• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where should I get my tattoo?

louloulovesdogs

I just thought it would be fun to poll this. No lectures on tattoos because it's not my first, it's my 6th. I currently have them placed on my left shoulder (medium), right ribs (small) right inner ankle/foot (small), left outer foot (tiny), and tight side wrist.

I'm getting a small single sprig of lavender tattooed, I'm deciding between the left side wrist (so it would be the same size and placement of the one on the right) or the left inner ankle.

Vote!

Where would you like to have it placed?

If the lavender is symbolic in some way, you're more likely to see it if placed on your wrist?

...unless of course you spend a lot of time looking at your ankles? Yoga? Other...stuff... :)

I would go with the wrist. You can fit a slightly larger tattoo on the ankle than the wrist, so you could save that slightly larger space for something just a little bit bigger in the future.

Its a matter of the importance in my opinion. I have two balanced tattoos on my forearms so it's immediately noticable.

For me the tattoos are something the label or are representative of a person. They matter in how people judge your appearance like clothes or hygiene. So how important is it that not only you, but others see this tattoo

As a retired tattooist, couple things to keep in mind. Wrist is area that bends a lot during lifetime so skin is more elasticity, meaning stretching over time, which impacts lines overtime expanding them. Lettering looks great for 5 to 10 years but as life goes on tends to blur with what's called bleed-in.

If you can go a little higher than the actual bend area the better. Is a little more tender there but you know what to expect having a few already.

The darker your skin, long term sun and skin tone will overpower the lighter color of chosen ink. With real tan people white gets buried easy, etc... be prepared for a few touch ups as time passes. The more sun and wear and tear of the area tends to need it. Keep new tattooed area from soaking in water (though gently wash it a couple times a day). Freshly tattooed hands and wrists more venerable to wetness since dish washing and such, while healing. Bacteria loves moisture, darkness, and heat so let as much fresh air on it as possible, and no picking at it while healing, which is hard not to because new tissue tends to itch. What people see is just the healing things on top of the tattoo so they freak out a bit when seeing it for a day or so, let it just fall off naturally and the ink will be fine. After having put on over 25,000 tats I think this is sound advice. They sure can be addicting, like eating potatoe chips, can't have just one! Good luck! Keep in mind whatever tattoo you chose make sure you want to see it at 90! Have fun!

Last edited:
As a retired tattooist, couple things to keep in mind. Wrist is area that bends a lot during life time so skin is more elasticity, meaning stretching over time, which impacts lines overtime expanding them. Lettering looks great for 5 to ten years but as life goes on tends to blur with what's called bleed-in.

If you can go a little higher than the actual bend area the better. Is a little more tender there but you know what to expect having a few already.

Color, the lighter the more sun and tone will overpower it. Like real tan people white gets buried easy... be prepared for a few touch ups as time passes. The more sun and wear and tear of the area tends to need it. Keep area out of soaking in water, hands and wrists more venerable to wetness sense dish washing and such, while healing. Bacteria loves moisture, darkness, and heat so let as much fresh air on it as possible, and no picking at it while healing, which is hard not to because new tissue tends to itch. What people see is just the healing things on top of the tattoo so they freak out a bit when seeing it for a day or so, let it just fall off naturally and the ink will be fine. After having put on over 25,000 tats I think this is sound advice. They sure can be addicting, like eating potatoe chips, can't have just one! Good luck! Keep in mind whatever tattoo you chose make sure you want to see it at 90! Have fun!

We have a resident expert. Sweet! Now I know who to ask when I have questions.

I have been wanting to get a tattoo on my ribs, right underneath my arm. Do you know how much I can expect that skin to move in the next few decades?

Last edited:
We have a resident expert. Sweet! Now I know who to ask when I have questions.

I have been wanting to get a tattoo on my ribs, right underneath my arm. Do you know how much I can expect that skin to move in the next few decades?

Actually, not to bad if you keep it to the rib cage and not so much on the side of belly, have seen some gals get dolphins around belly button, get pregnant and dolphin turns into free Willy. The rib cage stings so very important you stay as still as possible or each twitch either brings the needle deeper, or further away. Some say use Vaseline after getting the tattoo, but it shuts the pores off and you need them open to breath and not ferment bacteria. Some do use it with no problem. Whatever you use do so sparingly and immediately whip off all excess. Keep it out of soaking in water a few days, sun, and let as much fresh air on it as possible. Rib cage is no picnic, but no pain no gain. Takes about 15 minutes for endorphins and adrenaline, which are a natural pain killer to kick in, which will help numb it. They have a window of about 2 hours. Everyone is different though. Stay still, makes your tattooist have an easier time and you a better looking tat. Have fun! Pick what you want, because tattoos last longer than most marriages! Glad to share one simple mans insight. Post picture after would be cool!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom