• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Was Jeff Beck one of us.

Ronald Zeeman

V.I.P Member
Jeff Beck died a few days ago watching u tube videos on him. Know strongly suspect he was one of us his special interest. was electric guitar. not music, not even guitars just electric. The more I understand his background the more I see one of us.

Can you link a few of the videos about him that you found interesting?

Sorry I'M not that computer literate. I watch U tube on my tv. I've known of his music since the sixties. He was always recognized as a guitar virtuoso even then his back story is what now interests me. He was not big on touring, making music did not have a genre. All he cared about was experimenting on the instrument. in other words, a special interest and obsession.

Last edited:
I think a lot of successful creative people are on the spectrum. It takes a certain level of dedication and attention to detail to become a virtuoso, and spectrum folk tend to engross themselves in things to extreme levels. Makes sense to me, anyhow. Edward Van Halen was no doubt on the spectrum as was Ric Ocasek (The Cars) - both IMO. If we looked and collaborated we'd probably make a big list of "suspects" lol.

Autistic virtuosos (in any field) also have the ability to take things in new directions - places where NT's wouldn't have conceived you could go with something. Lots of ground breaking people have to have been on the spectrum. Einstein, for instance, had to be.

Devastatingly, if you look you will find almost all super successful people were born into well-off families. No, really - google your favorite celebs, CEOs, and YouTubers. It seems a prerequisite to success is having excess familial resources while one is young and developing in order to eventually rise to the highest levels of notoriety. Did you know Einstein's parents were well-off financially and he married into a very wealthy family? Yeah, nobody talks about the huge gap between wealthy children's' success and everyone else's chances of "making it" (in any field).

Perhaps the best electric guitarist, at the top of a very elite and unique group IMO. RIP.

Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Brian May, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Tom Scholz, Dave Gilmour, Keith Richards, Eddie Van Halen, Dave Stewart, Nancy Wilson and so on. So much talent!

No doubt this list can be added to....whatever order you choose to put it in. :cool:

Last edited:
at the top of a very elite and unique group
And a dying group. While many pop stars play guitar (Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, and H.E.R. (who just released a signature Fender Stratocaster)) there are no more guitar heroes.

But, many people still play the guitar and are very, very good. Since pop music has gotten away from playing instruments as part of the attraction, the guitar people have gone into a pseudo-underground beatnik-esque society. Dip your toe into it and you quickly realize how much you suck at playing guitar.

While I'd heard a lot about Jeff Beck over the years, I never took the time to seek out his work. Ironically, I just saw this thread pop up while sitting here listening to his album "Blow by Blow". Not at all what I expected, and I will be seeking more.

Jeff Beck died a few days ago watching u tube videos on him. Know strongly suspect he was one of us his special interest. was electric guitar. not music, not even guitars just electric. The more I understand his background the more I see one of us.

I think you’ll have to be more specific as to why you suspect he was autistic. Only 1% of the population is; so chances are, he wasn’t. I also don’t attribute creativity to autistic people. Of course some are, but most are more “robotic.” Archives of facts or skills. Also the inflexibility and black-and-white thinking of autistics make us poor artists, generally.

He was a member of the English rock band, the Yardbirds. That period was his only major commercial success during his career.

Years later, the lead singer was killed in his basement from accidentally being electrocuted.

@Kalinychta

Music language are facts within the confinement of set rules

Patterns ( infinite probabilities)
Modes
Modulations
Structure
Subdivisions
Frequencies
Mathematics
As with all rule systems, one must understand them first .We can then proceed to break the rules and make it into our own art .
Music theory!

Depending on environment ,some Autistic minds can develop an understanding of this complex language, even before learning to speak verbal language.

I did

Last edited:
Had temper traumas when he got frustrated. married once divorced within couple years. Never remarried for 30 years completely obsessed over his special interest electric guitar. never had any interest in playing acoustic guitar. Even when he played brilliantly; he thought it was crap.

Finally, it takes on top know one. I personally do not like the way Jimmy Hendrix played. does not sound like music. I I never listened to beck much but can hear the difference. I Think he was a better technical player. Hendrix relied on distortion too much. for my taste.

My Cousin is a drummer and hairdresser see, the same Perfectionism. in him probably the best technical drummer in the GTA he was top off his class in hair dressing school went to New York to work under the best barber just to get cutting guys hair correct. First time in my life women have commented on the quality of my cuts. Worth the once every 6 months cut and hour and 1 half drive, as it is also social.

Last edited:
I got exposed to a band in high school CCR, many hits then fell off the radar watching videos of the back story I can really tell he is one of us. Just the way he does things.

I got exposed to a band in high school CCR, many hits then fell off the radar watching videos of the back story I can really tell he is one of us. Just the way he does things.
I just read John Fogertys biography and I was wondering that myself about him, was even thinking the same about his father as well based of the information in the book .

There was no diagnosis at that time the more u-tube videos on him that I watch the more convinced, I am I can see him in myself as I would act the same way.

There was no diagnosis at that time the more u-tube videos on him that I watch the more convinced, I am I can see him in myself as I would act the same way.
Same here , his approach to music is very similar to mine .I noticed the same on the YouTube videos .

New Threads

Top Bottom