• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which subjects at high school made you most anxious?

I remember doing religious education at school but it was so boring.
Yes so true, much of the history etc.
I found it solidly
Swimming when I forgot my swimming trunks!! They made us wear white PE shorts that went see through when wet as some kind of bizarre humiliation ritual.

Any technical subject that you couldn't blag.

Rugby in the winter.

PSE: Personal and Social Education - when they wanted you to talk about insecurities

Drama: too shy

Art: terrible teachers snuffing out fun
I hated swimming too, I liked swimming when i went to lessons but
1 it was embarrassing in school and they never taught me anything about how to do it.
I tried to get out of it any way I could

I liked drama in year 7 to 9, it was just a way to have fun and express myself
However I hated it in years 10 to 12 I just did not like drama performance or found it anything appealing. Same with music performance. I used to sing and I hated performing and I did not want to do it because I was not really into it or found it fun.
Art...it was very structured but also the teachers were hell.
They favoured their kids and negative about everything. So if you did something you liked and were proud of, they would pull it down and criticise everything

Another class that I hated taking was Speech and Communication because of two boys in my class that I had to sit next to each for one semester. All they did was constantly bother me and not do any of the work if we had an assignment where we both had to do a presentation. I eventually told the teacher that I didn’t want to be next to them because I was always being distracted by them and once I told him that one of the boys did absolutely nothing for the assignment and just sat there and made me do all the work and I refused to let him get the grade I had earned for doing all the work. The teacher understood my problem and listened to me but the school psychologist wrote it off as me refusing to cooperate with my classmates and blaming them for my own mistakes. I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all to sit next to two kids you know do absolutely nothing but constantly disrupt you in class the entire period and just sit there messing on their laptop while you do all the work for a collaboration project. I mean why should I let them walk all over me and get grades that they don’t even deserve to get because they did nothing but slack off during class?

I loved swimming, even though I was scared of putting my head under the water or going in the deep end, it was still my favourite PE activity.

Mostly subjects would make me anxious if the teacher was firm and the consequences were personal.

My first grade teacher was quite firm. She could be loud, too. So you didn’t mess with her. I tried harder than ever before to be on my best behavior. The one thing that made me most anxious then was the SRA Listening Skill Builder exercise. The teacher would read a story, and then we’d do two exercises in our workbooks: Answer yes and no questions, and then choose pictures in our workbooks based on the questions the teacher would ask. I didn’t do too well at it, and I often got answers wrong. After each question the teacher would ask for a show of hands for how many students got the answer right, and I often didn’t raise my hand. Eventually the teacher would single me out in front of the class. One time before the exercise the teacher said to me, “You’ve got to listen very carefully. You’ve been getting too many wrong.” Then when I’d get an answer wrong she’d criticize me. Naturally, that didn’t help me much. At a later time after the exercise she’d say to me, “Your listening is getting worse.”

In third grade Art would make me anxious because we had a new art teacher who was firm and didn’t take mistakes lightly.

Of course in later years, if a teacher was being unfair, I wouldn’t just accept it. I’d protest, rebel, or answer back. (That actually may have started in second grade.)
High school! I failed to read the title of the thread correctly. Sorry.

New Threads

Top Bottom