• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would happen if the internet was "switched off" for a substantial amount of time?

Loved the AVR's they used to sell there.
Now, best buy seems to be the only source.
Yep. Best Buy over Walmart. Walmart sells some of those items, but they are inferior IMO.

But in most cases these days I just go straight to Amazon to get the technical specs, and just hope for the best in terms of quality and longevity.

Of course since we have an Amazon distribution center outside of town, Nevada sales tax applies on any Amazon purchase I make. "The more things change, the more they stay the same". So much for progress! :rolleyes:

Walmart nowadays sells those stupid soundbars.

Wal mart as far as i know does not carry AVR's anymore.

(So does bestbuy)

[On a other note, i feel that Denon is the best quality for the price.]

Walmart nowadays sells those stupid soundbars.

Soundbars still appeal to a great many consumers who don't have or don't want more elaborate audio systems.

Walmart even sells the Bose ones as well. Touted by some as the best, though I suspect they are for a smaller market of people looking for optimal clarity in speech apart from sophisticated surround sound. (Features that can be found in any number of widescreen tvs where their owners remain unaware of such things often buried inside elaborate tv menus.)

Though I'd never bother with soundbars given my own audio systems that integrate Cable, Roku, DVD, CD and FM.

AV System.jpg

I was re-watching some episodes of Life After People and remembered about a similar show called Aftermath - which also explored the "sudden zero population" idea along with the population suddenly doubling, oil running out, etc.
As such, I thought I'd throw in this "thought experiment" and ask what do you think would happen if the Internet was "switched off" for a substantial amount of time - which I'd put anywhere between a few months to a year.

To paraphrase Life After People, this discussion isn't about how it could/would happen (I'm sure you could make up a logical or fantastical reason on your own), but rather what you think would happen to humanity and our world/way of life in the short and long term - considering how technology/internet-dependent many of us (and much of our lives) are.

I'd like to see the opinions that you guys may have regarding this scenario.
I would like to say I accidentally threw my phone in the sink and I was more regulated and also felt less lonely despite being lonely mainly.
So I think people do it for connection in a lonely world
But when I had a break I felt less lonely at first but also over time it may grow worse but there are withdrawals too.
It does dysregulate your brain in terms of I think it makes your sleep less good and you more disorganised but I do have traumas well.
The problem with it is the blue light gets so addictive for some people and I think it is meant to be addictive.
I think if you could learn to cope without it for each person, you would be better off in the long run even if you are not a very active person because you can always do other things. But it is tempting to play apps or talk online too.
For me, I would love to quit it
But then true I may be more lonely
But I would love to live like I used to just with a laptop or something without blue light
Because with smart screens on TVs and laptops people use so much screen time and get addicted
And people can get brain cancer and things

Nokia was and should still be the King of phones. I had Nokia phones from the 1990s and onward, couldn't beat them.
Nokia still is a company who has smart phones
And they are cheaper, have great cameras and have some sustainable ones.
Apple and Samsung are expensive and do both slave labour and child labour I think.

i think it would be better for the world, people would visit their neighbors and get closer again, instead of seeing them of 'facebook' through a screen.

The problem with it is the blue light gets so addictive for some people and I think it is meant to be addictive.
Some laptops have a night mode for the screen that drops the blue way down so instead of white your screen looks kind of amber. An easy thing for phone screens would be to put a clear amber plastic sheet over the screen. Someting like this. You can cut the sheets to screen size.

New Threads

Top Bottom