• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What to do as indenpendent contractor, US?

Karin

Hi,

I haven't been around this forum in a long time. Mostly I need to occupy myself with something not related to autism when I have a short break from handling things at home.

But now I have been offered not only my first real job in 10 years but my ideal job. I get to work from home (overseas) for a LA based game app company, assisting with customer support but also adding my unique expertise with two of their three games and in time become the liaison between the players and the company.

It is perfect for me as I can decide my own hours and my own space, vital to me by now. The task for me right now is to figure out what my hourly rate as an independent contractor should be. And what I should be aware of to have included in the contract. Obviously I will also have to take care of what needs to be done in my own country but that can wait a bit.

I don't know where to go on the internet to ask these questions so I try put them here. Looking for people with experience or forums for independent contractors working for the US.

- Karin

Hi,

I haven't been around this forum in a long time. Mostly I need to occupy myself with something not related to autism when I have a short break from handling things at home.

But now I have been offered not only my first real job in 10 years but my ideal job. I get to work from home (overseas) for a LA based game app company, assisting with customer support but also adding my unique expertise with two of their three games and in time become the liaison between the players and the company.

It is perfect for me as I can decide my own hours and my own space, vital to me by now. The task for me right now is to figure out what my hourly rate as an independent contractor should be. And what I should be aware of to have included in the contract. Obviously I will also have to take care of what needs to be done in my own country but that can wait a bit.

I don't know where to go on the internet to ask these questions so I try put them here. Looking for people with experience or forums for independent contractors working for the US.

- Karin

I am a independent contractor working in the US and I charge by the hour, but it is hard to say what you should charge. Are you going to be doing this full time or part time? What is normal for this industry? Did your prospective employer indicate what they are willing to pay? You do have to be careful here because not only do you not want to price yourself out of the job, you also want to get as much as you can. If I were you, I would research the industry extensively and possibly talk to the employer to try to determine what they will pay. Good luck.

It will be part time and I have nothing to go on from their side. They will not find another with my exact qualifications which is exactly what they need. But I also need them :)

It is as part of my research I post here. I am Danish, live in Denmark, will be still living in Denmark and I have absolutely no idea of what the going hourly rates are in the US or what to make sure is included. I know of a local forum where I can ask some of the questions concerning the practical matters of getting your income from overseas and I have posted there about the rates as well but no one knows much about the US.

I do not know what the hourly rate is in that industry. Maybe you could find out what the rate is in your area and convert it to USD. Since the company is in the US, you will be paid in USD. Your bank can convert it to your currency. You will get paid what ever you charge and taking care of the taxes is your responsibility. Remember, as a independent contractor, you are self-employed and should get more than a employee doing the same work. Keep researching to get the information that you need. Google is your friend.

We have huge taxes in Denmark, 25% VAT and all so I can't possibly compare. I have done a bit of freelance work in my own country and you are right about the income needing to be higher than if I was employed.

Right now I go for figuring out what I should be asking if I lived in the US, not really the company's fault I don't :) I haven't had a paying job in 11 years and no financial support from anywhere but my husband for a couple of years, so I'll take whatever is left after taxes :) Especially since I can't cope with a regular job with fixed hours. Just want to get the hourly rate right and not sell myself short there.

I would think your best bet would be to track such information pertinent to Danish companies who place people in full-time contractor positions. Reflecting cost of living and taxation considerations relative to where you live and work as opposed to your multinational employer.

But are your potential wages even a topic for discussion? Did they make it clear to you that you can make them an offer?

I once worked in Silicon Valley in software entertainment as an independent contractor designing websites for game products. Though I still had to go through a local independent employment agency to process all my paperwork. They offered me a flat hourly wage with no benefits. It wasn't up for discussion. Of course this was way back in 1999.

Yes, my wages is a topic for negotiations. It is not settled, probably in part because they would not be able to get anyone else with my exact qualifications (years of experience with their games as well as a background in marketing, customer service, etc.). But if I come considerably more expensive than someone based in the US due to expenses in Denmark, they may still decide to look elsewhere.

Yes, my wages is a topic for negotiations. It is not settled, probably in part because they would not be able to get anyone else with my exact qualifications (years of experience with their games as well as a background in marketing, customer service, etc.). But if I come considerably more expensive than someone based in the US due to expenses in Denmark, they may still decide to look elsewhere.

Probably best then to attempt to ask employment agencies or anyone with such expertise in your area locally. Those who routinely supply multinational employers with qualified personnel. It wouldn't seem to make much sense to inquire about wages and benefits issues anywhere in the United States under the circumstances.

At least to attempt to establish some kind of employment "benchmark" for your area...and then determine to bid lower if necessary to get the job.

Do you know anyone employed with European gaming corporations like Ubisoft or Vivendi...etc. ? Maybe someone in the industry could help if you actually know them.

My husband works in a local company that does hire foreign independent contractors, but they pay $100/hr :) Not likely in the US.

But it is settled now, to my satisfaction, and here is what I did:

I was given the link www.glassdoor.com by a friend. It is a US job database where people can have a year membership if they register their salary anonymously. I was able to research some other US gaming corporations, both in terms of titles and rate. Before I had found a conversion of monthly wages to hourly rate for the US.

From that information I was able to pitch a claim that, of course, I won't get right now but I will start out at the minimum I had intended, and as I had been able to prove my skills already I will go straight to being community manager rather than work with fixing tickets. If it works out the way we both expect, I will be paid more. Evaluation after 1, 3 and 6 months.

New Threads

Top Bottom