• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your travel style?

I love to travel and currently in South Korea. Oh, best add that it is via internet and feel so safe. Away from the horrors of thousands of people!
I agree Suzanne, actual travel is so stressful with the crowds of people. Google street view is great. I always use it to walk the streets virtually before going anywhere, as new places create great anxiety.

I’m not sure what I love more – travel, or the planning and anticipation thereof.

To read through a guidebook, or to browse travel websites online is a guilty pleasure – to live vicariously through the writings and photographs of others, wondering if and when I might get to see and experience a place myself..

As solo traveller who doesn’t drive (sensory concerns, like many on the spectrum), I recognize that some places and experiences, like the California Coast, are off-limits unless I hire a private guide. I’m pretty pragmatic about that – no sense getting upset about things you can’t control, and I suppose if at some point in my life I come across a travel buddy, then great – there’s some places I’d love to explore together with them.

Anyways, once I have an idea of what I want to see and so, I’ll start figuring out the logistics – train and bus schedules – what are the frequencies? First and last service of each day? Sometimes I may have several days in a “base” but based on transit availability and museum hours (or maybe I happen upon a free day, or a community festival), I’d need to arrange to visit specific places at certain dates and times.

When building a schedule, I always allow for flexibility. You never know if you might encounter delays, find a charming shop that you want to hang around in, or realize that you have the opportunity for a spontaneous side trip.

I recall having two days in Vienna, and having done a quick walk-through of the city on my first, and seeing how close the other countries were, and the inexpensive train tickets, used the second day for a day trip by train to Brno (Czechia) and Bratislava (Slovakia), allowing me to cross two countries off my list that I hadn’t intended on visiting at all.

I mostly like independent travel, but where day trips are available at a modest cost, and/or transit is not convenient or feasible, I’ll book one. Examples of where day trips are handy include the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas, a Stonehenge and Avebury tour (from Bath or London), or Hadrian’s Wall / Vinolanda from Edinbugh. I don’t build in time for multi-day tours, but some, like Scottish Highlands, I’d love to do in the future. One of the challenges in North America, compared to our European friends, is that we just don’t get as much vacation time, and so there’s always the trade-off being seeing more places, or getting to know a region more in-depth.

Some of my best experiences are when I forget to pack a guidebook, and then in amazement stumble upon some landmark while wandering around, be it the July Column (Place de la Bastille) in Paris or the Spanish Steps in Rome.

I try to follow a “when in Rome” mindset when traveling (including, as I mentioned in another post, a tendency to visit local supermarkets to see what's different) and prefer to pack light – usually just a carry-on with several versatile sets of clothing. Ultimately, it’s about the experiences and memories rather than souvenir hunting, though of course I’ll bring back some knick knacks as well.
I did a long tour of Scotland with Globus. Would do it again at the risk of missing something I'd never seen. Actually considered moving there as a result. Very calm and relaxed.

I agree Suzanne, actual travel is so stressful with the crowds of people. Google street view is great. I always use it to walk the streets virtually before going anywhere, as new places create great anxiety.
Thank you! I didn't know that was possible. I've always gone the day before to reduce my anxiety.

Traveling style......

Since my vehicles up to recently have been mechanically-able wrecks, I usually grunged my way by myself over back-country routes to see the arcane and beautiful. Breakdowns were rare; but weather events were often nuts, especially southern Utah in monsoon season. Camped, then every few days would stay in a cheep motor-court motel. Carried all my food, water and supplies. Good times.

Last year I took a 20 year old Japanese car (barely broken in!) with my Lab from northern California to as far east as Superior WI, through Montana. Nice to have A/C and cruise control!

Only been to Europe twice, I've used Eurail and a backpack. Would like to go back.

Generally, I avoid "industrial tourism" (Edward Abbey)

My travel style?

Wake up my daughter at 2 am. Ask her "Do you want to go to California?"

We each lightly pack a backpack. Put on rugged shoes. Go outside. Hop in the car.

Pack blankets to sleep in the car.

Go to Dollar Tree. Load up on canned food we can eat right out of the package.

Pick a destination. Most likely it'll be the mountain I grew up on. Route isn't set in stone. Wander on a "Magical Mystery Tour" until we eventually make our way to the ranch I grew up on.

Get red earth on my feet, and finally feel like everything makes sense. Catch horney toads and alligator lizards. Drink well water.

Run away from home. And don't come home until I'm good and tired and out of gas money.

I need a car. I wanna go home again. Anyone in the Pac. NW got a cheap reliable one for sale?

Last edited:
I've never been on a package or organised tour, I don't think I'd like that because of the social aspect of a group tour. I'm not keen on beach holidays either, because for me sitting on the beach or by a pool and not doing anything is boring - I like to be active, like to explore. Also, I have fair skin, don't tan and get sunburned easily - so not for me.

Haven't been travelling for a while, but in the past, chose a destination, taken the car and looked on the map or online to see what might be of interest along the way, slept at budget hotels, visited sites of natural beauty, archeological sites, museums, walking. Hate crowds, hate queues, so tend to avoid the really touristy sites - I haven't even been to the new Acropolis museum yet - or, go at a time of year when they aren't so busy, in October or November, for example.

I like guided tours, it is stressful for me if I need to search for something in new place myself. On Croatian coast the pain for me, even on places I know well is finding a free place in restaurant.

I like guided tours, it is stressful for me if I need to search for something in new place myself. On Croatian coast the pain for me, even on places I know well is finding a free place in restaurant.
I like both the structured and unstructured. Once, while working out of Zagreb, I took a vacation to enjoy Dubrovnik (before the cruise ships started stopping there) and also took a sea kayaking tour out of Lopud. It was a great tour.

More recently I went to Thailand, and saw things on my own but found the outfit "With Locals" and arranged some tours with them, from going to the night markets to learning about Buddhism, which gave me more ideas for going off by myself.

I like both the structured and unstructured. Once, while working out of Zagreb, I took a vacation to enjoy Dubrovnik (before the cruise ships started stopping there) and also took a sea kayaking tour out of Lopud. It was a great tour.

More recently I went to Thailand, and saw things on my own but found the outfit "With Locals" and arranged some tours with them, from going to the night markets to learning about Buddhism, which gave me more ideas for going off by myself.
Dubrovnik was great for me partially becuase I chose the right time od the year. I was there from 3 January to 5 January. There were very few tourists then. I don't know when were you in Croatia. In 1990s there were no tourists because there was a war.

Dubrovnik was great for me partially becuase I chose the right time od the year. I was there from 3 January to 5 January. There were very few tourists then. I don't know when were you in Croatia. In 1990s there were no tourists because there was a war.
I was there from 2008 to 2009. On the road to Plitviče Lakes I saw some of the combat damage in the area where Croatia makes an angle. I really enjoyed Zagreb and especially the concerts in the St. Catherines courtyard during the summer and then the Christmas market. My spouse's mother is from Croatia, so I picked up ornaments for her family that has tha crests of Zagreb and Croatia.

My AS mother was the real traveler. She insisted on a family flying vacation before jets before my child discount expired. A few years later, she booked a passenger cabin on a freighter to Australia, and camped around the outback in a Holden station wagon. She continued on around the world, and then settled into motor camping half the year, visiting the Atlantic one year and the Alaska Highway the next. She'd just cruise to the next free campground and read another book.
I have flown around a bit, and it would never occur to me to use a travel agent. More often I've done straight-through drives of two or more days, rotating drivers, in order to attend events after rushed preparations. All the peak moments of my life were hazed over by lack of sleep, despite the adrenalin keeping me going.
My pleasure trips were by bicycle. I researched the route for the big one, but neglected the winds, so I changed plans from following the coast further north and did a loop through the mountains. Just as it was getting chilly from altitude, I found a warm hat beside the road. I also got cautious and carried extra water uphill, against general principles, and had just enough when the camp at the summit was dry. I probably blundered through some moderately dangerous situations near "civilization."
I currently have a full camper in a compact car, and only one seat. I don't want to try digesting restaurant food, and I might need a nap at any time. I have also hitchiked from Devner to Winnipeg, via Calgary, keeping to a 4-day schedule and putting up posters along the way.

New Threads

Top Bottom