• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Water Treatment

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I am soooo thirsty right now. The city water has recently had about five million gallons of either chlorine or the local pool dumped into our water supply for what I assume are "sanitary purposes". All I know is that it tastes bad. I miss being at home with the well water. Granted, it always had a nasty egg/dirt taste because there was a touch of sulfur in it. I don't understand why some people actually drive long distances to drink official sulfur water from natural springs. Next time I get some spare change I'm going to get a Brita filter or something to put on the end of the sink faucet. I just don't like buying bottled water, all the plastic seems a waste. I know there's always Koolaid and stuff where I could mask the public pool taste, or flat out drink Sprite or something, but I switched to water for economic reasons a few years back and now anything else kind of makes my mouth feel coated and dry.

How about you? Do you dread that time of the month when the city treats their water? Are you fortunate enough to drink well water? Got a favorite drink?

I happen to live in a place that has the best-tasting tap water I have ever had. While the water treatments certainly aren't going to do you harm (and probably some good, as, fluoride is typically added to most municipal water supplies, but that's moot if you brush your teeth on a regular basis anyway), all I can say is, yeah, you'll probably have to either get a Brita filter or find some bottled water until things improve. I have a pretty high tolerance for "nasty" tap water myself, but I understand others' disgust of it.

I happen to live in a place that has the best-tasting tap water I have ever had. While the water treatments certainly aren't going to do you harm (and probably some good, as, fluoride is typically added to most municipal water supplies, but that's moot if you brush your teeth on a regular basis anyway), all I can say is, yeah, you'll probably have to either get a Brita filter or find some bottled water until things improve. I have a pretty high tolerance for "nasty" tap water myself, but I understand others' disgust of it.
Ewwwww, fluoride. It and the chlorine might be why I feel bad so often, I don't mix well with chemicals and get sickish from them often. The dentist and I argue around and around every time about him thinking the nausea and stomach cramps being worth a fluoride treatment. Hrm... I wonder how many other Aspies have chemicals sensitivities? Fairly common, or another case of "George just lucky I guess"? o_O

I prefer spring water. We stopped buying it recently and switched to Zero Water filters. It removes lead out of water that's why we chose it but, unfortunately filters don't last long. For me, the type of water I drink makes a huge difference. I don't like how most purified water tastes, not all spring water tastes good either. With Zero Water filters it tastes pretty good. When filters are almost done the water starts tasting disgusting. My younger son is also very particular about water he drinks. My older son doesn't care much about it and my husband doesn't understand why would anyone drink plain water :) according to the city our water comes from underground and "naturally pure", but apparently it may pick up contaminants on the way.

Luckily I've only lived in one place in my entire life where the water tasted ghastly.

Chula Vista, California.

To me, water shouldn't "taste" at all!

Last edited:
I just drink the tap water with natural water flavorings sometimes, but Waldo drinks filtered water. He's spoiled. :rolleyes: And the water has to be "moving" too, otherwise he won't drink it. Whatever.

I use a brita filter. I don't like the way the water tastes otherwise, and bottled water is too pricey. But, I grew up on tap water. It's only now that I can tell the difference.

Edit to add: When I lived in Arizona, I drank fresh water from the local springs. It tasted amazing.

I live in an area, that compared to most places in my country, has really good water straight from the tap. If I'm correct it comes from the Eifel area in Germany, which is just across the border.

Of course, it gets treated, filtered and all that, since I doubt many sources are naturally drinkable anymore, if any at all. But there's no taste of sulfur, nor calcium in it here. It's funny, since my aunt, who lives 5 miles up north, gets her water from a different source, and regularly has to buy those calcium tablets for her coffee machine because of all the calcium that remains in there.

Despite all that, I do like to buy bottled water sometimes. But with all the natural sources here, that do bottled water I can't really think of a favorite; Chadfountaine, Spa and Sourcy are all fine to me.

My area in the UK to me doesn't have the best kind of tap water compared to some other parts of the UK, so I end up resorting to bottled waters. They just simply taste better imo.

Maybe I should just buy one of those filters if I decide to keep drinking tap water? Never really considered it until I read this thread.

I drink bottled water. The little boy that i watch drinks filtered water from the fridge's dispenser. I put flavoring in my water - propel zero - to mask the lack of taste, plus its supposed to be healthy.

After about four or five days most of the ickiness has dissipated. I think. I did have about two servings of Sunkist in my cup earlier today that's probably masking any residual leftovers from the community pool. :yum:
Those little single serving thingies for bottled water does look rather tempting, I might have to try one sometime.

I do look forward to the day I can get a filter for the end of the faucet. If I had a "modern" fridge, I'd probably just use the little dispenser. It's on the list when the day comes we're in the market for the new one. Definitely one with the little locks on it just in case that day comes before my kid has lost his fascination with the little levers.

After about four or five days most of the ickiness has dissipated. I think. I did have about two servings of Sunkist in my cup earlier today that's probably masking any residual leftovers from the community pool. :yum:
Those little single serving thingies for bottled water does look rather tempting, I might have to try one sometime.

I do look forward to the day I can get a filter for the end of the faucet. If I had a "modern" fridge, I'd probably just use the little dispenser. It's on the list when the day comes we're in the market for the new one. Definitely one with the little locks on it just in case that day comes before my kid has lost his fascination with the little levers.
If you leave a glass of water to sit for half an hour, or so, the chlorine within it will evaporate.

There are apparently problems with a lot of bottled water. Not actually usually the healthiest choice.

I grew up in a city where the water pumped from the wells is clean enough to put straight into city supply untreated.
One day however there was a terrible chlorine taste, and I rang up to complain. They admitted that when they do work on the pipes they will add chlorine to kill anything that may have got in. But they also claimed it was so little no one would be able to taste it. I've since wondered if it's because I'm aspie that I could taste it.
I once attended a college which would periodically bleach all the drinking cups. That was horrible too!

I grew up in a city where the water pumped from the wells is clean enough to put straight into city supply untreated.
One day however there was a terrible chlorine taste, and I rang up to complain. They admitted that when they do work on the pipes they will add chlorine to kill anything that may have got in. But they also claimed it was so little no one would be able to taste it. I've since wondered if it's because I'm aspie that I could taste it.
I once attended a college which would periodically bleach all the drinking cups. That was horrible too!
I worked once in a professional kitchen where bleach was part of the dishwasher's process. HOwever...it was very thoroughly rinsed off!!!

I can't belive I use to live in Windsor, Ontario which is a city use the Detroit river as a drinking source. Yet I am still alive. Halifax where I live now gets it water from a fresh lake source. However, sewage water goes into the habour. Wish humans had better ways to manage waste water.

I've never been able to stand straight tap water from any source.

The place I grew up was named for the purity of the water in the area. Still need flavouring at a minimum.

Here, we get our water from a 120-mile aqueduct so it originates in the Precambrian Shield, where water is generally better. Still need flavouring.

(At least I'm not my sister, who gets sick from non-Shield water. Yipe.)

New Threads

Top Bottom