• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Volunteering with special needs children

Yes, it's a great idea this equal opportunity thing, but in a capitalist marketplace where people are seen as resources to be used, it's hard to see how it could actually be equal across the board.

It's low risk to put in ramps to allow a wheelchair access for your accountant, but another thing to give a job to someone with neurology that you don't understand, and that could cause problems you can't forsee.

The only way it will change is if business is made aware of the advantages that hiring ND types can bring.

Back on topic - I'd give it a try. It may not be right for you, but sometimes the wrong path can take you to the right one.

Low risk to put in a ramp for a wheelchair bound employee, but in a lot of cases even that doesn't guarantee you an interview much less actually getting the job.

I've applied to Sheffield City Council under the "2 ticks" thing before now and they keep saying I haven't declared my disability, even though I do every time.

Low risk to put in a ramp for a wheelchair bound employee, but in a lot of cases even that doesn't guarantee you an interview much less actually getting the job.

I've applied to Sheffield City Council under the "2 ticks" thing before now and they keep saying I haven't declared my disability, even though I do every time.

I've applied to 3 apprenticeships all with the "positive about disabled people" badge, which isn't even a requirement. They choose to offer the scheme, and yet in all 3 cases blatantly discriminated against me.

I've applied to 3 apprenticeships all with the "positive about disabled people" badge, which isn't even a requirement. They choose to offer the scheme, and yet in all 3 cases blatantly discriminated against me.

Pretty much any pursuit of work (paid or volunteer) involving the care, custody and control of children (disabled or not) is going to carry an elevated degree of liability where potential employers exercise the highest degree of scrutiny.

Another one of those "Catch-22" situations where one's disability can work against them whether it may constitute discrimination or not.

Last edited:
Pretty much any pursuit of work (paid or volunteer) involving the care, custody and control of children (disabled or not) is going to carry an elevated degree of liability where potential employers exercise the highest degree of scrutiny.

Another one of those "Catch-22" situations where one's disability can work against them whether it may constitute discrimination or not.

These jobs had nothing to do with children, sorry if I didn't make that clear. One was in the back office of a postal firm, one was again, in an office environment, and the other in a train station doing engineering work. (0 interaction with the public in any case, certainly not children.)

These jobs had nothing to do with children, sorry if I didn't make that clear. One was in the back office of a postal firm, one was again, in an office environment, and the other in a train station doing engineering work. (0 interaction with the public in any case, certainly not children.)

Ahhh...I see.

Do you think all these office jobs had anything to do with your issues regarding telephones?

I think you should go for it and I wish you the best of luck! I myself want to help people like me some day and also children in hospitals.

Ahhh...I see.

Do you think all these office jobs had anything to do with your issues regarding telephones?

It was 100% just on pc's all day long tbh. I never mentioned any of my issues regarding anything, just that I was autistic. I never got past the assessment stage, they never made any accomodations for me to get an interview. (it's law in the UK if you're on the disability positive scheme, you have to give all people who declare a disability an interview.)

It was 100% just on pc's all day long tbh. I never mentioned any of my issues regarding anything, just that I was autistic. I never got past the assessment stage, they never made any accommodations for me to get an interview. (it's law in the UK if you're on the disability positive scheme, you have to give all people who declare a disability an interview.)

That's bad...and no doubt quite common. You got "knee-capped". They gave you an interview yet you never had a chance the moment you went through the door acknowledging your autism. I've experienced the same in job hunting. Where they take one look at me and dismiss me on age alone. Quite illegal technically speaking as well on our side of the pond. What drove me to become self-employed....or eventually run out of money.

Unfortunately this is a legal dynamic often discussed in our forums. That laws (usually civil ones) made to protect certain groups of citizens are never a guarantee that they'll be either enforced and prosecuted, let alone obliged by private sector employers.

That in most cases it becomes incumbent on you to wage such a grievance as a plaintiff in a civil legal action. Which may involve having to extend your personal resources to some degree. That you cannot depend on the judiciary or law enforcement to function proactively over such issues compared to violent crimes. Sadly a legal dynamic that spans any number developed nations' legal systems.

That's bad...and no doubt quite common. You got "knee-capped". They gave you an interview yet you never had a chance the moment you went through the door acknowledging your autism. I've experienced the same in job hunting. Where they take one look at me and dismiss me on age alone. Quite illegal technically speaking as well on our side of the pond. What drove me to become self-employed....or eventually run out of money.

Unfortunately this is a legal dynamic often discussed in our forums. That laws (usually civil ones) made to protect certain groups of citizens are never a guarantee that they'll be either enforced and prosecuted, let alone obliged by private sector employers.

That in most cases it becomes incumbent on you to wage such a grievance as a plaintiff in a civil legal action. Which may involve having to extend your personal resources to some degree. That you cannot depend on the judiciary or law enforcement to function proactively over such issues compared to violent crimes. Sadly a legal dynamic that spans any number developed nations' legal systems.

Again, sorry if I didn't make myself clear... They discriminated against me by *NOT* giving me an interview, contrary to the law. That's what I meant.

Again, sorry if I didn't make myself clear... They discriminated against me by *NOT* giving me an interview, contrary to the law. That's what I meant.

No, my mistake. I just wasn't taking you literally. Wow...THAT'S really quite brazen of them legally speaking. But it does play into the cruelty and arrogance of those who aren't afraid to break such laws because they anticipate you as someone who doesn't possess the resources to legally pursue their transgressions.

I totally understand the ones who legally provide the appearance of a job prospect, only to turn you down to skirt around the law. But this? This is something else. That's just evil. Though I suspect this sort of thing would be more prevalent with much smaller employers- sole proprietors as opposed to corporate operations with sophisticated human resources departments and legal counsel.

I'm sorry you or anyone else reading this has dealt with this sort of thing in the job market. It's just not something I've heard of in a very long time. Though we are separated by an entire ocean and nationality.

Last edited:
No, my mistake. I just wasn't taking you literally. Wow...THAT'S really quite brazen of them legally speaking. But it does play into the cruelty and arrogance of those who aren't afraid to break such laws because they anticipate you as someone who doesn't possess the resources to legally pursue their transgressions.

I totally understand the ones who legally provide the appearance of a job prospect, only to turn you down to skirt around the law. But this? This is something else. That's just evil. Though I suspect this sort of thing would be more prevalent with much smaller employers- sole proprietors as opposed to corporate operations with sophisticated human resources departments and legal counsel.

I'm sorry you or anyone else reading this has dealt with this sort of thing in the job market. It's just not something I've heard of in a very long time. Though we are separated by an entire ocean and nationality.

Actually no. All 3 of these companies ( I won't name them ) are very large corporations, probably even well known outside of the UK. 2 of them even count as being in the public sector, I think - working for the UK government.

Actually no. All 3 of these companies ( I won't name them ) are very large corporations, probably even well known outside of the UK. 2 of them even count as being in the public sector, I think - working for the UK government.

Hardly surprising you didn't get a position working for the UK government, it's well known the Tories hate all disabled people, hence all the suicides from benefit sanctions.

Yep, the government/DWP arguably has blood on its hands IMO.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom