• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic When Headlines Distort the Truth

Ste11aeres

Anyone who reads my posts knows that dogs are my special interest.
Sometimes when reading about dogs, one is drawn to reflect on broader issues that affect humans as well.
Here is an example
http://www.heraldnews.com/article/20150911/NEWS/150918853/0/breaking_ajax

Headlines that distort the truth
Notice that I didn't say "false headlines".
No. But notice the difference between the headline, and the article.
Unleashed tiny dog runs up to and starts fight with pitbull, (no offense to tiny dogs, I love them too, but you small-dog-owners know that they've got a bit of small dog syndrome), pitbull owner separates two dogs. Small dog is unharmed.
Guy comes running out and stabs the pitbull multiple times, while the owner runs away in terror.
The pitbull didn't bit the man or fight back when he was being stabbed.

And the headlines still insist on making it look like it was the stabbed dog's fault.

Much of media today seems consistently bent on appealing only to the public's baser instincts. So it's a given that they will distort just about anything that's perceived necessary to evoke an emotional and/or negative response. When they publish a story involving a pitbull, it's far more likely to involve violence rather than how a well-behaved Staffordshire Terrier placed in a recent dog show.

Whether they print the truth or an outright lie, their intent isn't to inform the pubic. The story is just a catalyst to make people emotionally react. It's that reaction they want. Not truth- or knowledge.

Much of media today seems consistently bent on appealing only to the public's baser instincts. So it's a given that they will distort just about anything that's perceived necessary to evoke an emotional and/or negative response. When they publish a story involving a pitbull, it's far more likely to involve violence rather than how a well-behaved Staffordshire Terrier placed in a recent dog show.

Whether they print the truth or an outright lie, their intent isn't to inform the pubic. The story is just a catalyst to make people emotionally react. It's that reaction they want. Not truth- or knowledge.

It is all to increase readership. That is all that matters to the media. The more dramatic they make it, the more people will read it.

It is all to increase readership. That is all that matters to the media. The more dramatic they make it, the more people will read it.
Yep. Although in my humble opinion, Level 3 Sex Offender/Child Rapist who has Committed Manslaughter Stabs Unresisting Dog would certainly be dramatic. (All those things are true about that man)

Much of media today seems consistently bent on appealing only to the public's baser instincts. So it's a given that they will distort just about anything that's perceived necessary to evoke an emotional and/or negative response.

And the thing is, I've no doubt that they often do the same thing in regards to articles about human beings, as well.

Yep. Although in my humble opinion, Level 3 Sex Offender/Child Rapist who has Committed Manslaughter Stabs Unresisting Dog would certainly be dramatic. (All those things are true about that man)

And the thing is, I've no doubt that they often do the same thing in regards to articles about human beings, as well.
.Headlines. What has been bothering me greatly recently is while I used to - for the most part - ignore the news for the fact that it is not news but a soxial construct/catalyst as Judge said; now I feel the proverbial @&*#! is about to hit the fan and I want information that contains Actual Facts. But at this point in Time that's probably impossible. I feel angry and worried about it, and yet I really do not care that much about humanity when "we" are collectively a scourge upon the Earth.

Sorry for rant.

What does level 3 mean.. Does that he has sex with babies or teens? I didn't know they had levels...

What does level 3 mean.. Does that he has sex with babies or teens? I didn't know they had levels...

Sex offender levels primarily reflect an estimate of the risk of recidivism of an offender. Level 3 would indicate a probable likelihood for a repeat sex offense. The real details depend on the state in question.

Sex offender levels primarily reflect an estimate of the risk of recidivism of an offender. Level 3 would indicate a probable likelihood for a repeat sex offense. The real details depend on the state in question.
So how do they figure that out and frankly I am likely to stab someone due to my history of violence but I just haven't done anything violent at all in a while (Like 8 years or something)... So aparently your telling me that rape is worse then anything except murder?

So how do they figure that out and frankly I am likely to stab someone due to my history of violence but I just haven't done anything violent at all in a while (Like 8 years or something)... So aparently your telling me that rape is worse then anything except murder?

Violent crimes against children appear to be the most egregious as opposed to the murder or rape of an adult. I know absolutely this is the case in Nevada where I reside. But such sentiments may be somewhat different in other states.

This is a jurisdiction where maximum penalties are likely to be applied in violent crimes against both children and senior citizens.

Definitions and Explanations: Nevada Sex Offender Registry

http://www.nvsexoffenders.gov/definitions.aspx

Last edited:
Without going too in-depth, rape is a pretty heinous crime.

New Threads

Top Bottom