• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What kind of earplugs do you use?

Darwin

V.I.P Member
Hi, everyone.

I, like many here, need some quiet time sometimes. I tried many different kinds of earplugs but they are far from perfect. Sounds around me are not completely blocked, and the plugs themselves are irritating and cause itching. I can't use them for more than an hour a day because of that.
What do you suggest? Are noise-cancelling headphones good? I read that they only blocked noises, but not voices of people. I need something that blocks noises and voices. I don't wanna hear anything.

Simple point here technologically. To eliminate most if not all external sounds, you need expensive, noise-cancelling supra-aural headphones for that. Bose or Sony...consistently ones rated the highest over the years. I've actually tested them in stores...damn things really work as advertised. But the price....ugh.

I use ear protectors ($15-$20) to temporarily cut down loud unwanted outside noises. Same ones I use at the firing range. Also to deal with landscapers routinely using leaf blowers nearby. With ear protectors one can still use ear plugs or ear buds, though they tend to be quite tight against your head. And with noise reduction ratings of between 25 and 34db, don't expect actual noise cancellation you'll find with expensive ($300+) headphones.

If you do choose those expensive headphones, whatever you do to store them, do not fold them. This seems to cause the most common form of breakage rendering one or both L/R channels useless.

Robot Check

Last edited:
Same here, ear protectors. Cannot tolerate things in my ears. I have several pairs around the house, bought at hardware stores. Yet my husband who's also an aspie has worn ear plugs for as long as I've known him. He uses the sponge type as well as the wax earplugs.

I used to use the sponge type when I lived in capital citiies. Could not sleep without them. I've had a nice quiet interlude in the country, but I'm about to go back to the city, so it's back to the spongeworthy sounds of life.

Simple point here technologically. To eliminate most if not all external sounds, you need expensive, noise-cancelling supra-aural headphones for that. Bose or Sony...consistently ones rated the highest over the years. I've actually tested them in stores...damn things really work as advertised. But the price....ugh.

I use ear protectors ($15-$20) to temporarily cut down loud unwanted outside noises. Same ones I use at the firing range. Also to deal with landscapers routinely using leaf blowers nearby. With ear protectors one can still use ear plugs or ear buds, though they tend to be quite tight against your head. And with noise reduction ratings of between 25 and 34db, don't expect actual noise cancellation you'll find with expensive ($300+) headphones.

If you do choose those expensive headphones, whatever you do to store them, do not fold them. This seems to cause the most common form of breakage rendering one or both L/R channels useless.

Robot Check

Same here, ear protectors. Cannot tolerate things in my ears. I have several pairs around the house, bought at hardware stores. Yet my husband who's also an aspie has worn ear plugs for as long as I've known him. He uses the sponge type as well as the wax earplugs.

I think ear protectors might be better given that noise-cancelling headphones are much more expensive. Will try them. Thanks!

I used to use the sponge type when I lived in capital citiies. Could not sleep without them. I've had a nice quiet interlude in the country, but I'm about to go back to the city, so it's back to the spongeworthy sounds of life.
I currently use the sponge type. Unfortunately, they irritate my ears.

I think ear protectors might be better given that noise-cancelling headphones are much more expensive. Will try them. Thanks!

Just understand that ear protectors subdue sound. But they don't eliminate it.

But for temporary situations they work pretty well for me. And that if you use ear buds, chances are that you can wear them underneath your ear protectors. Great way to watch television when there are unwanted sounds beyond my living room.

Be sure to pay attention to the ear protectors NRR (Noise Reduction Rating). The higher, the better. I don't think they go past 34db though.

I use Mack's Ear Seals. I find them more comfortable than other brands I have tried. There is also a thing called earmold lubricant that basically you put it on your ears and it makes earplugs more comfortable.

I use Mack's Ear Seals. I find them more comfortable than other brands I have tried. There is also a thing called earmold lubricant that basically you put it on your ears and it makes earplugs more comfortable.

I have never head about "earmold lubricants" before. Maybe they will actually help making earplugs more comfortable. I think I will give them a try. Thank you

I’m very happy with my noise canceling headphones. I don’t use earplugs because they usually don’t fit well and keep falling out, plus they irritate my ear canal which is already very sensitive and frequently inflamed.

I’m very happy with my noise canceling headphones. I don’t use earplugs because they usually don’t fit well and keep falling out, plus they irritate my ear canal which is already very sensitive and frequently inflamed.

You meant active noise-cancelling headphones, right? Is it Sony? Do they cancel voices of talking people? Because I read that, by cancelling noises, voices of people actually become more clear.

You meant active noise-cancelling headphones, right? Is it Sony? Do they cancel voices of talking people? Because I read that, by cancelling noises, voices of people actually become more clear.
I use Sennheiser active noise cancelling headphones. I usually listen to music on them, but even when I don’t and they’re on they reduce all noises around me, including talking people.

I use these

http://Mack's Hear Ear Plugs (1 Pai....co.uk/dp/B00BM23MPK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I can still hear my husband speaking to me and most things around me, but everything is muted. I generally hate wearing earplugs, but I've found these ones I don't notice. I would like ear defenders but I don't go out alone and I would feel bad if I couldn't hear my husband at all and tbh I'd probably be at more risk of not noticing something like a vehicle if I couldn't hear at all.

I wore my earplugs to town today and took them out while we stopped for a coffee, and I was amazed at how much they actually stopped me hearing and how much they muted everything else. I like the fact that I can still interact but my super sensitive hearing isn't being bombarded by a million other sounds too.

If I referred to 'foam' previously, it's just that I don't know the jargon field, someone else used the term 'silicon putty' which rang true for me. For me foam = silicone putty. Sometimes I forget I'm speaking with my own tribe of oversensitive hearers.

I use these

http://Mack's Hear Ear Plugs (1 Pai....co.uk/dp/B00BM23MPK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I can still hear my husband speaking to me and most things around me, but everything is muted. I generally hate wearing earplugs, but I've found these ones I don't notice. I would like ear defenders but I don't go out alone and I would feel bad if I couldn't hear my husband at all and tbh I'd probably be at more risk of not noticing something like a vehicle if I couldn't hear at all.

I wore my earplugs to town today and took them out while we stopped for a coffee, and I was amazed at how much they actually stopped me hearing and how much they muted everything else. I like the fact that I can still interact but my super sensitive hearing isn't being bombarded by a million other sounds too.

I find it hard imagining Mabel Pines wearing earplugs :) She is ... loud.

But thank you. 2 others recommended Mack's. They seem really good.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom