• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who are your heroes?

Jesus, Einstein, Samwise Gamgee, C.S. Lewis, Temple Grandin, hmmm, probably others. Jesus is far above the rest :) and my list is in order of importance to me. All the others are people I hugely respect and admire, and hope to learn from. And yes, I realize Mr. Gamgee is fictional. I don't care- he made me want to be Rosie Cotton!

I would say my heroes are Paul and Leto Atreides II.

I know they are fictional but I feel a link with them more than the type of heroes modern society seems to think that we should have.

As he has just died yesterday, I'd like to add Patrick Moore to the list of scientific heroes. Maybe not famous outside the uk, he was the face of astronomy for many, many generations of us budding "astronauts and astronomers" (heck, scientists as a whole I would imagine!). Every person who studied science at university knew about him. He was a legend. And a great eccentric, backed by a steely determination that science would get us there in the end.

It's really sad, but the night before he died I was taking star pictures with my new camera. the timing was poignant, as it was his last starry night with us.

I met him once (almost twice) and he signed my astronomy book I had as a kid. It was a special book, because for me at the time it was a gateway to literally the universe. Pre Internet, and living in a rural backwater with nobody on the same wavelength as me, his book gave me a glimpse that there were people out there who had their minds focused on bigger things.

I studied astronomy at uni for a bit, and he was friends with one of the professors. It was the best bit of my uni course, and though I never did anything more than a first year subsidiary in it, I know it was probably through his book that I got there.

When I met him years later, he was promoting his newest book, about extra terrestrial life on mars. I raised a point about some work by a couple of other scientists who speculated life was spread throughout the universe far more than we realised. He actually was friends with one of these scientists! The connection with cutting edge science was there, and it was real.

So, Patrick Moore is a hero to me, for his life's work and passion for truth.

As a very keen writer, Roald Dahl, the first author I truly admired, has always inspired me with his wit, his invention, and his earnestness.

Ziva David, from NCIS. She's brave, adventurous, strong willed, smart, funny, and has great ninja skills. You know, everything I'm not.

Nikola Tesla - so underrated for all he accomplished.
Steve Jobs - incredible innovator and spokesman.
Ronald Reagan - best president of my time and probably will always be.
Lee Sklar - bass player who has contributed to more pop, country, and Christian music than just about anybody.
Wilson Phillips - group whose music got me through the toughest times in school, I'd probably kiss the ground they walked on.

On a more personal level, my grandpa. I am just like he was, in probably every way there is.

New Threads

Top Bottom