high school PE classes and the competitive BS, the popular kids always favoured by the teachers. I used to cut PE class as much as possible without failing.

Only bit of relief on that front was in my senior year when PE was taught by 2 'mature' ladies, who allowed us to walk around the track at our own pace all period. Bliss! My own space, my own pace, supportive teachers and no pressure. Still like walking... if I can be bothered :).

I really dislike team sports too. I'm much more interested in solo activities like cycling or kiting. I find that some team sports tend to foster impatience and a sense of frustration. There's also a kind of destructive competitiveness with them. I was always the last one picked during school sports. A lot of bullies seemed to enjoy team sports during school.

To get the ball rolling in my reply, i have to apologize for that terrible joke.

I don't like team sports, or martial arts: team sports instill a mean, hard-wired mentality amongst people; I abhor most of the coaches, thinking them sort of like predators. From my experience, the martial arts are either too martial or they seem to try to cater to people who don't fit in with team sports, almost making fun of them.

I played football in high school, and hate the very mention of the game now, though I don't necessarily hate the players. They're usually dumb jocks for sure, but some had good hearts.

I was the laughing stock of baseball, and my family insisted I play in little league for several years. I got one hit in those four years.

I'm shockingly (to me, given my inability to play other sports) adept at table tennis and badminton, but I can't do horseshoes or pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey very well.

I was actually very strong and athletic during my younger years. I used to enjoy playing pickup games of tackle football or basketball in our neighborhood. I was a beast on the football field, but when it came to playing on a real team with rules I was lost.

I wasn't able to learn or understand the rules or follow directions. The same when I joined a volunteer fire department. I wasn't good at communicating and working as a team.

I don't enjoy watching sports now. I just don't understand all the rules and plays. Another thing is that as an aspie with an obsessive personality, if I pick up an interest then it becomes an obsession and I have to be into it full blast. I can't just get into something half way. It's all or nothing. I do have a NASCAR racing obsession, but I can only handle one obsession. My brain can't study everything about NASCAR AND another sport. It would fry my brain.

At school, if a team game was compulsory during P.E, I would usually be the last person. By that I mean, in netball I was goal shooter (G.S) didn't run around interacting with everyone, people brought the ball to me, I scored the goal.

Hockey, I was defence. Again, usually the last person to stop the ball.

Rounders, deep fielder, didn't have anyone near me to myther me so could get on with the task in hand.

Other than that I generally engaged in singular activities competing against other singles, Aikido, rock climbing, abseiling, golf, hurdles, badminton, javelin, sprint, gymnastics and so on.

With the Marshal arts, (Aikido) I loved the fact that things didn't change. One movement had one name and one purpose and was exacting. I could combine many movements in a sequence but the action/procedure stayed the same for each different move.

I dislike team sports, to much reliance on other peoples skill, and others people reliance on my skill. if I do bad, it affects everyone. Single person sports are a huge part of my life though. skiing and mountain biking, are the two halfs to my life. maybe it is the adrenaline. or the joy of being outside. being able to push against as only myself, with no outside factors

coming up as a reason for my fault, it is only me.
I have to agree with most of you on the competitive mentality. i think of others as a menssure ent for my skill. I can messure your up my own skills against him, seeing were i need improvment, and were I succede.

skating, skiing, mountain biking, and gymnastics. they are all about moving your body in a certain way. everything except gymansitcs is about moving over the ground both diffrent snd faster than walking. it feels like upgrading my body. i have to think, and learn about how i move each joint, and where to lean my body in order to manioulat my tools to move and turn, and beak as fast as possible. Sports are both a thinking game, and being able to move your body the way you want it.

you will never feel any thing like the rush of skiing down a mountain faster than a car on a highway. There is nothing like a adrenaline rush.

I do hate Football, but mainly because it attracts morons, like every time Leeds United come down to play Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough, there's ALWAYS trouble between rival fans, because for some bizarre reason Owls fans have a deep rooted hatred of all things Leeds, including BBC Look North, which is produced in Leeds.

Also, most of the big "Stars" of UK Football get paid far too much IMO, I mean come on, £20,000 a week to kick a plastic ball round a field for an hour and half every Saturday for about 6 to 9 months a year? Eh?

Haha this made me laugh Rich! I often go to Sheffield Wednesday games as one of my best friends (NT) is a Wednesday fan. The other NT friends support Barnsley and Everton and I support Scarborough.

I must be an exception too as my 'special interest' (hate using that term for will for the benefit of proving my point) is football and always has been. I'm obsessed and rarely think about anything else but you are spot on. Football attracts morons. They are everywhere and I've been all over the country watching football and some of the things I've seen and heard you would not believe.

The morons are partly the reason I have changed teams and dropped into non league obscurity with Scarborough as down at that level it's a tenner to get in, everyone is really friendly, they don't all look like chavs with stone island jackets, white trainers and burberry caps and chant vile things at passing females. I couldn't ever give up football so I had to eventually reconsider giving up supporting a bigger more mainstream club because it just got too much for me.

The beer culture, the aggression, the sick chanting, the appalling behaviour of large groups of people, the 'you looking at me?' attitude, the tense feeling of agitation around the ground. It is all so unnecessary, so pathetic and so unpredictable and I struggled.

I went to the Derby v Nottingham Forest match last year and when I saw bus loads of Forest fans being driven past the ground with grown men hanging out of windows shouting stuff at passers by, banging on windows like caged prisoners and just looking like they were all on a huge stag party I just took one look at my mate and we went home. Didn't even go to the game. Not been to a league game anywhere since.

The tribalism is embarrassing and honestly, when I saw those buses going past I struggled to believe that humans had ever evolved.

You mention the money that footballers get too which I agree is insane. You can pay around £35 to get in at Hillsborough to watch a game that won't be that much better in quality than if you paid £10 and watched Scarborough Athletic v Goole Town in the Evo Stik north division 1.

Admittedly in better surroundings but when you consider that the Sheffield Wednesday player 'earns' around £60k a week and the Scarborough player earns around £500 to a thousand pounds then is the entertainment you get from paying £25 more a ticket really that much better?

I just think that a large proportion of football fans in the UK are stupid because they aren't open minded and are blinded by this tribalism and ridiculous loyalty thing. If Sheffield Wednesday charged £100 a game then there would be people who would still pay it.

I love football, it's my life but it's not been easy sailing with the HFA as I hate many of the things associated with the game.

It will always remain the beautiful game to me but nowadays run by, played by and mainly supported by not so beautiful people.

Haha this made me laugh Rich! I often go to Sheffield Wednesday games as one of my best friends (NT) is a Wednesday fan. The other NT friends support Barnsley and Everton and I support Scarborough.

I must be an exception too as my 'special interest' (hate using that term for will for the benefit of proving my point) is football and always has been. I'm obsessed and rarely think about anything else but you are spot on. Football attracts morons. They are everywhere and I've been all over the country watching football and some of the things I've seen and heard you would not believe.

The morons are partly the reason I have changed teams and dropped into non league obscurity with Scarborough as down at that level it's a tenner to get in, everyone is really friendly, they don't all look like chavs with stone island jackets, white trainers and burberry caps and chant vile things at passing females. I couldn't ever give up football so I had to eventually reconsider giving up supporting a bigger more mainstream club because it just got too much for me.

The beer culture, the aggression, the sick chanting, the appalling behaviour of large groups of people, the 'you looking at me?' attitude, the tense feeling of agitation around the ground. It is all so unnecessary, so pathetic and so unpredictable and I struggled.

I went to the Derby v Nottingham Forest match last year and when I saw bus loads of Forest fans being driven past the ground with grown men hanging out of windows shouting stuff at passers by, banging on windows like caged prisoners and just looking like they were all on a huge stag party I just took one look at my mate and we went home. Didn't even go to the game. Not been to a league game anywhere since.

The tribalism is embarrassing and honestly, when I saw those buses going past I struggled to believe that humans had ever evolved.

You mention the money that footballers get too which I agree is insane. You can pay around £35 to get in at Hillsborough to watch a game that won't be that much better in quality than if you paid £10 and watched Scarborough Athletic v Goole Town in the Evo Stik north division 1.

Admittedly in better surroundings but when you consider that the Sheffield Wednesday player 'earns' around £60k a week and the Scarborough player earns around £500 to a thousand pounds then is the entertainment you get from paying £25 more a ticket really that much better?

I just think that a large proportion of football fans in the UK are stupid because they aren't open minded and are blinded by this tribalism and ridiculous loyalty thing. If Sheffield Wednesday charged £100 a game then there would be people who would still pay it.

I love football, it's my life but it's not been easy sailing with the HFA as I hate many of the things associated with the game.

It will always remain the beautiful game to me but nowadays run by, played by and mainly supported by not so beautiful people.
Yes, football (soccer for those living in the USA) does attract "morons" and it manifests their primitive tribal instinct which takes them over, it never used to be like this many years ago however. My late grandad was always a Birmingham City (AKA. Blues) fan since he was a child and as a very young child he even took me to a few games (I found it boring however lol). When he was young they never segregated home and away fans because there wasn't any need, rival fans used to have friendly debates with each other, but that was all, there was never any trouble. Imagine mixing home and away fans today! As my grandad grew up he saw how football in the UK changed for the worse, how home and away fans started having to be segregated and how it all went downhill after that. He hated the trouble, but he still went because he enjoyed watching the game so much and didn't want to give in to it. When he was a pensioner however he went to a match and had his car windows put through by hooligans, he had it repaired and a few weeks later exactly the same thing happened again. Enough was enough and he realised that at his age he just couldn't cope any more with the violence. This is a very sad story because it shows how the trouble at football matches is preventing many true supporters and fans from attending the games, then what happens? Well often true supporters are replaced by more "morons" and the problem gets even worse.

Birmingham City (The Blues) hate Aston Villa (The Villa) even though they're both based in Birmingham. Local derbies have to be extra heavily policed and there is still trouble every time they play each-other because often fighting breaks out away from the ground. What's even worse is to some extent movies like Green Street have a certain level of truth, for instance The Blues have a strong "firm" or "army" called The Zulus who are particularly feared in Birmingham. To me this is pathetic, but it still goes on and people are for some reason proud to become a part of it.

Now people, watch this and tell me that football doesn't attract "morons" as @Rich Allen stated earlier:

This video wrongfully makes it look kind of appealing, but it's very wrong and it sickens me that this is my home town in Birmingham UK, these are so called Birmingham City "fans" and some may be part of The Zulus, but it also happens all over the UK. Now you can see why my grandad and many other true supporters had enough going to Birmingham City matches. Also would you take your children to such a game? Well football clubs are always doing their best trying to encourage families to take their children as they constantly need new blood, okay they have family stands, but the children still often see the violence and outside the ground there are sometimes incidents too.

Here is a list of some of the better known football hooligan firms so people can see how widespread and organised this violence has become:

List of hooligan firms - Wikipedia

Unfortunately any true supporters who don't cause trouble are often tarred with the same brush when they say they love football, not every football fan is like this, but many people including autistic people will stay away because they don't want to be associated, plus autistic people more often hate noise, lots of people and especially hate violence.

PS: For a short eye opening documentary about The Zulus from someone on the inside, please click here, again it's pro-violence and viewers are advised discretion, in fact this is more like a recruitment film and it even promotes equal racial rights as part of the recruitment campaign to make them sound more appealing. It's obviously all wrong!

Last edited:
tumblr_nm0aps5QZP1urab8mo1_500.jpg

Your Local Sports Team
Is Inferior To
My Local Sports Team

Last edited:
Hatred is too harsh of a word for me about my feelings for sports. I am usually indifferent towards sports, but sometimes I may harbor some ill feelings regarding them since my coordination issues make it harder for me to do well in them and it brings back some not-so-pleasant memories of being mocked in P.E. class for my poor athletic skills.

I just plain dislike fighting and competition. If it were up to me we would all just get along. In addition to being clumsy, many aspies have physical health issues that simply prohibit being good at sports. So we use our brains instead of brunt. I can play music, work in small spaces, do intricate things with my hands. I enjoy hiking and biking, but at my own time, zero competition or control from anybody. I also go when there are few people. Watching sports is often noisy and irritating especially when people jump off the couch and quickly yell to the top of the their lungs. Basketball is the worst, the drone, the squeaks, I can practically smell the sweaty locker room smell coming through the TV. With sports everybody follows the same rules and mold. I prefer to be innovative, free thinking, or at least learn something. Same reason I can't stand sitcoms about "nothing". I'll choose a documentary every time. Or psychological thriller. Something that actually makes me think.

I used to hate Rounders (the English version of Baseball) because I can't catch or hit a ball to save my life, and I got bullied for it :(

In fact I hated PE in general back in my school days, except back in juniors when we used "Apparatus" such as climbing frames, and even then I wasn't very good.

Last edited:
I like being out in nature, walking and (biking when I was young.) I did weight lifting, but not sports. Team sports are especially distasteful to me since it makes me think of herds of animals. I don't want to be in a herd. I refused to go to pep rallies when I was in High School. I got in trouble when they found I was hiding in the bathroom during them. I don't understand the whole "root for our team" mentality.

Last edited:
I don't dislike sports (not a fan of watching, bar the odd game of rugby) but I'm no good at most things. I'm ok at long distance running, which doesn't require much skill or coordination other than not tripping over things. I can do yoga or biking, but nothing competitive.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom