• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is hypersensitivity like?

Could you give me some examples of what hypersensitivity feels like in every day life?
As a NT it is really quiet difficult for me to even and try imagine what it's like.
Thanks!
Hypersensitivity is like when there is something triggering and your brain goes into panic and you can't think straight and you have a hard time managing yourself. It would be like, I guess, a bomb going off in the brain and you can't respond positively to it. Everyone has different triggers, but one of mine is neon or bright light, so when I am around those things, my brain gets "cloudy" and I can't think straight. This causes frustration and then ends up in a meltdown with no control. It is like a train I guess. One thing triggers another thing. Hypersensitivity is hard to describe. You really need to experience it to understand it. But imagine your mind as a computer. If something goes wrong, what does a computer do? It shuts down. That is how our minds work. If something triggers our brain, then our brain fights back with negative responses. That is how you know what hypersensitivity is like. It feels like an explosion in the brain. Sometimes my brain gets "full" meaning it feels heavy and it doesn't work right. Hot showers often help me after an overstimulating day. Hope this helped.

Could you give me some examples of what hypersensitivity feels like in every day life?
As a NT it is really quiet difficult for me to even and try imagine what it's like.
Thanks!
(I understand that pregnant women have similar sensitivities. My NT wife did.)

On my paper route, I trike by propane storage tanks. When one of them is leaking (not very often), it almost knocks me off of my trike (from 300' away). When I reported it, the police couldn't smell it until they were right on top of it. (BTW, this is one feature that non-ASD gifted have in common with we on the spectrum.) The policewoman's sense of smell could have been diminished, if she was a smoker, though.

Hypersentivity.

Well, I'm not sensitive to lights or loud songs, but I am sensitive to things like fire alarms. Weird textures are well, weird. I hate pistachio pudding, and I'm sure it's because it tastes band (and) has a weird texture.

Sometimes, it's everything going on around me (everything put together) at a public place that is kind of overwhelming. I tend to filter out certain things by listening to music or reading.

However, I like public places at times and I do find them energizing.

Curiously, I am usually not prone to hypersensitivity, except when I am on stimulant medications. Furthermore, the character of my hypersensitivity changes depending on which drug I am on.

On Welbutrin I acquired an intense aversion to light. At first I noticed that the glare from the white house across the street was unbearably painful to look at. I started turning off lights, turning down the brightness on monitors, and waring shades whenever I left the house. Soon even cloudy days were too bright for me to tolerate. At my worst I needed to completely block out all light. Closing my eyes in a dark room wasn't even enough, I had clasp my hands over them as well, then I would feel fine, but I would be stuck like that until my senses dulled a bit.

In addition to the mere physical pain there was a more intangible sense of being overwhelmed by visual stimuli. During this period I went to book store and found myself bombarded by information. When I would turn around all of the colours and textures flying by would give me a sense of vertigo. When I opened a book the glaring white of the pages felt like a blast to my brain. The whole experience was very stressful and gave me palpitations.

On the auditory front I like to use the analogy of a mixing board. Imagine that every sound in an environment is on its own fader. Usually my brain would take foreground noises, like the person I am talking to, and turn up their volume. Meanwhile, all of the other conversations, white noise, and so on gets placed low in the mix, perhaps even completely faded out. In my hypersensitive state everything was mixed at the same volume. Environments I had previously thought of as relatively quiet were now unbearable cacophonies. Every conversation, foot step, light bulb, air duct, slamming door and scribbled notepad was right there at the foreground of my awareness. It wasn't painful, but it was taxing. Any abrupt or loud sound, however, would make me feel frightened. I was always asking my mom to speak in a quieter voice and turn down the TV at this time.

On another drug I found myself with some sensitivity to light and a pronounced pain response to loud or moderate sounds. Being a musician this was especially excruciating as I couldn't practice without earplugs.

It's like... yesterday I was in a crowded cafe and i could hear about 3 conversations happening at the same time, it felt like having a fire alarm and a jackhammer and an out of tune radio inside my head. I was shaking and wanted to cry.

Some every day sounds such as small children crying sound like someone running their fingers down a blackboard. Sound is distorted: I hear high pitched sounds at a higher volume than others. I can hear squeeky car brakes right across town. If a seem in my sock is badly placed, it feels as if I've got a pebble inside, and a label or something hard in my clothes feels like someone is pricking me with a needle. If a dog barks or people are talking when I'm working, I can't concentrate because I can't block them out, I can't understand a conversation if two or more people are talking at once, or if there is a TV or loud music playing. I can't walk on the beach and enter the sea barefoot to swim because the pebble cause me too much pain. Smells are very intense and some can make me feel nauseous, so I dislike perfume and cologne intensely. Some artificial lights can seem way too bright to me, like looking at the sun, and it takes my eyes a while to adjust to a difference in light intensity, so I really dislike glare from the sun, flashing lights and watching TV in a dark room. The flickering of a bright TV screen is painful to my eyes.

New Threads

Top Bottom