• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Webcomics vs. Graphic Novels

NoKipAr on the run

I have always wanted to make a Graphic Novel ever since I got a book on how to do them for Christmas one year,
plus I have like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too many webcomics now. here's the link: it's been like this forever that I have so many ideas. I'm even making a trailer for my work!

so what do you think?
are Webcomics going to have to be the next logical step? or are comics in print going to have to go the way of the Dreamcast?

you choose.

Feel free to express your ideas for Graphic novels, and your tales of Webcomics.

Webcomics will be prominent and print medium will be predominately a collectors and exception based application. On the other hand this is what I thought about vinyl records which has made a minute bit of a comeback outside the collector sphere. Maybe? Thoughts?

Webcomics will be prominent and print medium will be predominately a collectors and exception based application. On the other hand this is what I thought about vinyl records which has made a minute bit of a comeback outside the collector sphere. Maybe? Thoughts?

Great analogy, George. I think you're onto something.

Though it's also no secret how the pace of pop culture can be. Will it trend, and for how long, etc. etc.. Sometimes such things make my head spin. Particularly technology itself. In whatever direction it may go at any time...lol.

Still, the very notion of things progressing and regressing in the same time frame is fascinating to observe.

Last edited:
I grew up reading comic books. Had two collections over my life - the childhood ones tossed in a cardboard box (and tossed by mom ... grrr... ) and the one I bought and boarded and wrapped and stored in comic boxes.
I love comics because, while I'm a great reader, I have to skim several times to get a full digestion of what is being said. I still read fast. But with age, I read slower, and I need reading glasses, and I can't read in my favorite posture (which hurts my back).
So comics, I can read the text, take in the picture, and it is digestible in that format, especially when the art is amazing! And now I prefer the screen. I have DC Unlimited and am reading and rereading some great books. I do wish I could access Image, or Dark Horse as well. I don't really miss Marvel.
Anyway, my vote would go for web comics. I've had some comic ideas myself, and that is the only way I'd go. I would update regularly, have plenty of backup posts, and move at my own pace, even taking breaks as needed. Cliffhangers, ya know?
Also, to publish a full book at once would be easy. Do it and upload. Just need a host.
Ads can create revenue, I would make mine relatively unobtrusive if I ever did that for myself.

I'm primarily familiar with Japanese manga, and honestly the biggest bloody frustration I always had with it was I'd be following a given series, buying them as they came out at the local book store, and then.... oh gee golly what a surprise CANT FIND THE REST OF THE SERIES

This happened way too frequently, I gotta say.

Digital media though? No trouble finding it, that's for sure.

That being said, I'm not much for webcomics myself. Mostly, I have a hard time finding stories that actually catch my interest, and it's very easy for me to just forget something is there even if I do have an interest (because of waiting between uploads). I'm used to Youtube, which is like "HOLY EXPLODING PENGUINS, BATMAN! THIS GUY YOU ALWAYS WATCH RIGHT AWAY JUST POSTED A VIDEO! WOWZERS!!!" and it definitely makes sure I dont miss the stuff I focus on the most. Usually.

Without that, I get lost. Memory like a cheese grater.

I've lost track of where I was going with this. Was I going anywhere at all? Not sure.

I've made a few webcomics. There aren't many success stories in the webcomics world, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to do a joke-a-day comic with a simple art style. The medium doesn't lend itself to complex art or storytelling. No one wants to read the "Lord of the Rings" one page update at a time, especially if we're talking about a comic that updates once a week or month. And that's a perfectly reasonable update schedule for a webcomic with a heavy art style.

New Threads

Top Bottom