• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's the best way to fight autistic laziness?

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
It's not uncommon for people on the spectrum to procrastinate. However, seeing as I am 18 years old now, I would like to overcome this and grow up.

I am very lazy. Sometimes even writing posts on forums can take a long time. However, I am lower class and therefore have to be a responsible adult faster than most. How do I overcome my chronic laziness?

Use it has a challenge to find the best job for the money that requires the least input. Or find something you really like doing and excel in that.

18 is a big deal. Now you are going forward as a young adult.

It's not uncommon for people on the spectrum to procrastinate. However, seeing as I am 18 years old now, I would like to overcome this and grow up.

I am very lazy. Sometimes even writing posts on forums can take a long time. However, I am lower class and therefore have to be a responsible adult faster than most. How do I overcome my chronic laziness?

Maybe try doing small things at first. Think of it this way: say you want to motivate yourself to read a book. Start small. Make a goal of reading just one word. If that's too easy, make a goal of reading one sentence or even one paragraph. Then don't read for the rest of the day. Make another goal to read the next paragraph. Then progressively read more paragraphs each day, and then make a goal of reading one page in a day, and just continue this progression with bigger and bigger goals until you have finally read the entire book.

Of course, this is just for motivation to read a whole book. You can use a similar method to accomplish a task that you want to do that you often procrastinate about.

It can be difficult to find motivation, but it's also a matter of getting into a routine of doing things and sticking with it until it isn't something you procrastinate about.

For most men the fire in the belly comes from the need to provide an income, by any means necessary, to help support a family.
A deep and abiding fear of being
1 alone and unsupported
2 becoming a homeless beggar
3 dying in the alley

It seems to be a type of switch that gets flipped. Once made aware of the need to produce, it is a strong motivator.

This is a wonderful time in your life! Your esteemed parents still love and support you, and you still have your youth and good health! College is calling you hopefully. Being poor is unpleasant.

Still a wonderful time for travel and adventure, before adult responsibilities put a yoke around your neck.

I wish you all the best! Perhaps buy a pack frame, a haversack and a sleeping bag, a mess kit all of that?

Walk to the bus stop, ride the grey dog all day, walk up into some fair country.....

I had friends for adventuring with in my youth, it was most joyous. It is a perfect time for you to join a service organization, such places are some of the best ways to make quality friends...

You currently identify as a procrastinator. It's a label you've absorbed into your self. Start thinking of yourself as a person who does not procrastinate. People who know you would know about you that you do not procrastinate. This is one of your traits and it shows. It's who you are. Why would I ever procrastinate? you wonder. There's no reason to procrastinate. It would make no sense for you to procrastinate. Because you don't procrastinate. Ever. That's just you.

First of all, there is no "autistic" anything unless it's a living creature, and second of all stop blaming being lazy on autism.

How can you fix any procrastination if you are not focusing on the causes?

For instance, is it because of:

Being overwhelmed by doing new things, going to new places and/or meeting new persons?
A failure to prioritize properly, or see the importance of that?
A lack of certain goals and a plan to achieve those?
Poor judgment?
Poor self esteem, negative thoughts, or a belief that those things cannot be accomplished by you?
A lack of energy to do those things?
Those things either bore you, or in the opposite case seem too complex?
You are not motivated as you need some instant reward?
Those duties are not a part of any usual routines?
Sensory issues, or motor issues could be involved?
Your attention is mostly on special interests?
You forget to do those things?
Pressure from another/others to do things their way or at their timing?

I mean, it will be up to you to brainstorm to see why you are not motivated, able or interested in doing certain things, as each person will be different. No Autistic will be alike, and we can have different reasons for doing or not doing things. Our abilities, limitations and needs will be different, and the ways we do things can be different. There is no perfect answer to your question thus, as it can be tackled in numerous ways. If one path closes, try another. But, the key is to find the expected causes first, and to work then on resolving that or those. Once that is accomplished, your abilities, motivations and efforts should improve, and the results to your liking will better be achieved.

Last edited:
I agree with @Renameplease, i also procrastinate daily, but i try to motivate my self. I have ADHD and that influences me from being motivated. I write small goals each week and i try to achieve the most of them or half of them or some of them, when i am not in the mood. After achieving a goal(the simplest thing eg. Washing my long hair, which bores me) i am treating my self with something nice. In that way i am behaving with kindness towards my self and i feel nice :)

May be finding something that interests you, can bring you motivation.

First of all don’t allow yourself to get mired in, and go around in circles debating with yourself what will help you. You don’t need to label yourself “X.”

Just pick something very easy and small that is right in front of you, that needs doing, and do it.

There are days which I know from experience are not going to be as productive as others.

(i don’t label it as lazy anymore but my parents labeled it “failure.”)

One sure predictor of needing down time is social interaction “yesterday” means I’ll likely be low on energy “today.”

I allow for that and will cram as much ad possible into the day that (already screwed up) requres social interaction.
I get some food & caffeine in me and get my list all done, or as much as is possible.
Then I take a few days to avoid the world of humans.

Last edited:
First of all don’t allow yourself to get mired in, and go around in circles debating with yourself what will help you. You don’t need to label yourself “X.”

Just pick something very easy and small that is right in front of you, that needs doing, and do it.

There are days which I know from experience are not going to be as productive as others.

(i don’t label it as lazy anymore but my parents labeled it “failure.”)

One sure predictor of needing down time is social interaction “yesterday” means I’ll likely be low on energy “today.”

I allow for that and will cram as much ad possible into the day that (already screwed up) requres social interaction.
I get some food & caffeine in me and get my list all done, or as much as is possible.
Then I take a few days to avoid the world of humans.

That's on my to do list also: Avoid humans today ☺

How can you fix any procrastination if you are not focusing on the causes?

For instance, is it because of:

Being overwhelmed by doing new things, going to new places and/or meeting new persons?
A failure to prioritize properly, or see the importance of that?
A lack of certain goals and a plan to achieve those?
Poor judgment?
Poor self esteem, negative thoughts, or a belief that those things cannot be accomplished by you?

I mean, it will be up to you to brainstorm to see why you are not motivated, able or interested in doing certain things, as each person will be different. No Autistic will be alike, and we can have different reasons for doing or not doing things. Our abilities, limitations and needs will be different, and the ways we do things can be different. There is no perfect answer to your question thus, as it can be tackled in numerous ways. If one path closes, try another. But, the key is to find the expected causes first, and to work then on resolving that or those. Once that is accomplished, your abilities, motivations and efforts should improve, and the results to your liking will better be achieved.

This should be on my wall. Thanks for writing out everything we go through daily on the spectrum.☺

Sometimes my entire existance are thoughts l need to run through and read your post. That's the difficult thing for me to acknowledge. When l was working 6 days, 8 or 9 hours, nothing was done in my home. ☹

Im also extremely lazy and procrastinate everything, haven't really done anything productive in months, just rotting away.

Im sorry that i am so harsh and unpleasant. I dont try to be mean, im just like that. The thing is i dont want to be afraid of, but im like that sometimes, and i have high hopes for you. I believe in you, alot of us do. Its because of how awesome you are...

I have this thought about depression and momentum. The cure for depression is exercise. Can you think of yourself like a machine, that is stuck at idle? Its hard to say, and harder to hear.

But heres the thing. You really need to keep movin. Like alot alot really do.

So whatever it is that is ;

That you can do anyways ;

Even if it hurts again ;

Just like it did....

Over and over again...

Some sort of daily practice please.

Can you get out for a walk, is it allowed?

Or like go out for some excuse, of any nature?

I just want you to know that i love you anyways.

Like alot

And there is alot of love for you here too from everyone else.

You are a highly regarded m3mber of this community

Its tru

You may not understand why everyone here loves you so much and why we all look up to you...

Last edited:

Yea and just because you read it on the internet it's true. It's called executive dysfunction. I could look up about a billion excuses for just about any personality type/trait online. That is today's culture, make excuses for everything and blame everyone else for our own faults. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

The truth is you are most admired for your integrity. And then the wise whisper " does he have it?"

And they think you do have it.
So i have been said.
And they would not lie to me
Its not safe to do that
Not really
Nor at all

Last edited:
Do you know what i mean?

I think you are pretty special and of course destined for greater things...

I just cannot hardly wait for your artistic to bloom righteous from your autistic, and evryone says its coming from that kid....
(thats you they mean)
Just you wait...

Everyone loves you and wants you well and you are
Called a
Strong fork anyways...

Thank you

New Threads

Top Bottom