• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which Asperger type are you?

Carroll, Einstein, Numan.

I am terrible at spelling however, only really assert myself if it's about computers or history, and dysthymic.

My following comment may not be entirely apropos, because I haven't seen the video that was originally posted above (it's no longer available) so I'm responding largely to kasmanaft08's transcription above, which doesn't provide the context that the video may have provided.

I wouldn't have thought that a self-respecting Aspie would appreciate the notion of being thought of, or self-identifying with, someone's classification of personality or character 'types'. We are all so unique, and it is often our unique characteristics that are overlooked or misunderstood, it seems counter-productive to me to to identify with any particular archetype as being in some way definitive of our own natures. Self respect, and self-esteem are issues that many Aspies, including myself, have struggled with because we have often been met with disapproval, or other forms of repressive negativity, from others who (seeing only their social awkwardness) don't recognize, or appreciate, some of our finer qualities. In some cases, our problems originate when others DO recognize our better characteristics, but question why we can't behave like others when we are obviously blessed with some degree of intelligence. When others don't celebrate our uniqueness or individuality we might feel some form of recognition when we identify with other recognized and celebrated figures, but when doing so we willingly submit to the kind of classifications and stereotypes that the neurotypicals like to peg us in, and risk abandoning our own unique nature in the process, and consequently avoid taking responsibility for BOTH our strengths and our shortcomings. True self awareness, it seems to me, is coming to terms with both of those aspects of our nature, and I question whether this is possible when we accept any simplistic means of 'profiling'.

Speaking as a self-identifying Aspie adult (approaching 70 years of age) who has only recently recognized his Aspie characteristics, to finally recognize the basis for my acute social awkwardness is actually quite liberating, for it allows me to see clearly in retrospect those personal characteristics which have caused me great difficulties in the past, and identifies for me those areas in which I've been deficient for which I can now take responsibility and try to improve upon. There were no screening procedures in place when I was young, and since recognition of the Spectrum the focus has been primarily upon early detection, so there are probably many adults like myself who have floundered in a kind of internal limbo as they struggle to find answers for the things that have always perplexed them, thwarted their development, and in many cases caused a great deal of undue anguish.

It is gratifying to know that early detection measures are now in place, so children may be provided with the resources and support they require to develop the self-awareness they will require as they approach adulthood. But, as adults, (and I assume most of us here on this forum are adults) I think we are better served, and serve each other better, to dispense with idea of pigeon-holing and profiling, and simply discuss our unique personal life experiences frankly. Between us, our life experiences form an expansive pool of resources which, when shared, can provide as great deal of mutual support, and who knows? may provide a foundation for increased awareness of Asbergers on the part of those 'professionals' who seek to better understand the condition.

I've heard of a few of the names mentioned above but I don't know what they're like. I don't listen to radio, read papers or watch TV.

How would I describe myself? Sometimes 'Active but Odd' and at others, 'Passive'. There should be a group for 'Loner' because I'd fit in there very well.

A friend from another forum proposed that some Aspies who start projects, but don't finish them, might belong to the sub-type, Half-Aspergers...!

33.33.. numan, 33.33..morrissey..33.33 nicholas with terrible grammer and spelling. bipolar and schitsophrenia are apparently impossible for someone with ASD thats what i was told at my diagnosis as it had earlier been disputed the possibility of both

Part Einstien and part Aykroyd (okay I cheated there but, he fits me better than any listed so, go with it.)

Which type of Asperger am I? Well, I am old, grumpy and headstrong, so I guess I am the Doc Martin type. At least according to my wife I am.

I went ahead and transcribed it, in case you didn't feel like going through the video.

1. Spielburg Type
Sociable
Often likes sports
Sometimes extroverted, has quite a few friends.
Usually has an average IQ.
Spelling and grammar often quite poor.
People can be suprised to find that this person is on the autism spectrum.

2. Einstein Type
Intellectual, high IQ
Likely to be skilled on computers
Excellent grammar and spelling
Likes to be known as an expert on their chosen special interest
May become argumentative with others who they feel are less knoweldgeable than they are.

3. Powell Type
Aggressive, possibly has PTSD/BPD
Intelligent
Hostile in general and can be violent at times.
May use drugs in order to relieve stress.
Very often been bulied in school and feels that they must be strong and fight in order to survive

4. Numan Type
Daydreamer, often spaces out
Finds other people hard to understand
Finds they are very often misunderstood.
Has many dreams and plans
Finds it very, very hard to bond with people.
Possibly bipolar.

5. Morrissey Type
Fantasises a lot
Feels very seperarated from people
May have a schizophrenia diagnosis
Likes art and creativity especially, feels a connection with other times in history
Feels like a completely unique person on the inside
Can often be called an "alien" by others.

6. Nicholls type
Hyperactive, energetic
Extrovert, tries to make friends often
Has no trouble making friends but then finds them hard to keep for any length of time
People may complain that they're irritating, such as family members, or that they are immature and childish.
May be doagnosedwith ADD/ADHD
Likes to talk to people and does not have a lot of social fear.

7. Carroll type
Passive, very introverted, quiet and shy
Very deeply involved in special interests
Having friends or relatoinships is always secondary to special interests
Appears calm on the outside, showing little emotion, but can be anxious inside
Prefers to keep all emotions sudued publicly
Very likely to be bullied in school, very rarely gets angry or aggressive.

8. Warhol type
Extremely confident to the point of egocentricity
Thinks highly of themselves and thinks others should too
Has many ideas and feels that the world misunderstands them
Likes to monologue excessively
Often friendly in formal settings.
If problems occur, they can become revengeful and bitter in life
Could have NPD traits
This covers just about every PD that's recognised! There are various psychiatrists in Europe who think Aspergers should be classed as a Cluster A PD removed from Autism, while in the UK they want to lump us on the ASD and abandon Aspergers. Is this called Schizophrenia?

This covers just about every PD that's recognised! There are various psychiatrists in Europe who think Aspergers should be classed as a Cluster A PD removed from Autism, while in the UK they want to lump us on the ASD and abandon Aspergers. Is this called Schizophrenia?

ASD is accurate for me at least. My card says Autism Spectrum Condition on it. As far as I can tell ASC and ASD have the same meaning. HFA and AS just seem so alike, so putting them into different classifications altogether really doesn't make sense. Merging them into one does to me though. So I'm for removing Asperger's and putting it into ASD like they did in America.

New Threads

Top Bottom