• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

?? What's Your New Years Resolutions For 2016 ??

To learn to manage my autism better and integrate it into my life and lifestyle better. instead of trying to denying it and wishing that it would just go away.

Make sure you've passed your theory as early as possible. Ensure your instructor is of a high grade (grades range from 1-5) and my second instructor was a 5. I have more advice to offer as an aspie who took 6 times to pass (partly due to a poorer first instructor who was too soft on me) because I was a slow learner and remembered all the tips I'd pass on to others (I passed almost 2yrs ago). Good luck.

Thank you. I'm hoping it won't take as much effort as that; I've been riding a motorbike for a good few years now. I'm a bundle of nerves though. :/

Thank you. I'm hoping it won't take as much effort as that; I've been riding a motorbike for a good few years now. I'm a bundle of nerves though. :/

Well, as a car driver you're trying to run over motorcyclists rather than doing the running yourself hehe (roadkill). But if you're already au fait with the highway code then it shouldn't be too hard, you've just got the cars controls and maneuvers to worry about.

To be more accepting of all people no matter how different their views are from mine.

To be a positive influence on each person I meet each day.

To remove all negativity from my mind.

...and remembered all the tips I'd pass on to others...
In 1948's The Paleface, Painless Peter Potter (Bob Hope) is challenged to a gunfight. The local crowd tries to offer him helpful advice:
"He draws from the left, so lean to the right."
"There's a wind from the west so aim to the east."
"He crouches when he shoots so stand on your toes."

As Potter reaches the doors he turns to the crowd, who are breathless with tension, and snarls like MGM's lion. He hits the street, desperately trying to remember all that advice:
(muttering) "He draws from the left so stand on your toes."
"He crouches when he shoots so aim to the west."
"He draws from his toes so lean to the wind."
(cackling with triumph) "I've got it! I've got it!"

My only resolution is to not have any...

Oh wait...

No, but I don't do resolutions in general, since I feel that when I want to do something, a goal of sorts, I can just as well start right away and not wait until a certain date.

My only resolution is to not have any...

Oh wait...

No, but I don't do resolutions in general, since I feel that when I want to do something, a goal of sorts, I can just as well start right away and not wait until a certain date.

Ordinarily (if it were any other point in the year) I'd agree, but a new year is a new beginning and it does work well to be able to say that in the year xxxx I have stopped doing this or started doing that. It's an easy point in time to measure from.

1) Stop dwelling on the past
2) Be myself (Stop trying to be "normal")
3) Lose weight
4) Get a professional diagnosis
5) Learn a new language

I have more probably but too many to list :tongueout:

Ordinarily (if it were any other point in the year) I'd agree, but a new year is a new beginning and it does work well to be able to say that in the year xxxx I have stopped doing this or started doing that. It's an easy point in time to measure from.

Fair point though, at the start of a year it's easier to remember. I wonder if it would make a lot of difference to say "March of 2015" or something instead of "2015" I guess for some people it would help to not have to many resolutions starting on january 1st.

Which also makes me wonder if people have deadlines set. Quitting smoking for example isn't a hard deadline, but for example "learning a new language to a certain level" (basic conversational or so) is that something people set to have achieved by the end of the year, or by the end of june (when starting in january) and how true do you stay true them when you might actually took up a lot to do to begin with; knowing what's reasonable is most likely among the things to make sure you have a good foundation for resolutions, since asking too much of yourself will end in abandoning any plans... (but perhaps I'm thinking strict black and white, aspiestyle here. "This is my goal and I must achieve this and there's no wiggle room at all")

(but perhaps I'm thinking strict black and white, aspiestyle here

Yes, I'm afraid you are. If you set yourself an unknowingly un-achievable task then you look at how much effort you've put in over the year and how much you've progressed since the start of the year. You can praise yourself for those and make the next years one 'to complete my understanding of xxxxx within 2017'.

You have too many titles too- (admin, staff member, V.I.P) that's just greedy and intimidating lol :D.

Last edited:
I see mine more as goals than resolutions:

1. Get Firsts in all my university assignments and exams before graduation in the summer
2. Get onto a Clinical Psychology Doctoral course OR a full-time job related to my degree
3. Move out of my parents' house and get a place with my fian
4. Get down to 8 stone in weight

I see mine more as goals than resolutions:

1. Get Firsts in all my university assignments and exams before graduation in the summer
2. Get onto a Clinical Psychology Doctoral course OR a full-time job related to my degree
3. Move out of my parents' house and get a place with my fian
4. Get down to 8 stone in weight

Where were you when I actually cared for a romantic relationship, a fellow aspie (easy on the eyes- nice red hair) who lives within driving distance of me in the same county, we could've been ideal lol. Ooh and training to be a psychologist no less.
Can that actually work, an aspie being a psychologist?

Where were you when I actually cared for a romantic relationship, a fellow aspie (easy on the eyes- nice red hair) who lives within driving distance of me in the same county, we could've been ideal lol. Ooh and training to be a psychologist no less.
Can that actually work, an aspie being a psychologist?

Hehe! :p well I think/hope I'll make a good psychologist, psychology became one of my "special interests" when I was about 11 and considering my diagnosis I'm surprisingly good with people

I don't make New Year's Resolutions, partly because it seems silly to me to set such a long-term goal and be expected to stick with it the entire year. When I decide to improve on something, I have to take it on a week-by-week basis, and sometimes just on a day-to-day basis. Committing myself to something for an entire year just makes it seem so much more daunting and I'm more likely to get stressed out at one point and be like, "Oh, f*ck it" and give up.

okay a pretty nerdy new years resolution:
im going to attempt to play the following ten boardgames, not necessarily the best or my faviroute boardgames, rather games i have really enjoyed in the past and want to play more than i actually manage, ten times each in 2016, some will be fairly easy others will be super difficult:
1.war of the ring
2.twilight struggle
3.istanbul
4.stone age
5.dixit
6.android netrunner (im thinking of making a proper concerted effort of actually getting into this more, very dependent on other people though)
7.lords of waterdeep
8.evolution
9.diskworld
10.star wars x wing miniatures
nice and simple but i live by a motto of do what is simple and makes you happy, im already like 5% complete as of writing this which is pretty good for a week into the year during exam times where i cant play as much as i want to.

Well since the New Year's resolution I made in 1990 has not expired yet, I'm still holding to that. I resolved not to make another New Year's resolution so long as I lived.

New Threads

Top Bottom