• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the worst movie you ever saw?

dudeman
Ahh, thanks for correcting me on the director. It's funny that top billing is given to directors, even when they are merely in a producing role. Still; it bears many of the hallmarks of Bay's style, of which I am not a fan.

Off the wall plot's I am okay with. The original live action movie was actually rather subdued in comparison to the source material, the most outlandish thing being Splinter and the turtles themselves. The notion of a ninja youth gang terrorizing New York was also fanciful, but at least within the realm of feasibility. Though I preferred "Secrets of the Ooze" as a kid, I grew to appreciate the first film more as I got older, largely for how it took a wacky premise and managed to ground it in a kind of reality. I think this was a strength for a lot of genre films in the 80s, leading up to the 90s.

That said; there has been no time like the present for film makers to realize their most outlandish visions. The line between animated film and live action grows increasingly arbitrary, and there is virtually nothing you can imagine that can't be put on screen. I have to admit, I am a bit excited to see what Krang looks like in "live action".

As for the characters; I'm just going to agree to disagree.

The world of bad cinema is such a deep rabbit hole! Allow me to pick some low-hanging fruit and name Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest. I honestly thought it was hilarious, but was later informed (by several sources, including this forum) that it was actually NOT meant to be funny, that it was meant to be a real mystery/action film. So does that count? :p

Interesting. I thought the story itself was pretty good. But one too many scenes were simply executed badly to the point of being preposterous. But then the first thing I always notice about the film is the soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann. Pure genius.

One Hitchcock film I particularly liked, was a dismal failure at the box office. "Torn Curtain". Perhaps moviegoers were frustrated with a movie with Julie Andrews without any singing. I thought it was a decent story though...and another great soundtrack by John Addison.

"Frenzy" certainly wasn't one of Hitchcock's better films either. Seemed more like a campy film vehicle for Vincent Price in the early 70s. But I enjoyed those films for what they were...like Dr. Phibes and Theater of Blood. Films before the slasher genre hit the silver screen.

As a kid, I thought the "Starman" series films coming from Japan were so bad they were fun. Godzilla would have probably puked watching them. :p

Last edited:
Eragon was awful. The moment the baby dragon flew into the sky and came back an adult as the result of "magic", I knew I was in for the worst movie I'll ever see in my life. Too bad, because I loved the book. Reading about the main character raising a dragon and bounding with it was one of the best parts of the book.

I forgot something worse than Jimmy Hollywood. Fata Morgana. I can handle art films, but that was ridiculous...ly boring.

Jack and Jill
Titanic
Bride of Chucky
E.T. the Extraterrestrial
Howard the Duck
John Q
The Bourne Legacy
Seven Pounds
Les Miserables (2012)
Frozen

Elektra - I liked Jennifer Garner in the Alias series and was disapointed that the Elektra film was so poor.

Elektra - I liked Jennifer Garner in the Alias series and was disappointed that the Elektra film was so poor.

To be fair, the comics are just as ridiculous so they captured the spirit of the source material perfectly. Whether or not that makes a good film is a matter of debate, but it is a reasonably faithful adaptation.

Just a general question: Why is it that the movies closest to the comics (Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, X-Men 3, etc.) are always called the worst ones? Are people lying when they say they want faithful renditions or are they simply embarrassed for non-comics-readers to find out how silly the comics really are?

To be fair, the comics are just as ridiculous so they captured the spirit of the source material perfectly. Whether or not that makes a good film is a matter of debate, but it is a reasonably faithful adaptation.

Just a general question: Why is it that the movies closest to the comics (Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, X-Men 3, etc.) are always called the worst ones? Are people lying when they say they want faithful renditions or are they simply embarrassed for non-comics-readers to find out how silly the comics really are?

I didn't know anything about the Elektra comics, so what you have mentioned about them and the film having captured the spirit of the source material, is useful dudeman :)

There aren't many films based on literature/comics, apart from Harry Potter, where I've read them before seeing the movie, so it's interesting to hear that the movies that are closest to the comics are always called the worst ones. Are there any of the comic-to-film movies that you have read the comics for? Does the ridiculuosness of the Electra comics, and possibly others, actually work in comic form?

Perhaps the elements that make for an enjoyable expereince in a book or comic, don't translate well into film. I felt like there was alot of detail left out of the Harry Potter films that made the books a more interesting, satisfying and the characters and plot lines had more depth. In my opinion, the films were more focused on creating a dramatic expereince.

(FYI, the latest season of the good wife has finished in the UK. I'm looking forward to the next one:))

Are there any of the comic-to-film movies that you have read the comics for? Does the ridiculousness of the Electra comics, and possibly others, actually work in comic form?

I'll give you an example: Green Lantern is an excellent rendition of the comics' tone and style, but due to the nature of the Green Lantern Corps, Oa, Parallax, etc., it comes off as cartoonish and apparently that's not what people were looking for in a live action film, even though there really was no other way to do a faithful adaptation. If they tried to make it brooding and serious, it wouldn't be Green Lantern. The same year, there was a Green Lantern animated series that was pretty much just like the movie but was much better received. Go figure.

Fast forward a couple years and we have Guardians Of The Galaxy which is even more cartoonish and over-the-top than Green Lantern and that film was a giant hit. Have audiences finally gotten over their snobbery? Only time will tell, but things are looking up.

Avatar the last airbender: The Movie

..Shag carpet Appa

.... -sigh- that's all I can say on this movie without going into a full-blown rant against shite anime -> movie adaptations

Avatar the last airbender: The Movie

..Shag carpet Appa

.... -sigh- that's all I can say on this movie without going into a full-blown rant against shite anime -> movie adaptations

Different strokes I guess. I'm a fan of the show and I thought they did a pretty good job on the movie. For one thing, they finally pronounced the names right, unlike the show which was, for the most part, pronouncing them wrong the whole time. Seriously, if you're going to have Asian style names for your characters, know how to freakin' pronounce Asian style names!!!

Also, I thought doing the story as a straight epic fantasy was a perfectly valid way to adapt it and if they had to condense twenty episodes to two hours, changes to the plot were inevitable so I thought they did the best they could, under the circumstances.

Oh, and to clarify one thing: People complained about the film having a mostly white cast, yes? Well, that wasn't actually Shaymalan's fault. He certainly got blamed for it by ignorant fanboys, but the studio mandated he do it that way and if he'd refused, he'd have been fired and replaced by someone who didn't care about the franchise the way he did. Apparently, there was quite a lot of executive meddling on that film and all Shaymalan could really do was make the best of a bad situation.

Different strokes I guess. I'm a fan of the show and I thought they did a pretty good job on the movie. For one thing, they finally pronounced the names right, unlike the show which was, for the most part, pronouncing them wrong the whole time. Seriously, if you're going to have Asian style names for your characters, know how to freakin' pronounce Asian style names!!!

Also, I thought doing the story as a straight epic fantasy was a perfectly valid way to adapt it and if they had to condense twenty episodes to two hours, changes to the plot were inevitable so I thought they did the best they could, under the circumstances.

Oh, and to clarify one thing: People complained about the film having a mostly white cast, yes? Well, that wasn't actually Shaymalan's fault. He certainly got blamed for it by ignorant fanboys, but the studio mandated he do it that way and if he'd refused, he'd have been fired and replaced by someone who didn't care about the franchise the way he did. Apparently, there was quite a lot of executive meddling on that film and all Shaymalan could really do was make the best of a bad situation.
to be fair i watched it till i saw appa then turned into 'angry yoda' then flipped my laptop closed

Blair Witch Project. I am to cheap to walk out, but I was not happy about paying for us to see that. My wife thought it was scary, I thought it was stupid.

I saw a Bug's Life shortly after seeing Antz. A Bug's Life was probably the beginning of my failing affection for Pixar movies.

Well the worst are the types of horror film that are apparently bought by Lionsgate and some other smaller companies and released straight to DVD, yet are never seen on DVD anywhere. Anyone who's ever been on a torrent site will know what I'm talking about, those movies that you only ever hear about because they showed up on the newest uploads. No Tell Motel would be one of them. I've suffered a whole bunch of those but don't remember their titles. I'll just say they make films by The Asylum look like fine art.

As for real Hollywood movies, the worst would have to be something like The Village or Dragonball Evolution. I would say Twilight but it's an easy target.

I do not remember the title of it, but it concerned WWll and began by showing
rape and killing of a mother and daughter. It ws shown at the Aspen (Co) theatre, down the street from where I lived at the time. I ran out, into the snow, crying to our apartment. Had nightmares about that for years.

Boxing Helena will have a reserved spot on my all-time worst movies list. It was so bad that I had to sit through it to believe it. I've never felt mad that I watched any other movie. Can't think of any others right now.
I just watched the trailer, and even that was so bad that I'm currently on the verge of laughing. I think I'm going to have to post the link for that trailer in the Last Things that Made You Laugh thread.

New Threads

Top Bottom