• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which film version of the BFG do you like better?

AGXStarseed

The first option is Cosgrove Hall Films' 1989 animated version, with the film starring Amanda Root as Sophie and Only Fools and Horses star David Jason as the voice of the BFG.
For those of you who don't recognise Cosgrove Hall, they made a large number of shows including Dangermouse and its spinoff Count Duckula.

The second option is the 2016 Live-action/CGI version, directed by Steven Spielberg and distributed by Disney - with the film starring Ruby Barnhill as Sophie and Bridge of Spies actor Mark Rylance as the BFG.

Which one do you think is better?

Here's one guy's opinion:

I didn't watch the live action version, because I loved the 1989 movie as a kid, still have very fond memories of that movie and don't want to ruin those. Sue me, I'm an Aspie that doesn't like change :P

I only watched the more recent Disney version of The BFG (2016) and only because my mate kept nagging me saying how good it would be when he finally persuaded me to watch it with him. He thoroughly enjoyed it, but "family" fantasy movies aren't really for me, especially Disney movies and even though I watched it I didn't exactly love it and since it didn't really interest me too much I've already forgotten most of it. I do remember appreciating how good the special CGI effects were however and how the whole movie was made to a very high standard which isn't surprising when it's directed by Steven Spielberg.

Personally I much prefer watching a serious sci-fi movie and/or TV series, or even the occasional horror, although I find it impossible to take most horror seriously in more recent years. In fact I've never been able to get my head around movies that are totally and utterly illogical like The BFG and I also really hate movies with talking animals or worse still talking inanimate objects like the fully conscious talking vehicles in the Cars movie franchise for instance.

PS: Regarding Disney in general, well I've never been much of a fan of any of their movies or TV even as a young child, but Lucusfilm selling Star Wars to them was totally unforgivable. I'd rant about this a lot more, but it would deserve it's own thread.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom