• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What subtype of autistic are you?

Sadly, each sub-type given is a negative......I am currently trying to lift my self-esteem as an adult with AS.
I've got to choose, "None of the Above"

If there were a "none of the above" or "not applicable", I would have chosen it as well. I'm not a dedicated fan of tests like this one, MBTI or the RAADS-R for example (the ones that everyone keeps putting in their signatures). They're good for passing time and maybe comparing results with others just for the fun of it, but that's where I stop.

The majority of us here have the common denominator of being on the autism spectrum, that's a given. Aside from that, however, everyone already knows who they are, and a quiz or some silly batch of questions isn't going to change that.

Interesting. I would have guessed more on the Stilted side since I can fake NT pretty well and hold a job (for the most part), but here's my results...

40% Active but Odd
40% Passive
20% Stilted

I guess I agree...

50% Stilted
30% Passive
20% Active but Odd

Although somewhat relatable, I can't put much stock in this because it is based on outdated notions like that autistics don't have empathy, and completely excludes the female autistic neurotype and/or its characteristics.

Last edited:
Agreed. Asperger's and autism are wildly broad diagnoses and we are all different, comparing why one person is on the spectrum to you isn't very helpful at times for that reason. That was why I struggled to accept it myself, it felt like everyone else's reason was valid but mine wasn't. And no one was clearly telling me why I was on now put onto the spectrum. So seeing things like this is helpful, and I hope it helps others to accept themselves too.

Happy birthday by the way.

Thanks for the birthday wish! Yes, I'm not officially diagnosed, so I'm riddled with doubt :) I read all these accounts of other people and it's so easy to write off my own experiences because they don't 100% match up with theirs. But I relate to a million other things, and quizzes like this are helpful.

50% Stilted
-Most people don't know I have AS upon meeting me. Most friends would just call me essentric. I wasn't diagnosed initial age 25.

-I was a gifted and highly independent child, averaging out as I got older. In university, I shut out everything to hyperfocus on studying.

-I am polite and hard working at my job but can get very upset at home if my routine is broken.

30% Passive
- I am definitely amiable, gentle, and easily led.

-I usually am drawn into social situations rather than starting them myself.

-I am reliable but naive.

10% Aloof
- I am hypersensitive to lights, sounds, smells, and more. This can occasionally make me withdraw from everyone to try to cope with my environment. Luckily I can cope most of the time.

10% Active but Odd
- I was very much like this as a child, enforcing rules and games for my friends that they found odd. But I have grown out of it and become a lot more passive as I've gotten older.

Everyone educated enough in autism knows despite sharing a lot of similarities, we are all different.

Lorna Wing described autistic people as being in one or in a few categories. They are:

Aloof
Most frequent subtype among the lower functioning. Most high-functioning in this group are a mixture of aloof and passive. Limited language use. Copes with life using autistic routines. Most are recognised in childhood. Independence is difficult to achieve. There may be loneliness and sadness beneath the aloofness. Rain Man is an excellent example of this subgroup.

Passive
Often amiable, gentle, and easily led. Those passive rather than aloof from infancy may fit AS. More likely than the aloof to have had a mainstream education, and their psych skill profiles are less uneven. Social approaches passively accepted (little response or show of feelings). Characteristic autistic egocentricity less obvious in this group than in others. Activities are limited and repetitive, but less so than other autistics. Can react with unexpected anger or distress. Recognition of their autism depends more on observing the absence of the social and creative aspects of normal development than the presence of positive abnormalities. The general amenability is an advantage in work, and they are reliable, but sometimes their passivity and naivete can cause great problems. If undiagnosed, parents and teachers may be disappointed they cannot keep a job at the level predicted from their school work.

Active-but-odd
Can fall in any of the other groups in early childhood. Some show early developmental course of Kanner’s, some show AS. Some have the characteristic picture of higher visuospatial abilities, others have better verbal scores (mainly due to wide vocabulary and memory for facts). May be specific learning disorders (e.g., numerical). School placement often difficult. They show social naivete, odd, persistent approaches to others, and are uncooperative in uninteresting tasks. Diagnosis often missed. Tend to look at people too long and hard. Circumscribed interests in subjects are common.

Stilted
Few, if any clues to the underlying subtle handicap upon first meeting. The features of AS are particularly frequent. Early histories vary. Normal range of ability with some peaks of performance. Polite and conventional. Manage well at work. Sometimes pompous and long-winded style of speech. Problems arise in family relationships, where spontaneity and empathy are required. Poor judgement as to the relative importance of different demands on their time. Characteristically pursue interests to the exclusion of everything and everyone else. May have temper tantrums or aggression if routine broken at home, but are polite at work. Diagnosis very often missed. Most attend mainstream schools. Independence achieved in most cases. This group shades into the eccentric end of normality.

There is a 10 question quiz you can take to help determine if you're not sure. The link is at the bottom of this page. Be aware though that they do want your email address at the end - that's how they get you. Give them an old email address or try a 10 minute mail address
I would definitely fit more into the Stilted group.

50%Passive

30%Stilted

20%Aloof

I feel like this is fairly accurate, though like was mentioned, I don't know how 'passive' I am. I'm gentle and try to accommodate, but I also can be stubborn as an old bull.

Of course! Lorna Wing was the one who discovered that autism is a condition that has varying degrees of severity, i.e a spectrum. We have her to thank for that.
she is one of my favourite peoples [and it takes a lot for me to like a human] i think the fact she had a profoundly autistic daughter and always took care of her gave her an insight into the complexities of autism.
i lived with a girl who was exactly like lornas dauhter;highly obsessive with drinking water, itd upset her and trigger her behaviors if anyone took the cup away from her to remove the last tiny drop.

30% Passive
30% Stilted
20%Active but Odd
20% Aloof

There were at least 2 questions that I really had to toss a coin to answer though.

50%
Passive
Gentle, suggestible and easily led, the Passive type shares some similarities with the Aloof type, such as seeming disengaged when attempting to process input and a spikey cognitive profile, though they struggle less than the Aloof type with both issues. They are perseverative thinkers and their passivity may manifest through delayed echolalia. This type are introverts and need time to recuperate after socializing. Emotionally sensitive, passive types may react very visibly and strongly when overstimulated, especially through anger and sorrow.

Passives are usually gentle, generous and friendly, but can quickly become distressed.
30%
Aloof
Aloof is more common in nonverbal Autistics. May appear to be disengaged but really have a very sensory way of processing the world around them. Aloof types may take longer to process input than other types of personalities. Independence may be difficult to achieve. Typical "spikey cognitive profile". Aloof types are deeply sensory and incredibly in tune with their environments.
20%
Active but Odd
Active But Odd is a common personality type among Autistics. In Early development, many active but odd types may fit into Kanner's profile and many into Asperger's. Many make persistent but peculiar attempts at reaching people. May be verbally repetitive. This type is great at rote memory and repetition of large swathes of facts.

I got 40% passive, 20% for all other subtypes. I'm surprised Aloof is as high as it is in my results, and overall I think I'm a mix between passive and active but odd. Depends on my mood

Interesting, don't usually use those kind of test things but this seemed pretty accurate.
Which Lorna Wing Type Are You_000121.jpg

I tried to take the test, bust the answers provided didn't match what I would do. For example:

You and your friends have had a trip planned for many weeks and the night before, they want to change the venue. Do you,
My answer would be to get frustrated and tell them sternly that I need more warning, then be cold and aloof for the outing. Maybe just cancel completely.

I would personally say that I am a mix of Active-but-odd, Passive, and Stilted. I see symptoms from all three but none are exact.

New Threads

Top Bottom