• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who here had a bad professional experience and now has hard time finding a job?

One time after interviewing several people for a job my boss and I had settled on two applicants but we couldn't decide between them. We had a few beers about it and I suggested we write out a list of their different pros and cons.

When it was put down on paper the difference between the two was chalk and cheese and there really was only one viable candidate.
Interesting, the stuff I read about interviews being far less useful than is believed, actually suggested exactly that method! Put it down on paper - pros and cons, or however is best, but basically, it helps cut out the unconscious mind, and maintains some objectivity and rationality!
Same idea as people recommend for making many decisions of all sorts - write down the important aspects. Then look again at what's sitting there -screaming at you! This is the one! :)

On my 1st placement I didn't receive a letter of recommendation because it was only an internship and I quit after several weeks, it was not a good place to be. But they straight out phoned them after job interview and 1st institution did calumny against me. They made me feel like a criminal.

I completely agree a letter of recommendation is no more than subjective opinion! It would be good if we'd give up that concept as it can be very damaging.
Well certainly in the UK it's now mostly not considered acceptable to either ask for, or give out any kind of subject opinion at all! Not because of any moral aspect, but simply that it was costing firms too much in compensation and loss of reputation to not stop this! Same old thing - right decision for the wrong reasons! But still, an improvement.
Frankly, if anyone looks at this with any sense, it's surely not hard to see how untrustworthy a personal opinion can be? By definition it's almost certainly of one person, how are they qualified to do that? What was their relationship to you? And all these contentious questions. Actually, another change in the UK regards references, is now most requests (in larger companies at least) will usually go via HR only, many companies ban managers from giving a reference themselves for one of their team, they have to pass any request on to HR to fulfil.

I had a bad experience working factory - just when things seemed like they might be o.k., they put me on 12 hour days every day of the week. I made it through 12 before I either "got sick" or physically collapsed - maybe a bit of both. It was like I had a mild head cold but I had to sleep for 8 days to begin to get back to normal energy levels. I didn't follow the "call in" protocol because talking is a high energy event for me and I had no energy. That was what drove me to look for help with Aspergers. I need to be able to hold up my hand and say "Hey I'm an Aspie and I can't communicate properly." and someone will say "Understood, input these forms and email me when you're done." Something like that.

It can happen for you. I won't bore you with my whole story, but I (an big city big firm attorney) was flat on my back at age 50, having lost everything - my marriage, my family, my job, my savings, my home. My undiagnosed autism was a factor but hardly the only one. I spent years as an in-home aid for an elderly man with dementia and, when he died, stacking groceries at Walmart. I never gave up on lawyering, and I happened to be in the right place at the right time, and now my practice in a new city is healthy and prosperous again as am I. Keep working at it.

It's been now 10 months that I been out of job, I got about a decade (10 years) worth of experience, and I have strong technical talent (humbly speaking) as a Data Analyst/Scientist in my profession. But it's possible that my career is very much on a limbo and I may not be able to get to get back to the market again. I don't want to go into great length about my story in this thread and make it a focus point, but the important takeaway is that I could've been more socially smart in what was happening around me at work and other matters which has affected my profession, there was cruelty and abuse involved and certainly wrong was done to me, but had I been smarter with people, some of these things at least could've been avoided.

This thread is dedicated to listen to others who might be in the same situation as I am and have struggles in their career due to having ASD. Whether you have been in that situation but since landed a job, you currently unemployed and seeking to get back, or all together out, please share your story.
I was unemployed for two years the early 1990's so I feel for you. Had very good experience, significant education
Started taking quality engineering courses, As a previous position and my vision of the future predicted this was the next big thing. Nailed it got two offers just after my second year of unemployment. Then while employed got phone call after phone call from headhunters looking for quality engineers was a real shortage got in at the ground floor.
Funniest part is never did work as a quality engineer. Position I took was automotive parts supplier Applying paint to Plastic Saturn automobile. back in my comfort zone. Had no debts lived off of wifefare. two kids Always had ability to foresee the future enough not to make major errors.

It's been now 10 months that I been out of job, I got about a decade (10 years) worth of experience, and I have strong technical talent (humbly speaking) as a Data Analyst/Scientist in my profession. But it's possible that my career is very much on a limbo and I may not be able to get to get back to the market again. I don't want to go into great length about my story in this thread and make it a focus point, but the important takeaway is that I could've been more socially smart in what was happening around me at work and other matters which has affected my profession, there was cruelty and abuse involved and certainly wrong was done to me, but had I been smarter with people, some of these things at least could've been avoided.

This thread is dedicated to listen to others who might be in the same situation as I am and have struggles in their career due to having ASD. Whether you have been in that situation but since landed a job, you currently unemployed and seeking to get back, or all together out, please share your story.
I expect I'm about to lose another job. Based on my own research, I am high functioning autistic, no offense intended to anyone that I decided this for my self, but it seems to fit and I'm researching it every day. I don't have insurance, but I am trying to get a diagnosis one way or another. I am 62, I'd like to know why so many people have come to hate me so quickly. I've been to 8 shrinks in my life, they ranged from worthless, to perverted. But none of them diagnosed me as an asshole. I'm about done with this crap.

My last job [that's appropriate to talk about] I was an assistant baker and I got fired because while going through a relationship break up I kept bursting into tears while doing the dishes. (I also think the fact my government wage subsidy was about to run out had a part to play. Government was paying half my wages)

I loved that job. Baking cakes and muffins, making sandwiches all day. It really broke my heart. I got the job because I baked cupcakes for the baker to go with my job application.

My last job [that's appropriate to talk about] I was an assistant baker and I got fired because while going through a relationship break up I kept bursting into tears while doing the dishes. (I also think the fact my government wage subsidy was about to run out had a part to play. Government was paying half my wages)

I loved that job. Baking cakes and muffins, making sandwiches all day. It really broke my heart. I got the job because I baked cupcakes for the baker to go with my job application.
I'm 62, I've been going through all my life. Had a bit of a break down this morning, more of an eruption of anger and rage. All the abuse, the crap I've had to put up with. More and more, I'm thinking I've put up with enough of this garbage. Maybe it's time to go see God in person.

I'm 62, I've been going through all my life. Had a bit of a break down this morning, more of an eruption of anger and rage. All the abuse, the crap I've had to put up with. More and more, I'm thinking I've put up with enough of this garbage. Maybe it's time to go see God in person.
You've probably only got 20 years or so left, if that. You've made it this far, may as well reach the finish line. Only you know what's best for you however, if you've had enough you've had enough...

I don't know what's better, my bitter resentment or the more masculine anger and rage reaction. I usually cry... Sometimes I feel weak and wish I could rage (or fight back)

You've probably only got 20 years or so left, if that. You've made it this far, may as well reach the finish line. Only you know what's best for you however, if you've had enough you've had enough...

I don't know what's better, my bitter resentment or the more masculine anger and rage reaction. I usually cry... Sometimes I feel weak and wish I could rage (or fight back)
In America, we have many social groups, programs, to prevent suicide. Like all these people know what I've gone through. They want to keep me alive for another day, don't care about me suffering, just keep me alive. I am a veteran, the law says they have to help me. Not in the least. Though I did get close enough to be scoffed at by them. And I should stay around for more of this? Maybe this is where we get so many homeless in America.

In America, we have many social groups, programs, to prevent suicide. Like all these people know what I've gone through. They want to keep me alive for another day, don't care about me suffering, just keep me alive. I am a veteran, the law says they have to help me. Not in the least. Though I did get close enough to be scoffed at by them. And I should stay around for more of this? Maybe this is where we get so many homeless in America.
It's strange isn't it... How people call suicide a selfish act. Isn't it more selfish to expect someone to live just to make you happy? I mean these people expect you to carry on and do nought to improve your situation

It's strange isn't it... How people call suicide a selfish act. Isn't it more selfish to expect someone to live just to make you happy? I mean these people expect you to carry on and do nought to improve your situation
Looking back, I have no doubt my family knew. Not only did they not even try to get me help, they didn't even tell me. I've spent a lifetime wondering what was wrong with me. A lifetime of pissing people off without knowing how or why. A lifetime of abuse and harassment, because I'm such an "asshole".

It's because America is a largely Christian country and suicide is forbidden in the Christian religion. It's a ticket straight to hell. They don't expect you to do nothing to improve your situation, they want you to give your life to Jesus and go to church.

Personally, I believe they've been given a version of the religion for the "dumb masses." But, where they're coming from is no mystery.

I expect I'm about to lose another job. Based on my own research, I am high functioning autistic, no offense intended to anyone that I decided this for my self, but it seems to fit and I'm researching it every day. I don't have insurance, but I am trying to get a diagnosis one way or another. I am 62, I'd like to know why so many people have come to hate me so quickly. I've been to 8 shrinks in my life, they ranged from worthless, to perverted. But none of them diagnosed me as an asshole. I'm about done with this crap.

Sorry to hear it. I'm not up to 62 yet, but I'm old enough that age is becoming an issue. Losing a job when you're older is a big deal. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully we'll both figure this out.

I've always had difficult in just finding a job, regardless of whether I held onto it for a few months or decades. Always remaining an arduous social hurdle for me.

Seeking employment period would always be at the top of any list citing a "bane of my existence".

New Threads

Top Bottom