• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

LostInSilentHill

Terrible Gaurdian Angel
Does anyone else have unusual things that bother them? Um, let me explain,

I get very angry and upset when I see an ad/commercial that assumes it knows what I think like 'You've always wanted to travel to blank...' And I'm like no. No NO NO. I've never wanted to do that. Don't assume you know what I want.

Also I get mad when an ad or sign tells me what to do, like a sign said I needed to buy more shoes or I need to stop and read the advertisement and I'm like, WTF no I don't. Don't tell what to do, that's stupid.

It makes me really upset and no one else understands why, I try to explain it to them but they say that it's just an ad or commercial. I drives me crazy.

Preachy advertisements telling me how I'm supposed to be. A family member used to yell at the television, and I have on occasion, shouting at 'it' to shut up. Now I have the mute button, but I still see their faces attempting to stupidly tell me what to do. Most of my anger at advertisements is the absolute dishonesty of them, making up scenarios that are entirely inane. Probably to get my attention.

Seems everyone is trying to sell us something. Consumer marketing has become synonymous with propaganda techniques.

What really bothers me are those who invent elastic demand where it never existed and advertise it as if it were a form of inelastic demand. An equation I consider to be more akin to bullsh*t squared. Or "the big lie". :eek:

I manage to survive without things like handheld electronic devices or SUVs. Imagine that. :p

Last edited:
When I try to search for something on a search engine and, when showing me my results, it says at the top Did you mean?
(I know what I meant, so stop trying to guess otherwise).

It's for this reason as well that I also hate predictive text on mobile phones;

Predictive Text: "I'm just going to where? Up the Pub?"
Me: "No."
Predictive Text: "I'm just going to where? Up the Road?"
Me: "No!"
Predictive Text: "I'm just going to where? Up the Shops?"
Me: "No - Shut up!"

Womens sleeveless summer tops, with arm holes that come down low on the body so they don't cover the bra.

Womens sleeveless summer tops, with arm holes that come down low on the body so they don't cover the bra.
I'm plus sized so most tops have either too big armholes or huge sleeves, because they think all women my size have massive arms. In reality I don't know any women my size with arms that big.

Yeh adverts really annoy me too, there was one a while ago i forgot what it was advertising but it showed a river fish jumping into an ocean. Why would that fish jump in the ocean??

Another one was a canasten (thrush cream) advert which was a woman in line suddenly started itching and it said easy too apply anytime. Like that would apply there would anyone just drop their trousers while standing in a line and slap it on.

Im a logical thinker and stupid stuff like that annoys the crap out of me.

Jonathan Ross seriously winds me up, I mean OK I sympathise that he can't help not being able to pronounce his Rs, but his voice still does my head in.

Shane Richie also annoys me for similar reasons.

Also the damn Haribo advert, on what Planet is advertising children's sweets using grown adults talking like mentally handicapped 5 year olds good practice?

And finally, bad grammar, your equals you're! FFS how flippin' hard is it?!

People with piercings in their tongues and they insist on sticking it out so it pokes between their lips, just seeing it when they talk winds me up.
People who lisp or talk in lazy gang-land style E.G Thang instead of thing.
The noises smartphones make when texting its either that bloody whistle or a dripping sound like a lump of jelly dripping onto the floor.

Yeh adverts really annoy me too, there was one a while ago i forgot what it was advertising but it showed a river fish jumping into an ocean. Why would that fish jump in the ocean??

Another one was a canasten (thrush cream) advert which was a woman in line suddenly started itching and it said easy too apply anytime. Like that would apply there would anyone just drop their trousers while standing in a line and slap it on.

Im a logical thinker and stupid stuff like that annoys the crap out of me.

Yeah I understand that. I don't understand how people can be okay with such illogical things. Like this sign that said

P.M.S. : Purchase More Shoes

No that's not what it means at all it stands for Pre-Menstrual Syndrome. My friend said it was a joke but it's not funny at all. It's annoying and inaccurate.

I hate historical dramas with clothing, hairstyles, furniture and appliances out of period. Particularly anything from the 20th century as I know enough about recent history to spot mistakes. Also any TV shows and films set in a certain place but clearly have been filmed somewhere else with totally different topography, architectural styles, landmarks, buses and other clearly noticeable details that belong to the filming location but not where they are purporting it to be. Like if you're pretending to be in London at least bother to borrow or hire some red buses (and not 80s buses sprayed red). In the case of Doctor Who they are particularly lazy, they could have at least chosen an urban looking school without rolling green hills behind to be Coal Hill-I live just a mile up the road from Shoreditch and there is nothing remotely rural or hilly about any of it, it is next to the city of London.

I get fed up about people moaning about everything, the weather, traffic, sports teams, office being too warm too cold etc.

I hate historical dramas with clothing, hairstyles, furniture and appliances out of period. Particularly anything from the 20th century as I know enough about recent history to spot mistakes. Also any TV shows and films set in a certain place but clearly have been filmed somewhere else with totally different topography, architectural styles, landmarks, buses and other clearly noticeable details that belong to the filming location but not where they are purporting it to be. Like if you're pretending to be in London at least bother to borrow or hire some red buses (and not 80s buses sprayed red). In the case of Doctor Who they are particularly lazy, they could have at least chosen an urban looking school without rolling green hills behind to be Coal Hill-I live just a mile up the road from Shoreditch and there is nothing remotely rural or hilly about any of it, it is next to the city of London.

I imagine the new Doctor Who spin off Class, will have these same issues.

When I try to search for something on a search engine and, when showing me my results, it says at the top Did you mean?
(I know what I meant, so stop trying to guess otherwise).

It's for this reason as well that I also hate predictive text on mobile phones;

Predictive Text: "I'm just going to where? Up the Pub?"
Me: "No."
Predictive Text: "I'm just going to where? Up the Road?"
Me: "No!"
Predictive Text: "I'm just going to where? Up the Shops?"
Me: "No - Shut up!"

I research information on different subjects on the internet a lot. The search engines are all the same, they list a bunch of sites that want to sell you something or do not have anything to do with what you are looking for. I have to sift through all of that stuff to find what I want. I know that advertising pays the bills, but it is still very annoying.

Unexpected noises, noises of tapping, dripping, and the banging of pots and pans can drive me to anger.
The constant, inaccurate advertising EVERYWHERE. You don't need thousands of products to raise a child. You only need, food, diapers, clothing, transportation items, and bedding. The 6 isles of baby items in the store drives me nuts.

The brainwashing of girls to think that being an "independant woman" means to dress half naked and sleep with every man you meet....thanks Beyoncé!!! *eye roll*

The fact that cheerleaders have to wear short skirts and shake their asses while in school settings for the purpose of "team spirit".

The fact that sex is everywhere, on TV, the stores, I can't even get through a day without seeing people naked. If I want to see a naked person I would look in the mirror, or go be with my husband. Why is everyone else's sex life suddenly my business?

The news in general -people are stupid, they don't learn from their mistakes, the world is f"cked.

Generalized statements. "Every girl knows..." "Only girls will get..." 'Every girl has thought..." etc.

And to a lesser extent, flakes that are peeling off of things, and when stacks of things are uneven.

I hate it when people say something like, "I don't eat food with chemicals in it.", or, "That fabric is full of chemicals." All matter is made of chemicals people! Be more specific. Say, "I don't eat food with synthetic additives.", or, "I don't wear petrochemical polymers." Furthermore, actually learn something about the chemicals that comprise the world around you so you aren't just blindly fleeing from anything that sounds too sciency. When I point this out to people they tell me to calm down, that I know what they mean. Well, that may be the case, but I am not convinced they know what they mean, and the coloqueal use of the word "chemical" only contributes to the deplorable state of scientific literacy in the general public.

An other one that bothers me is when people refer to humans and animals as though those are to seperate categories. "Do you like animals or people better?", someone might ask. One might as well ask, "Do you prefer apples or fruit?"

It also really bothers me when the news wastes time covering celebrity weddings and babies. How is that important to anyone, especially considering all of the legitimately interesting and pertinant things that could be reported on? My rage only increases exponentially when royalty is involved as giving those people more attention only reifies what I see to be an unjust and archaic institution.

I hate it when people say something like, "I don't eat food with chemicals in it.", or, "That fabric is full of chemicals." All matter is made of chemicals people! Be more specific. Say, "I don't eat food with synthetic additives.", or, "I don't wear petrochemical polymers." Furthermore, actually learn something about the chemicals that comprise the world around you so you aren't just blindly fleeing from anything that sounds too sciency. When I point this out to people they tell me to calm down, that I know what they mean. Well, that may be the case, but I am not convinced they know what they mean, and the coloqueal use of the word "chemical" only contributes to the deplorable state of scientific literacy in the general public.

An other one that bothers me is when people refer to humans and animals as though those are to seperate categories. "Do you like animals or people better?", someone might ask. One might as well ask, "Do you prefer apples or fruit?"

It also really bothers me when the news wastes time covering celebrity weddings and babies. How is that important to anyone, especially considering all of the legitimately interesting and pertinant things that could be reported on? My rage only increases exponentially when royalty is involved as giving those people more attention only reifies what I see to be an unjust and archaic institution.

I agree. If you are going to say something, why not get it right? If you can not do that then you should not say anything.

I find this annoying too! I only found out I am an aspie in my mid-twenties, and up until then I would RAGE when really manipulative programming came on TV. Sometimes I kept it to myself, but a lot of the time, especially with family, I would just vent about how stupid the show or ad was, and not understand why everyone else was enjoying it. Everyone would just get upset with me for pointing out all the flaws and ruining the fun; I honestly had to leave the room or I'd get into a horrible mood just from being exposed to it. Shows like American Idol, those cooking reality competitions, anything that purposefully utilises hyperbolic dramatic strategies for pulling in high audience ratings and maintaining viewers. Ads felt like they had scripted a role for me without knowing me, which also pissed me off (still does!). I was irate, my throughout process was 'I see through this! I see what you're trying to do! You must take me for an idiot if you think I'm going to fall for this!'. A lot of my friends/family will watch an ad or one of those shows and get teary, or laugh, or say 'What a great ad/show/plot-twist!' And I am just sitting there thinking... 'who are these people, how do their brains work, and what kind of planet do I live on?'. I think it really has a lot to do with being an Aspie and hating being lied to or misled, but also being pretty damn good at recognising those things given how often it's happened to me throughout my lifetime. It all just felt scripted and fake (and I'm probably also hyper-sensitive to feeling like people are faking interest in me, and/or running through a 'social script' that I don't necessarily identity with). Now I've learned to just save up and implement those critical analyses into my academic work, instead of unleashing my rage upon whoever is in the room with me trying to enjoy their TV programming. It turns out a critical eye and a bit of irateness can pull some pretty decent grades when it comes to writing good work in university!

I am annoyed by all ads except the ones for things I really like, such as Disney. :p I use Adblock and try to avoid ads on Hulu as much as possible - often I mute my computer and refresh the page a few times before watching something to try to get a trailer or trivia game so I can do that instead of have the content be interrupted by ads. Unfortunately I can't always get this option because Hulu's ad system is corrupted. They've started making the ads UNMUTABLE so I have to use system volume to mute them instead of the regular volume option! Apparently the best way to sell something is to FORCE it on people.

New Threads

Top Bottom