• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your shutdowns like?

i've never had a real meltdown (other than frequent temper tantrums as a child), i know that as my limit approaches i become visibly irritated and rather unpleasant to people around me. After stressfull periods i do however shut down, i have to go to my dark and quiet room and put on netflix and avoid phone calls and basically feel like a zombie. I can lie in bed for days and still have no problems falling asleep at night. Its weird, i've been home for a while now and i have no appreciation for how long its been, i lay in bed and have no energy, but my days still fly by which is weird for me as i usually get very bored very quickly. I had a 'social weekend' last weekend and have mostly stayed in bed for the last 4 days.

It is the same for me. I really wish it weren't. I want to spend more time with my friends but I almost get sick after a day of socializing. They can spend every day together and I can't. I feel bad about that but I cannot change it. I want to learn to accept who I am. I do not know if I can. I hope I find out.

i've never had a real meltdown (other than frequent temper tantrums as a child), i know that as my limit approaches i become visibly irritated and rather unpleasant to people around me. After stressfull periods i do however shut down, i have to go to my dark and quiet room and put on netflix and avoid phone calls and basically feel like a zombie. I can lie in bed for days and still have no problems falling asleep at night. Its weird, i've been home for a while now and i have no appreciation for how long its been, i lay in bed and have no energy, but my days still fly by which is weird for me as i usually get very bored very quickly. I had a 'social weekend' last weekend and have mostly stayed in bed for the last 4 days.

It is the same for me. I really wish it weren't. I want to spend more time with my friends but I almost get sick after a day of socializing. They can spend every day together and I can't. I feel bad about that but I cannot change it. I want to learn to accept who I am. I do not know if I can. I hope I find out.

i pretty much know my own limits so that i can limit my downtime, buying sound cancelling headphones is a great way to isolate myself in a pinch. I just get kind of trapped though, i've got it all planned out to minimise the damage, i arrive 15 mins early, of course most everyone else arrives a half an hour late, but my clock is already counting down, then it inevitably overruns and i'm past the duration i'm comfortable with but can't find a polite exit. I realise i can't force people to be like me, if i say anything it would be perceived as being 'unreasonable', so i stay and am eventually wiped out when i get home. I also feel guilty quite a bit, i have a fiancée, she likes to go out to restaurants and enjoy the ambiance of the people there. She is a great person, does her best to understand me and i'm very lucky she puts up with me, so i always feel bad about limiting her, when we go out for dinner i try arriving at opening before most people arrive, sit as far away as possible from tables that look like they were set for larger groups, refuse to sit near a table with a crying baby. For me going out to eat is a 20 minute affair, arrive early, already know what i want, order, eat, pay, get out - but i can't impose that on her, its just not fair. I'm not sure what to do about it though, it's a damned if you do damned if you don't, i do it her way and know it will likely end unpleasantly or do it my way and restrict her life to accommodate my shortcomings. So i feel guilty about restricting her. To makes things worse she blames herself for missing my signals, which makes me feel even more guilty.

Thank you Judge. Reading some of these now...

Me too. I usually need a day or two alone just to be back to (my) normal self after a social day. I wish I could do it faster, but my body just feels wrong...lethargic, usually with headaches or, worse, throwing up when the social weekend is particuarly harrowing.

. I have gotten these jarring moments where my brain gets stuck on two thoughts, I can't talk much because of it and I get severely nauseated.

I just happened to come across something with seizures that mention something called 'forced thinking', something that happens with partial simple seizures. It's apparently quite rare. I wondering if this is it. It could make sense.

New Threads

Top Bottom