• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

"Reality TV" all of it makes me really angry, real house wives, big brother, the x-factor, the voice all of them are horrendous, fake, vapid and make me want to rip off my own face

God yes. It's good to know I'm not the only one who feels like taking a sledgehammer to the T.V. set whenever one of these stupid shows is promoted right in the middle of something else I want to see. Interrupting a programme for the sake of pushing something on to us that no one with an ounce of sense would ever watch due to its inanity, is just plain rude, in my opinion. It shows extreme disrespect for the viewer, we are treated like fools (yes, ok, I suppose it is rather foolish to waste one's life in front of a screen, whether a T.V. or a computer, so maybe they are just trying to encourage us to turn the silly thing off and actually live life, rather than watch others on the screen pretend to, in which case we should probably thank them).

...or any "news" service that does this. I guess they must think everyone is super-fast when it comes to deciding which article to read. People who are patient and thoughtful - i.e. us - don't exist in their world.

I also have a problem with people eating noisily, or just people chewing food in general. I often keep to myself about it in real life, but it still gets on my nerves. Some people chew softly, which I appreciate. It's like hearing nails on a chalkboard, maybe I'm just highly sensitive to hearing food sloshing around in their mouths. What's weird is it doesn't bother me to hear myself chew, it's only on other people... There's even a name for being annoyed with other people's chewing, it's called misophonia.

I haven't seen one of those in ages :D
Firefox with full tilt Adblock plus ;)

I'm watching on iPhone with an app, so ad blockings not so easy. Used to use a different app rather than youtube's own, but it's not working now. Might have to look for another.

One thing that annoys me about the app for AC is that whenever someone shares a news item on an external website, I only get a few seconds to read before it all gets covered by some sort of blank popup.

I'm watching on iPhone with an app, so ad blockings not so easy. Used to use a different app rather than youtube's own, but it's not working now. Might have to look for another.

One thing that annoys me about the app for AC is that whenever someone shares a news item on an external website, I only get a few seconds to read before it all gets covered by some sort of blank popup.
Oops,my bad,my blind old eyes would not get along with watching on a tiny screen :D
I had the AC app on my phone and wasn't real keen on it either ;)

Call me tight but I object on principle to paying an extra £6.30 for IMAX at Cineworld Cinemas because I already pay £16.90 a month for the Unlimited card (otherwise I'd only be able to go once in a blue moon at nearly a tenner a ticket, I go at least once a week now) the only exception was when me and Dad went to see Star Wars Episode 7 last year, Dad wanted to see it on IMAX so I paid the extra.

The reality show one is a good one. It is like they can't have a straight up documentary series from the US anymore, they all have to be in the candid reality format and have some level of fake involved. Talking heads sequences that were clearly filmed months before or after they are portraying them to be. Over here we only have a few shows like that, 'The only way is Essex' is one. That show particularly annoys me as they show my old area and pretend it is part of a town twelve miles away, also quite a few of the cast are local to there and everyone knew their real back stories and who they were really dating and so on, the show is just a scripted bunch of lies.

I don't think of these things as "weird," but they do annoy me.

Using the word "they" as a singular pronoun.
Using the word "hopefully" when "I am hopeful that..." is appropriate.

Seeing posts that are a mass of unparagraphed text

No capital at the beginning of a sentence
Not capitalizing the first person pronoun

The reality show one is a good one. It is like they can't have a straight up documentary series from the US anymore, they all have to be in the candid reality format and have some level of fake involved. Talking heads sequences that were clearly filmed months before or after they are portraying them to be. Over here we only have a few shows like that, 'The only way is Essex' is one. That show particularly annoys me as they show my old area and pretend it is part of a town twelve miles away, also quite a few of the cast are local to there and everyone knew their real back stories and who they were really dating and so on, the show is just a scripted bunch of lies.

Yeah, I think reality shows are annoying as hell - especially since there seems to be a fair number of them (like Big Brother, Made in Chelsea and The Only Way Is Essex) cluttering the screens across several channels.
I remember watching a video some time back by a YouTube user called VoteSaxon07, who was wanting Robot Wars to be brought back (he's getting his wish this year) - arguing that it would be much more entertaining and educational then "watching people cooped up in a house all summer". The following is one of his arguments.
"TV executives behind these shows say that reality is cheaper to make, but reality shows are exactly that; Basic, cheap entertainment that offers little substance to the viewer".

I don't think of these things as "weird," but they do annoy me.

Using the word "they" as a singular pronoun.
Using the word "hopefully" when "I am hopeful that..." is appropriate.

Seeing posts that are a mass of unparagraphed text

No capital at the beginning of a sentence
Not capitalizing the first person pronoun

Even when describing non-binary people?

I don't like food with D.N.A. in it :)
LOL. There was actually a poll conducted by Oklahoma State in which 80% of respondents supported the labeling of food containing DNA. Pesonally, I would rather see a label for food that didn't contain DNA.

Ah, no. The reason people do this is because they recognise that we are superior to animals, in so many ways (ex. our ability to empathise, sense of justice, capacity for selfless altruism and self-sacrifice - you get the picture), combined with the fact that we were created in the image of God (Darwinism is rubbish, I have to say - we are not apes, that's just patently absurd and obviously fallacious).
I don't wish to turn this into a religious debate, but for the reccord, I completely disagree with this point.

To the OP: this drives me insane as well! In fact, I basically hate all forms of advertising. They are often so unrealistic and so in your face, it's hard to deal with and I can't stand it.

I know but a lot of non-binary people choose to refer to themselves in the singular as 'they'....

I am aware that people use the plural pronoun
due to a lack of anything other than he/she.

I understand, but that is not pertinent to my
sense of annoyance at a word being used in a
way that is inappropriate.

Even if the individual were part of a set of
conjoined twins, the person would still be
one individual.

The Danish formal version of 'you' would also annoy then, as it is De, which is 'they'. They never use it anymore though.

New Threads

Top Bottom